Guy Martin: ‘It’s the last time I’m doing the TT’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin: ‘It’s the last time I’m doing the TT’
[Image: guysignsbooks.jpg]

TT ace Guy Martin has confirmed that this year’s event will be his last as a competitor.

The Tyco BMW rider made the revelation in the unlikely surroundings of a question and answer session in aid of Bottesford Town Football Club last week.

According to a Scunthorpe Telegraph report Martin, when asked about whether he was going to win the TT, said:

‘I’ll go there whatever happens. Whatever I do I’ll give it 100 per cent. 

‘It’s the last time I’m doing it. Let’s be honest, it would be mint to win. It would be great, I love motorbikes.

‘But it is only motorbikes. Tomorrow is another day. I’ve this sort of mindset - it is what it is.’

Rumours have persisted since February that this would be Guy’s last TT after he hinted in interview with the Times that it would be. 

However, at the launch of the Tyco team later that month Martin said he would put off a decision until after this year’s event.

Here is the Link to the Scunthorpe Telegraph article - HERE

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2015, 10:52 AM by Malcolm.)
30-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Website Find Reply
Amsterdam Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Guy Martin: ‘It’s the last time I’m doing the TT’
Just heard it being read out on Energy FM news. Pity, though it is for him to decide. They start their item saying " c o u l d be his last year" Pity, for I won't be visiting this year...
30-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
LukeHondaBrightside Offline

To be honest, I'd like to see Guy retire. He has given plenty to the sport over the last 14 or so years and has got away with a few massive crashes too, so I'd be relieved - and happy - if he can win a TT this year and walk away from it in one piece.
'Course I don't know what that b@stard shark's gonna do with it, might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time.
30-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Thumbs up to that one mate, totally agree.
01-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
it would be great for him to get a win and feel he can call it a day.

But the TT would be losing a real characters if he did, i'd be gutted.
01-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Find Reply
Evilkinevil-15 Offline

Threads: 4
think he's cotton'd on to anything he says is good PR.

Take it with a pinch of salt
01-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Guy Martin's brought a lot to public road racing throughout his career and I can think of no finer way to leave the sport than to retire by choice and in one piece. I really hope he wins at least one TT this year but if he doesn't it won't diminish his contribution to the sport at all. Good luck Guy and roll on the TT.
01-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Find Reply
panman Offline

Threads: 10
Isn't this 'old news'? Back in February he claimed that this would be the last year he would be competing in the TT: 
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-m...-1-7098328
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Route 66 Blog: www.thehandys.co.uk/blog 
01-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Website Find Reply
imort Offline

Threads: 3
Good Luck to him whatever he does. Hope he carries on doing The Southern
02-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
To focus on Top Gear
05-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
If he does stop this year, it will be interesting to see what effect ( if any) his non appearance will have have on attendance/ TV veiwing figures in 2016.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
05-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(05-05-2015, 01:16 PM)c iom tt Wrote: If he does stop this year, it will be interesting to see what effect ( if any) his non appearance will have have on attendance/ TV veiwing figures in 2016.

Not being able to make it this year the attendance will increase by 2 due to us returning in 2016. Nothing to do with Guy racing or not though.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
05-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
This might shock a few...the TT is bigger than Guy Martin.
05-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
(05-05-2015, 02:25 PM)HammerHead Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 01:16 PM)c iom tt Wrote: If he does stop this year, it will be interesting to see what effect ( if any) his non appearance will have have on attendance/ TV veiwing figures in 2016.

Not being able to make it this year the attendance will increase by 2 due to us returning in 2016. Nothing to do with Guy racing or not though.

Likewise with me as we can't come this year but will be there next year. Would love to see Guy then but if he's not there, so be it.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

14-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

(30-04-2015, 10:28 PM)LukeHondaBrightside Wrote: To be honest, I'd like to see Guy retire. He has given plenty to the sport over the last 14 or so years and has got away with a few massive crashes too, so I'd be relieved - and happy - if he can win a TT this year and walk away from it in one piece.

Echo that
20-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
With Guy's outburst last weekend about his thoughts on the NW200 circuit I would e surprised if Mervyn Whyte would ever go out of his way to have him back there so it may be the last time he has done the NW200 as well, then there was his own personal Brian! nuff said,  one thing is for sure Guy will be on the podium this year, lets hope he stands on the top step, What a star he has been, one of the TTs greatest character's, the TT will be a little poorer without him.                                                     
20-05-2015, 11:18 PM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

I liked this

Steve Plater..." I don't know about Guy, but I NEVER got bored when I was riding round at the front."

Classy response whilst those other 'journos' were all busy blowing up a molehill.

Hard not to like Guy and he has been very unlucky not to get one. Let's hope he wins one this year and heads off happily into something else if that's what he wants.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
21-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Website Find Reply
mdvineng Offline

Threads: 0
When Guy answered the journos question with the chicanes rant, if you watched the footage of it, he had big grin on his face at the time of answering. This whole thing was then blown up up out of all proportion by the very same journos etc. I have seen too many posts on various forums related to racing, all decrying the introduction of bus stop type chicanes. Yes they were introduced for safety reasons but some have introduced their own set of accidents with a higher frequency than before but with a lower health risk. A better design of chicane etc should of been implemented to keep safety up and interest but as usual money was not available to do this sadly, the easy option was taken. At the end of the NW200 Guy also said to the same journo when asked about "is this the last time"? he replied "never say never"
21-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

I've not once ever heard a racer say they like chicanes.

Oulton park, Mallory (with at times 3 chicanes!) have all had special parts of their track ruined.
Saying that I'm sure there have been major crashes have been avoided in having them, it's hard to find a happy medium between safety and having a fast fun track.
21-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Find Reply