DED 'wasting money' on consultants claims MHK
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
DED 'wasting money' on consultants claims MHK
[Image: johnhoughtonmhk.jpg]

Government's decision to pay consultants thousands of pounds trying to help promote the TT to a global audience has prompted criticism.

Thirteen organisations responded to an invitation to develop a TT World Series - to pit current stars against other similar road racing courses across the planet.

But North Douglas MHK John Houghton has accused the Department of Economic Development of wasting money - saying very little has been gained.

He wants to know what exactly the money was spent on:

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
29-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: DED 'wasting money' on consultants claims MHK
I was just about to post this link on the World series thread.
Well thats one more person who has joined the 'Vocal Minority'
I wonder if he will be vilified by the same way that the DED did with the rest of us for daring to be negative about spending huge amounts of money with consultants??
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
29-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

HOUSE OF KEYS, TUESDAY, 28th APRIL 2015

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
1.4. TT World Series – Meetings with potential partners

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Houghton) to ask the Minister for Economic Development:

Whether the Sports Consultancy has met appropriate heads of Government or local authorities in countries which may have been identified as a participating partner in the TT World Series; and if not why not?

The Speaker: Question 4. Hon. Member for Douglas North, Mr Houghton.

Mr Houghton: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I beg leave to ask the Minister for Economic Development whether the Sports Consultancy has met appropriate heads of government or local authorities in countries which may have been identified as a participating partner in the TT World Series; and, if not, why not?

The Speaker: Hon. Member, Mr Skelly.

The Minister for Economic Development (Mr Skelly): Gura mie eu, Loayreyder.

As part of the original feasibility study, the Sports Consultancy engaged with governments, city authorities, private organisations and venues across the globe to test interest in the TT series concept. This yielded positive responses from the Middle East, the Far East, Europe, Africa, Australasia and South America. However, no specific locations have been agreed yet.

The promoter will be responsible for developing the series, including choosing the locations, subject to some restrictions set by the Department and Government in advance in order to protect the interest of both the TT and the Isle of Man. It is important that the promoter develops the TT Series, including the location of individual events, as it is the promoter that will be responsible for delivering the series.

As no locations have yet been chosen, it cannot be part of the Sports Consultancy’s remit to have discussions with potential hosts. It is important to remember that at this stage we are exploring whether we believe the proposed TT Series is the right way forward for what is such an important part of community, our economy and international awareness.

Until we are satisfied that the TT Series is the choice, it is inappropriate for us to enter into commitments with other locations. Having said that, the Sports Consultancy has been having ongoing briefings and updates with those national federations, motorsport promoters and city authorities which have demonstrated an ongoing enthusiasm of hosting a TT Series event.

The Speaker: Mr Houghton.

The Minister will understand that there is some £¼ million being spent on this so far and they have not been able, as he states, to discuss with potential hosts… the Sports Consultancy.

Can he really tell me exactly, precisely what they have done for £¼ million, other than, it appears, send them out… enter into a bit of correspondence with each of those potential hosts?

The Speaker: Minister to reply.

It is a considerable amount of money, I fully accept that, and that has been spent over a number of years – first of all, with regard to the feasibility study and, as the Hon. Member will know and hopefully all Members will appreciate, we are at a stage at the moment of looking at the pre-qualification questionnaire with potential promoters, and that has yielded 12 substantial and credible interests and we are now moving towards the shortlisting of that.

Host cities, of which we actually had one contacting us only yesterday, asking for an update… is very keen for ongoing active interest with that… but we do not wish to choose those ahead of choosing a promoter.

It is well worth recognising that it will be Tynwald that will actually decide if we do go forward with the TT World Series. 

Going back to the original feasibility study, all the indicators there said there is significant opportunity here to expand this very strong and positive economic brand for the Isle of Man, and that is what we are trying to pursue.

The Speaker: Hon. Member, Mrs Beecroft.

Mrs Beecroft: Thank you, Mr Speaker. I have two supplementaries, if I may.

The first one is referring to the original feasibility study which the Minister referred to. Could he clarify who that belongs to; does it belong to the Department or to Sports Consultancy; if it is available publicly and, if it is not, will it be?

The second one – is he saying that they have spent £250,000 with Sports Consultancy to date over many years? Could he clarify just how many years it is up to now?

The Minister: Gura mie eu, Loayreyder.

Yes, with regard to the feasibility study, I will investigate if we can publish that and I will certainly make it available to Members. It does make, in my mind, actually some quite compelling reasons why we are pursuing it, but I will see if I can actually share that.

Over the actual times, that has been over a number of years and it goes before my time even in DED when this was first started. So what I can say is it has been ongoing work and it has been engaging with a whole series of stakeholders. Destination host locations are only one of many stakeholders that are involved with us.

What we need to do is to ensure that if we are to progress with this – and I say it is ‘if’ because Tynwald will decide that – it is going to have the Isle of Man’s reputation protected, we do not dilute the existing event because we understand how valuable that is to our local economy right here and the reputation of the Isle of Man is secured in the jurisdictions that would take that on. That would be part of the governance that we would have in place should we go forward with this Series.

The Speaker: Mr Houghton.

Notwithstanding the Minister’s continued assurances that he is giving this Hon. House that the World Series is a good idea etc… It may well be a good idea, but can the Minister actually put further information into this domain?

