TT course knowledge
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: TT course knowledge
Fair enough, but I have never heard of it. If the road off to the left IS called "Gardeners Lane, I can't see a problem.
Silja, I believe that the only time you would see "Sky" spelt "Skye", would be when we are referring to the "Isles of Skye" off the west coast of Scotland.
05-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(04-01-2016, 11:20 AM)Splashdown Wrote: There are quite a few names changes I will never be using, among them, "Dukes" for the "32nd", "Milky's" for "Ballaspur", and "Joey's" for the "26th Milestone". No offence to those riders.

The facts are that time and people move on, and changes WILL occur. The more frequently riders, spectators, and marshals use the new names, the sooner they will become adopted.

In 104 years things happen so that parts of the course get known for an event, or a fallen rider. We have to remember too that the spectators change over time - clearly no-one has attended every TT on the Mountain Course - so 'new' names can take hold as those using the 'old' names don't return.

As a vague analogy it's a bit like who you think of as James Bond - often it's what you first knew. Similarly JM130 still refers to the Superbike TT as the F1 race.

Using Nick's examples above, as a relative newcomer to the TT to me the 26th is "Joey's" but the 32nd and Ballaspur remain just that - probably because they are the common parlance that I've heard around the Island in my short time attending.

I know that "Dukes" is an 'official' name - a tribute given rather than as a result of an event - and wonder how McGuinness's and Molyneux's will be regarded in 5, 10, 20 years time. My guess is that they will fare better as they didn't have well known names beforehand.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
05-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
That's a really good point, do names get accepted quicker if they are not replacing other names, in some ways I think they are.

But it's well over 10 years since the 32nd was renamed Dukes, but as a marshal who has only ever know it as Dukes its still referred to as the 32nd from our next marshal post, Windy Corner and also by a lot of other people. However when I ride over the mountain, in my head I think of it as Dukes maybe the signs get into your subconscious and that's what helps ingrain them into new generations.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 11:56 AM by Malcolm.)
05-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
(05-01-2016, 12:07 AM)Splashdown Wrote: Back to the Milntown Cottage issue. The name was used in 1963 when Tony Godfrey crashed there in the 250 race, and was the first person picked up by helicopter.
I have always used  "Milntown" as the actual cottage, the white one on the left hand side on the right hander. The next right after the "Glen Audlyn" jump, has always been known (in my circles) as the "right hander after Glen Audlyn".
The left hander before Milntown has of late been known as "Sky Hill", as Alfie Noakes correctly states, but I don't know for how long this name has been used.
I'll have to do a bit of work to see when "Milntown Cottage was first used, but I have never read of it in any pre WW2 reports.
We only called it Sky Hill back in the late 80's early 90's as a visible reference point because of the pony trekking sign on the right and being local I know that is where the hill is on the right - I don't recall hearing it mentioned too frequently, if I was asked to describe "Milntown" it would be the white cottage part of the circuit directly after the Sky Hill left. My Dad was born/lived in Ramsey and he calls the right after the jump Milntown Corner not as a racing name but as a local name when he was younger, another little bit of info is the playing fields in his day that were on the left on the approach to Schoolhouse were known locally as The Ponderosa, Dad used to bunk off school to watch the bikes and hide in the hedges at Ponderosa or up at Tower Bends haha. I'll have to ask him if he has any other local info.
05-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Find Reply
SILJA Offline

Threads: 38
Some posts at the "TT course knowledge" at http://siljasttknowledge.blogspot.se/ are now updated. These are: The Bottom Of Sky Hill, Milntown Cottage and Gardener's Lane Junction. Thank you all for the knowledge that was new for me!
Don't be that optimistic! The light in the tunnel can be a train. Sad
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 04:27 PM by SILJA.)
05-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Website Find Reply