UK approves primary legislation for closed-road motorsport
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
UK approves primary legislation for closed-road motorsport
[Image: ACUbiglogo.jpg]

The British government has approved the primary legislation that will make it easier for closed-road motorsport to take place in England, Wales and Scotland.

While a final piece of legislation is required before it is put into effect, it is a huge step forward in the MSA/ACU bid to increase the number of events that take place on public roads in Britain.

The Deregulation Bill, in which the framework for running closed-road motorsport features, achieved the Royal Assent on Thursday 26th March.

However, the secondary legislation required is expected to have to wait until after the General Election in May.

The ACU have been campaigning with the MSA for some time now to achieve change which will enable the Road Traffic Act to be suspended or amended without an Act of Parliament.

ACU Chairman Brian Higgins commented, “I know a lot of hard work has gone in behind the scenes from both the MSA and the ACU in order to achieve where we are at this stage.   This is great news for motorcycle sport and will widen opportunities for our Organising Clubs and at the same time provide an economic benefit to any local area that might wish to host motorcycle events given the additional footfall motorsport events will bring”.

The revisions to the Road Traffic Act of 1988 will outline the  following procedure when  applying to promote a motorsport event on a public highway:

- A person who wishes to promote a race or trial of speed between motor vehicles on a highway in England and Wales may apply for a permit to a motor sport governing body authorised by regulations made by the appropriate national authority to issue permits in respect of a race or trial of speed of that kind. (in the case of motorsport events being held on closed public roads, the only two Organisations able to issue permits will be the MSA and the ACU).

- The MSA/ACU must consult the highway, local and police authorities. If the event will take place in Greater London, it must consult the Greater London Authority. It must also consult each person who has given written notice within the previous 12 months that they wish to be consulted, and any other persons or bodies the MSA/ACU deems relevant.

- The MSA/ACU must be satisfied that the promoter will take care of the organisational and financial requirements of the event, including safety procedures and insurance.

- A permit must outline the route, drivers, vehicles and insurance.

- Once granted a permit, the applicant must approach the relevant highway authority, no less than six months before the planned event, supplying information on the traffic requirements, a risk assessment and appropriate fees.

- The highway authority will then assess the impact on the local community and benefits the event could bring, and approve the order if it believes the event is commercially viable and has taken the community's views into account.

31-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: UK approves primary legislation for closed-road motorsport
Still a long way to go I feel , with a change of government possible , then has to be debated in the house , then to get past the Lords , then anyone trying to run an event they will still have to get it past the local councils , not to mention the , Not in My back yard brigade , just look at all the problems they have with long running race circuits Croft Elvington Mallory Oulton (no noise before 1200 noon on a Sunday )
I could see sprints and some very restricted events happening but that happens all ready , but full blown race meetings ( TT style ) I just don't know , nice idea but ??

31-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
It will be one off(at best) events for emission based, electric flower petal farting foo-foo valve vehicles only which are "good" for and the future for our environment .. No sir, that lithium mine isn't dirty it's powered by a perpetual motion engine .. a diesel powered perpetual motion engine. I'm prepared and more than happy to be proved wrong ......... until then.
31-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
Seem to remember this conversation on the "other side". I think it's just for the elecky cars and possibly a few sprints. With due respect can't see any bike club wanting to or able to run a closed roads event.
01-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
(01-04-2015, 09:11 PM)Owl Man Wrote: Seem to remember this conversation on the "other side". I think it's just for the elecky cars and possibly a few sprints. With due respect can't see any bike club wanting to or able to run a closed roads event.

Looking at the ACU press release there will be some serious hoops to jump through before any promoter can actually go ahead with an event, and those hoops are likely to be very large, and very expensive.

It would be great if someone can pull it off though.
01-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
They have had sprints for years , and there has been other closed roads events over the years , so not just sure what the difference is , the closing of roads goes on for all sorts of things Tour de France , and many more ,
01-04-2015, 10:58 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
(01-04-2015, 10:58 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: They have had sprints for years , and there has been other closed roads events over the years , so not just sure what the difference is , the closing of roads goes on for all sorts of things Tour de France , and many more ,

The difference is Eddy that, at the moment, its not possible to close roads for a motorsport event without a private act of parliament (for example the birmingham GPs of the 80s). The other speed events like brighton, Ollies and New Brighton are actually private roads - the event that triggered this debate - Saltburn Sprint/Hillclimb only took place because the local Council legal dept didn't know the law and it was stopped when somebody pointed it out.

I'll be surprised if anyone has the money or determination to get a road race on, but the odd sprint type event out of town on little used roads might happen particularly in deprived areas, its already allowed in scotland and, other than some rally stages, nobodies jumped on the bandwagon - there was talk of the borders race near Lanark but it seems to have gone quiet recently.
my suggestiion is Helmsley- Stokesley- Guisborough-whitby- helmsley - might need a few Marshalls Eddy - first week in JUne- get your bib on, I'll get me coat!
07-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
Just to back up my earlier comment about any club being able to or wanting to run a Road Race. Have you seen New Brighton Prom recently?  It would need a complete resurface and I can't see that happening any time soon. They still hold car rally stages there under the local closed roads covenant that is in place for the promanade.
07-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Find Reply