Saturday Racing Comments
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Saturday Racing Comments
The comment related to " whether spectators should be banned from gardens at Station Road" is somewhat pertinent, as there have been stories and newspaper reports of such an action being possibly implemented on Albert Terrace (on the A3 road just beyond Parliament Square).
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2015, 03:01 PM by Malcolm.)
18-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
If I recall correctly, they can not ban people from watching from there own property, but they can make the area a prohibited zone.
That is there way of stopping there exposure in the event of an incident, but the general legal opinion is they would be in a very weak position if there was one similar to this accident and another one similar to one that happened at the bottom of Bray Hill.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Find Reply
IVOROSKI Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Does anybody think that the "kerb protector" contributed to the launch of Dean Harrisons bike accross the road (watch onboard footage carefully)
18-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Find Reply
excollier Offline
slow biker, road race fan

Threads: 11
It's certainly a possibility - I watched the footage but it's hard to tell what might have happened without them.
18-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Spectator Violet McAfee hopeful of making good recovery

[Image: vimcafee.jpg]

A woman who was hit by a motorbike while watching the North West 200 has said she is confident of making a good recovery.

Violet McAfee, 44, was in the garden of a friend's house when three bikes crashed during the opening race last week.

She was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital (RVH) in Belfast by helicopter with serious head and leg injuries.

Two riders were also taken to hospital. A third rider was unhurt.

Ms McAfee was watching warm-up laps when the crash happened.

"It was just one of those freak things," she told BBC Radio Ulster's Sunday News programme.

"I don't remember one thing about it.

"Even being shown the photographs of where the bike had landed and where another bike had landed out on the road, I don't remember one thing about it.

"I don't remember being picked up in the helicopter to come to the RVH or anything. There's nothing I remember which isn't a bad thing."

She was brought to hospital in a critical condition.

"I did not remember anything until the second day after the accident," Ms McAfee said.

'Remarkable'

"I didn't know what had actually happened to me at that point, how serious the leg was or that I had a hairline fracture on my head until my family told me.

"When I saw pictures of the scene I honestly couldn't believe it myself, I thought that can't have been me there because I just didn't remember a thing about it. It was awful to even feel that way. It was just such a freak thing to have happened."

Ms McAfee described her recovery as "remarkable".

"The power of prayer that I have had this week has been truly, truly unbelievable and the amount of friends and well wishers that I have had is unbelievable," she said.

"I do have to say I am extremely lucky and I have a brilliant terrific family behind me.

"You can think what could have happened or I can think, well this is what's going to happen now.

"I'm going to get my rehab done, I'm going to get up, I'm going to get walking and I'll be there next year again probably. I would say I probably will be with the rest of my family as well."

She described the North West 200 as a "terrific" event.

"I won't stop going near it," she said.

"I think it's a brilliant thing that happens in the north west.

"There will be people who don't have the fun side of that and don't like it in any shape or form, but as for myself, what happens happens and it won't change how I feel about it."
25-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
WOW!!! Violet McAfee your comments make me feel both very proud and very humble. Best wishes for a complete recovery.
11-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Find Reply