Team Mugen to compete at TT 2015
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
RE: Team Mugen to compete at TT 2015
(20-02-2015, 01:10 PM)Mugen Wrote:
(19-02-2015, 12:10 AM)spannerman Wrote: Mugen I would like to ask a technical question with no digs only a safety issue, some years ago before practice week close to the race office car park I wheeled out of the van an ex WSB Kawasaki to get items from the front of he van, I think it was Chief Scrutineer Harvey Garton who noticed the bike and came over to explain that the Carbon wheels and swing arm were banned and could not be used at the TT, I was quick to point out that I was aware of the rules and the wheels were on just to move the bike and swing arm was going to be changed as we had just taken charge of the bike and that I was fully aware of the dangers of using a carbon fibre or kevlar composite swing arm on the stressful mountain circuit and the use of composite construction is forbidden, in the rules for bikes it says,    Rear Fork (Swing-arm)   The rear fork may be altered or replaced from those fitted to the homologated motorcycle. The use of carbon fibre or Kevlar materials is not allowed,  The TT zero rules are poor with regards to safety other than all the rules regarding the electrics,  is the class a free for all regarding issues such as composite parts like frame and swing arm?   The 2015 TT rules say  The Clerk of the Course may on the advice of the Chief Technical Officer, disqualify any vehicle, or equipment, the construction or condition of which is deemed to be unsafe or inappropriate.   Should an incident happen as a result of composite failure who's going to take blame?, as I started this post I am not having a dig but just questioning what I think is a safety issue

It is true that because TT Zero is a prototype class there are different regulations in place. Apart from the usual scrutineering that every bike goes through each time it goes on circuit, the technical crew visit the TT Zero bikes in their garages and inspect them for overall safety and quality of build and I believe they assess each one on their respective merits. We have run full carbon frame and swing-arm since our first visit in 2012.
Composite construction these days, with the widespread use of FEA and materials development, should mean that a properly designed and executed composite component will be no less a safely engineered solution than any other material.

In the other classes carbon composite component construction is banned on the grounds of safety for both rider and spectators, so why should Zero class be different?
(This post was last modified: 20-02-2015, 11:58 PM by spannerman.)
20-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

Threads: 4
(20-02-2015, 11:57 PM)spannerman Wrote:
(20-02-2015, 01:10 PM)Mugen Wrote:
(19-02-2015, 12:10 AM)spannerman Wrote: [font=Arial]
[b]In the other classes carbon composite component construction is banned on the grounds of safety for both rider and spectators, so why should Zero class be different?

[/b]

I think that is probably a question that would need to be answered by someone with a degree in composite engineering and FEA, and those in control of the technical regulations.
22-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
DaveOldham Offline

Threads: 0
Have read this thread with interest, just wanted to make a quick point:

I am as old school as the next person but let's face it, those against this concept and the investment from Mugen must be a pretty tough crowd. With all the practice and racing that goes on at the TT, is is too much to ask to fit in a one lap race at some point in the week? If it really is that boring for you, just have a read of the programme or dive into your sandwiches.

Whether electric power is the future or not, what are we all going to do when fossil fuels cease to exist or are simply too limited to allow racing? Because by the sound of it we are not willing to let anyone else race/test on the mountain course in the meantime, so presumably at that point the TT just stops...
23-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
Well said
23-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, where are the entries coming from to make this class sustainable?  No matter what format of championship people have tried to create there have only ever been a handful (literally) of entries and it's been that way since 2009.

No-one is trying to diminish what the Mugen guys have achieved but if you pooled every electric race bike on the planet and stuck them in one race, you'd have about one third of a decent grid at Mallory Park.
23-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Website Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
Oh the irony Sticky. Using Mallory in a comment aimed at supporting the 'noisy' ICE Smile

Well said Dave Oldham.
23-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
JM130TT Offline
Just Getting Started

Hello, I've had an amazing 3 year journey with some of the greatest and most genuine engineers on the planet, I'm so privalaged to ride the Mugen, it's a work of art, pity people have a go at the class etc. best thing to do if it's not your thing just go to the pub drink beer!
23-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
Good to see JM130 has made it over to this forum. Surely we can all appreciate the work Mugen is doing.
24-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Find Reply
Deek Offline

People will now Nev. Wait
24-02-2015, 08:31 AM
Find Reply
jimmy182 Offline

I like the electric bikes. Something diffrent along with the subaru lap. Breaks the fortnight up a bit. Plus I'd rather see 2 weeks of electric one lap races than 1 3 lap supertwin race. Bores the pants off me they do.
24-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Some quality opinions on here!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I like to see both the electric bikes and the twins, they give something different to watch and presumably a slightly different skill for the riders. Jimmy's comment has made me think though - can't a number of the same arguments about Mugen/TT Zero and competitive fields also be levelled at Kawasaki/Supertwins?

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
24-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

No, I dont think so. You could argue that a feild full of Kawasaki Supertwins is no different that a one make series, and they have always put on close, exciting racing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
24-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I do tend to agree with you, just playing devil's advocate. I do think there is a mild similarity though.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
24-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
HowIcon_question there`s a big entry along with some other makes, 3 laps of close racing that a lot more people can afford while there only 2 bikes really in a 1 lap electric race that cost a fortune.
Don`t get me wrong the speeds they are going now shows what is possible but for me until there is a bigger entry capable of at least 2 laps I can`t see where this is going. Basically it`s a very fast demo lap by two of the best TT riders.
24-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Find Reply
Dogsbody Online

Threads: 10
This from a report on Alonsos crash
 "After the accident it took some time for the Spaniard to be extricated from the car, and McLaren team members were on hand to assist when he was. Additionally all of the marshals involved were wearing their 'marigolds' - special gloves to insulate them from potential electric shocks. Again conspiracy theorists point to this as evidence of a hybrid system failure, but in fact this is just standard practice in crashes involving racing cars using hybrid systems."
 Do marshals get issued with "marigolds" at the TT or is there no problem with a bike ?

Dogsbody
25-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
Yes we got issued gloves and bottles of water in case of acid spillage. However I am still waiting for an incident because if the yellow flags are out they are supposed to sound their horn in acknowledgement.
25-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

(25-02-2015, 06:24 PM)Nev14 Wrote: However I am still waiting for an incident because if the yellow flags are out they are supposed to sound their horn in acknowledgement.

Yes, the rider is supposed to repeatedly sound his horn through a yellow flag zone - I wanted to fit our bike with a set of ice cream chimes but the rest of the team didn't seem too impressed with that suggestion.
25-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
Blademan Offline

Ha ha..... brilliant!!
25-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(25-02-2015, 07:23 PM)Mugen Wrote:
(25-02-2015, 06:24 PM)Nev14 Wrote: However I am still waiting for an incident because if the yellow flags are out they are supposed to sound their horn in acknowledgement.

Yes, the rider is supposed to repeatedly sound his horn through a yellow flag zone - I wanted to fit our bike with a set of ice cream chimes but the rest of the team didn't seem too impressed with that suggestion.

You mean this little horn?Icon_lol [Image: P6033859_zps3223217e.jpg]

25-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Find Reply