Unfair Steam Packet costs
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Unfair Steam Packet costs
Paul Owens brother said this today about the SPCo,    

Isle of Man , steam Racket boat company. is a disgrace . If I sail today as a foot passenger it's only £37 return. For the TT fortnite, it's a £190 , that's nearly £400 for 2 of us to come there.  How can they justify that. Ggggggrrrrrr. end.               Its no wonder more are flying than using the boat.
02-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
RE: Unfair Steam Packet costs
Yep, I've just booked my annual day trip for the S100,
£33.00 return,
maybe I should keep quiet, or the SP will increase the fares in early July too!
02-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Website Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
(02-05-2015, 12:13 AM)spannerman Wrote: Paul Owens brother said this today about the SPCo,    

Isle of Man , steam Racket boat company. is a disgrace . If I sail today as a foot passenger it's only £37 return. For the TT fortnite, it's a £190 , that's nearly £400 for 2 of us to come there.  How can they justify that. Ggggggrrrrrr. end.               Its no wonder more are flying than using the boat.

I thought the Standard fare was £48 making a return at peak (TT) time £96 per person or £192 for 2

Also the £37 mentioned would be for a weekday day return which would cost £52 during the TT
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015, 11:44 AM by Nasher.)
02-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
(02-05-2015, 09:48 AM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: Yep, I've just booked my annual day trip for the S100,
£33.00 return,
maybe I should keep quiet, or the SP will increase the fares in early July too!

I'm surprised they haven't already captain. A few mates of mine stopped going to the TT and only go to the southern purely for cost reasons.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 06:59 PM by Malcolm.)
03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(02-05-2015, 12:13 AM)spannerman Wrote: Paul Owens brother said this today about the SPCo,    

It's simple economics - supply and demand. You pay more for a train ticket when demand is high eg rush hour. Try booking a package holiday - you'll pay more during school holidays than in term time.
05-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Please look at it from this angle......

I pay £300+ return for my car and me to get there......

When I get there I budget my food and booze and know of places on the course where I can watch practice and racing for free...

I used to think "GAWD" when I returned home and my card statement came through the letterbox..

Then I worked out what I had spent over 14 days to see the best sporting event in the world...

Frankly I think it is worth it..............and this is my 68th annual visit this year...

Just go and savour the time you are in a different world.................and book for next year as well.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
05-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Website Find Reply
STEVEVTR Offline

Threads: 5
I agree with Ian, yes its costly but well worth it. keeps me coming back every year ,
06-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
also when checking SP prices , check the different prices on different days , as Stroller says supply and demand , differs on different days of the week and times of day , same day Heysham to Douglas the 02.15 is cheaper than the afternoon 14.15 and Friday to Monday is more expensive than Tuesday to Thursday , if you can be flexible you can make savings , not big ones admittedly but every little helps ,

07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Simple economics I am afraid. If there was no TT with the 'inflated' prices those times bring, then the fares for the rest of the year would be higher anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
07-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

Threads: 3
I have just been to France
Ferry Pompey to Caen for wife, bike and I £285

Ferry to IOM this year for admittedly only the bike and I has come to £240, but with wife would be £340.
So it is dearer, BUT, on the Island I get the racing for free.

And get to have a pint with some of you lot.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
12-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Website Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(12-05-2015, 10:41 AM)BcakWeleher Wrote: I have just been to France
Ferry Pompey to Caen for wife, bike and I £285

Ferry to IOM this year for admittedly only the bike and I has come to £240, but with wife would be £340.
So it is dearer, BUT, on the Island I get the racing for free.

And get to have a pint with some of you lot.

There's also a damn sight more traffic and competition on the cross channel routes. The IOM/UK and IOM/Ireland routes don't have anywhere near the same volumes of passengers and freight (and it's freight where they make their money)
12-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

Threads: 3
Yes the Ferries sure had a lot of lorries on them both ways.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
12-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Website Find Reply
sculptor Offline

Threads: 4

"How can they justify that ?" ......The fact that virtually every ticket is sold within hours of release ! ....If Bernie Ecclestone ever gets his hands on the TT then you'll look back and realise what good value it is now. If you think that's far fetched don't forget that the IOM Government is trying to find someone to take over the running of the TT and Ross Braun spent 2 days there last year. The thin end of the wedge has started with #1
Insurance warning if people watch Isle of Man TT from your property 

Ramsey Commissioners are warning people to be aware of their responsibilities if they invite people into their garden to watch the TT.

To make an area on the TT course prohibited by law, the Department of Infrastructure must get the permission of the owner and occupier of the property.

The occupier of a Commissioners-owned property at 1 Albert Terrace in Ramsey has refused to agree to make their garden a prohibited area.

Ramsey commissioner Richard Radcliffe said:
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2015, 07:01 AM by sculptor.)
14-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Find Reply
Wednesday12 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
I spent over a grand on my trip to the TT (travel and weeks camping) Granted, I can no longer come and i'm trying to sell the package but still, I couldn't believe it was so expensive - especially when I've booked to go to Holland for a week in a caravan on a campsite which has like a theme park and indoor waterpark included and that was the similar price!
18-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Find Reply