What do you do every year?
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
What do you do every year?
Just wondering what everyone does every year when they visit the Island, (i.e. when there is no racing or practice happening)?

Apart from the obvious and riding the course, where do you always go, or what do you always do? 

I always seem to ride down to the Calf, and then over to Port Erin.
Usually watch a bit of the Ramsey Sprint.
And try to have a walk around the back of the pits and speak to privateers, (that's always interesting).
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
23-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
RE: What do you do every year?
Try Blue Point Beach
23-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
If the weathers nice, I used to take a ride to Port St Mary, fish & chips on the beach and a paddle in the sea. 

I'm sure one year, 2012? fairly recently we went somewhere and took in the steam traction engines etc. Mind you the weather in 2012 was rubbish.

Nearly always go over to Ramsey sprint, if the racing's not postponed until Tuesday, then that always comes first of course.

I used to do the pub crawl, hitching around the circuit, but have'nt done that for a couple of years now, but always a good laugh Smile

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
23-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
We always get there early doors Friday. After we've got our selves together we head to the beer tent at the back of the grandstand. Always chips cheese & curry with a few pints. The other thing that's a definite is the awesome power boats in onchan, can't beat chugging round that little lake.
24-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
(23-04-2015, 03:04 PM)spannerman Wrote: Try Blue Point Beach

Nice up by yonder Spanner's ! we go and spend a few nights every year just along the beach from there  at Rue Point , they allow up to 15 vans at a time on there , but the most we have seen up there was about eight , peaceful no facilities but no problem in the Bugilow love it 

[Image: d549139a-9dcb-48b7-b763-e721cc1c4eef.jpg]
24-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
For the pub crawl have a word with Panman I think it was him that last year organised a bus ride around the course doing a pub crawl raising funds for the TTMA , and if memory serves me well , they had a good time and were talking of doing it again this year ,

hope I have got that right or I could be in trouble

24-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
panman Offline

Threads: 10
(24-04-2015, 09:30 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: For the pub crawl have a word with Panman I think it was him that last year organised a bus ride around the course doing a pub crawl raising funds for the TTMA  , and if memory serves me well , they had a good time and were talking of doing it again this year ,

hope I have got that right or I could be in trouble

You've got it right Eddy. The Union Spills Crew (with the help of a few others and Barclays bank) raised £3,000 for the TTRA (http://www.ttra.co.uk/) last year.

We have arranged another pub crawl for this year, again in aid of the TTRA for Tuesday of race week (racing permitting). All places on the bus are now taken but if you see us in one of the pubs around the course (you can't miss us we'll be in orange T-Shirts rattling buckets) please give generously - the TTRA are a fabulous charity that help injured riders and their families so deserve our support.

I'll be the big bald one so feel free to come up and introduce yourself (but if you're in one of the pubs after the Crosby please don't be offended if I not remember meeting you afterwards!)

Thanks for reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
25-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
In no particular order - spend time with my Dad, eat lots ice cream kippers crab sarnies, eat at The Marine, catch up with old mates, get up early to get a good spec at Gorse Lea probably for Senior, I used to live up by Onchan Park and have very happy youthful memories of "obtaining" payment funds for the chugging boats from the little amusement arcade that was up there - i'm going to make a point of having a go this year on the boats, spend time in the paddock enjoying the general buzz of road racing - my Dad helps out Dennis Trollope with his shop / stand and it's a good place to take in all the behind the scenes action with the riders and crew, stay up/out very late somewhere on a night when it doesn't really get dark and see the sun coming up and out of the sea on the horizon in the morning and wish we still had early morning practice - I can still make the noises hahaha, try not to get too busy or organised - just take in all what the IoM and TT has to offer and have a good safe time .. Can't wait.
25-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(23-04-2015, 12:22 PM)Smidsy Wrote: Just wondering what everyone does every year when they visit the Island, (i.e. when there is no racing or practice happening)?

Apart from the obvious and riding the course, where do you always go, or what do you always do? 

I always seem to ride down to the Calf, and then over to Port Erin.
Usually watch a bit of the Ramsey Sprint.
And try to have a walk around the back of the pits and speak to privateers, (that's always interesting).

good call there about the privateers  
they are always really hyped up or down depending on there problems give them time of day you get some very interesting stories from them
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
26-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Go down to scrutineering when the boys are queuing up and wheeling their machines through, that's where you'll see what racing at the TT is all about - the wide eyed excitement, nerves, trepidation, smiles, chit chat, friendship, comrades and the return on the unique efforts/commitment involved getting a rider and machine to that point or go and watch on the wall on the other side of Glencrutchery Rd as they are lining up for practice, if you can ponce a start line pass just the once then that's even better.
26-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Find Reply
Smidsy Offline
Orange Army - Windy Corner

Threads: 1
Sound like we all have our own routines, and none sound that similar.

I wasnt specifically looking for any ideas/suggestions just wondered what we all did with regularity, but I've got to say scruntineering watch sounds interesting.

I’ll will keep an eye out for you also Panman on your pubcrawl, the big bald one as you described yourself, hopefully I’ll get the right one, most of us seem to be bigger and balder now.
"I stole these views from the cools kids, so I could fit in."
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, you get old because you stop riding
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2015, 03:46 PM by Smidsy.)
28-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Take time to ride north to the Point of Ayre lighthouse.........Just stand there and look south and see the island from this position....Quite memorable and worth a few photos. Very restful after all the noise and bustle in the south.

Go and say hello to Steve Hislops statue up at Onchan and look over Douglas Bay

Ride out to Dalby and come back to Douglas over the hills.

Go up Snaefell

Go and say hello to the little people at the Fairy Bridge.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
06-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Website Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
First job for me is go for a walk down on Port Erin prom and get a few lungfulls of that sea air and wish i lived there, still dreaming at 63yrs old
08-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Find Reply
runningbear Offline

Threads: 0
50 trips and counting ,always go sulby for food then walk down old rail line to quarry bends .also to get off beaten track on non race days like the tranquility at fleshwick bay including the strange magic garden of creations on the way,.
22-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Find Reply
runningbear Offline

Threads: 0
almost forgot .the annual visit to jurby junk to see what lovely gifts i can get ,only spend a quid to get maximum value.saw great hen night plastic stetsons in there a few years back ,incorrect spelling on them of course ,my favourite was :im an old salapper, great fun for a quick visit .
22-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Find Reply