When he stated that one of the host cities only contacted his Department yesterday, (A Member: Further update.) why on earth was that? How come the Sports Consultancy has not kept them informed on an extremely regular basis ?

Also, Mr Speaker, if the Minister can provide this Hon. House with some tangible evidence toshow what has actually been done for all of this cost. There does not appear to be anything… the whole scheme does not appear to be any further than its embryonic stage, bearing in mind…

The final supplementary that I have for the Minister is: knowing previously that the Sports Consultancy had very little understanding of the fact that the FIM rules were being disregarded at that early stage, what has been done to make sure that that now has been put on a firm  footing?

The Minister: Gura mie eu.

I think I counted four supplementaries there.

The issue with regard to a jurisdiction contacting us most recently, just as yesterday, is because that jurisdiction wants an exclusive in that particular area of the world. We cannot give that assurance, clearly, because what we want to do is to give that opportunity to the promoter to actually have – hopefully, potentially – a bidding process so that we do get maximum economic benefit.

What I want to point out is that the interest is still very active at this particular time, and that is not just one location; there are numerous locations.

I would point out, if Members remember back, I did actually give a briefing to Members to explain the process of where we are, the timescales where we are, and we are looking at this coming forward to Tynwald by the end of this year. The briefing also highlighted the scales with regard to test events, the observation period and when we would move forward with this.

FIM is one of the issues that we are working with and we are in discussions with them as to whether the FIM will actually sanction this. If they do not, I can actually advise this House that we can still proceed with the series. However, we do want to have support and engagement with all appropriate stakeholders and FIM is one of those stakeholders.

The Speaker: Mr Quirk.

Mr Quirk: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I am sure the Minister will agree with me that the biggest stakeholder is actually Tynwald and the biggest risk will probably be Tynwald. Can I ask the Minister then when is he likely to bring any firm proposals to Tynwald Members so we can make that decision and have some clarity?

The Speaker: Minister.

Yes, by the end of this year – October, November – would be the estimated time. At this moment in time we are moving towards the shortlisting after the prequalification questionnaire, so what we need to do is to ensure that we do have potential credible partners, in terms of the promoter, before we come forward with any recommendation.

So there is ongoing work. I accept what the Hon. Members are talking about with regard to detail, but please rest assured there will be no decision made… and I do agree with Mr Quirk that Tynwald will be the ultimate stakeholder and will make the ultimate decision.

The Speaker: Final supplementary, Mrs Beecroft.

Mrs Beecroft: Thank you, Mr Speaker.

I thank the Minister for giving us assurance that he will investigate whether we can see and whether the public can see the original feasibility study, but he did not clarify actually who has ownership of that. Is it the Department or is it Sports Consultancy? Does he have to ask Sports Consultancy whether they will allow it; or is it within the gift of the Department?

The Speaker: Minister.

As far as I am aware, the Department does own that and therefore, if we can, we will actually publish that and certainly share it with Members first and foremost.
29-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
You could not make that up, you really could not.
Breathtaking.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
29-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
One sentence sums it up for me , ( we will make it up as we go along if we have to )

FIM is one of the issues that we are working with and we are in discussions with them as to whether the FIM will actually sanction this. If they do not, I can actually advise this House that we can still proceed with the series. However, we do want to have support and engagement with all appropriate stakeholders and FIM is one of those stakeholders.

29-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: skellymhk.jpg]

TT world series must be explored - Skelly

The economic development minister says spending money on consultants to promote the TT to a global audience is essential - to ensure the scope for expansion is fully tested.

North Douglas MHK John Houghton has accused DED of wasting money on external consultants, as it continues to investigate the concept of developing a TT world series.

But Laurence Skelly says it's essential the market for TT-branded events outside the Isle of Man is explored professionally:

Listen To Related Audio Clip

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
29-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Website Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Wink  RE: DED 'wasting money' on consultants claims MHK
Thank you Eddie,
After reading that, it was a paragraph, that i had copied ready to go,
You beat me to it, Lol

I hope that somebody has got the lastest edition of Classic Racer to read the minutes of when the S100 club approached the Government for help, to get it going 50 Years back,
It reads so much the same as above !! lol

Will try and work out how to scan it, and post it later,,
If not, i will transcribe it !
Need to get a job in the Hansard Department,,, lol
29-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
KEEP THE TT UNIQUE !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Website Find Reply

How I wish they would Ian but sadly they seem hell bent on selling it off and sailing very close to killing it off in my opinion , I am just grateful that I have had the years that I have had , before the present bunch got hold of it , I was talking to a ex Islander the other day and he said , the Island has one of the Oldest democratic governments in the world it such a shame that it has become one of the most corrupt and wasteful governments in the world , a sad way for some one from the Island that was so proud of his heritage to think of what is running the Island these days ,
Having said that lets not go in to our lot , for I think far worse of ours ,

05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

Threads: 1
Keep on thinking it was this post on the old forum that could have played a part to closing it down
11-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Find Reply

You could well be right Harvey ! but it is one of their own that is saying what many of us were saying , so how are they going to shut him up close the house of keys question time ?? or just ban him ???
11-05-2015, 09:27 PM
Find Reply