Bike theft risk.
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
Bike theft risk.
Probably been threaded before, but this my 8th TT and apart from the racing and craic, its probably one of the greatest free bike shows on earth. I see a lot of nice machines, some heavily protected, chained up etc, and some not so well protected. Suppose some of this is Insurance driven, but wondering what the theft risk and stats really are.
ps I know its an island....... :-)

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
21-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Bike theft risk.
I think things have changed a lot in the last few years. There seems to be a lot more thefts in the paddock area than there use to be.
I dont know if this is a change of the demographics of the visitors, or a local issue.
Although I carry a lock on my bike, I have never used it when over for the TT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
21-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Find Reply
Bill Peacock Offline

Threads: 1
I will be locking mine up this year as a lad stopping in our hotel had his 600 Bandit nicked from outside never found it.
21-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

Threads: 4
The more Pikeys you have the more stuff will go missing. Last year there was a gang of 'em there.
21-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Threads: 13
Sad times Sad
21-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Its is very sad if this sort of stuff goes on.There will always be theives due to the ammount of people but in the whole i have not experienced anything like it at the TT but who would want to steal an old 1250 Bandit...........

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
21-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

mmmm.......On at least two of my crossings from Liverpool the UK police were on hand checking bike reg and VIN, before boarding, maybe IOM police should start this from Douglas end as a bit of a deterrent?

Riggsy
21-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Find Reply
y2blade Offline

Azman....I agree, can't see them ever doing it though as they are stretched to capacity dealing with visitor traffic issues
21-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I think it has got worse over recent years with the amount of vans going over with bikes in the back one on the way over two on the way back who is to know so yes a bit of caution and common sense would be a good thing , same as things going missing out of tents never heard of 10-15 years ago but alas does happen now so never leave valuables in a tent take them with you , general precautions these days sad to say , as with any western culture as the drug taking goes up so does the crime rate and the Island is no different to any where else in that respect mores the pity ,

22-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Find Reply
Baldy Gaz Offline
Banned

Threads: 2
Get the thieving scum and tie them to the back of the ferry then drag them all the way back to Liverpool/Heysham /Ireland.
24-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Find Reply

I think it is a sad thing though Gaz that it used to be considered that , you would not get this sort of thing on the Island as we were all bikers and would never confused taking from one of our own we looked after each other brothers in a common pursuit of two wheeled enjoyment , but allas those days are long gone now only seen through rose tinted glasses , ph how I wish I could take off my rose tinted glasses and find I was right back there surounded by those fun loving , caring , full of life characters, that were the stars of my memories,

25-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
Eddie they are still there, unfortunately it is a very small minority that is amplifying the problem. People know who they are  so shop them even if it`s your mate because if he does that he`s no mate. Just my thoughts.
26-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
Unfortunately reading this,  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-i...n-32831671 the Island is getting just the same as most other places regarding crime !
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
26-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
I live here year round and have never used a chain or a lock. I guess it will depend on where you're staying and where you intend to leave your bike. Use normal common sense - don't leave it in secluded unlit areas and if possible, have it wedged behind something solid. I regularly leave mine at the Grandstand, Sulby Glen Hotel car park and Ramsey Quay and have never had any issues.
26-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

OK ...........will leave the Domiracer at home! hee hee!

Riggsy
26-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Find Reply

Thing is Tax Man the rest of the year is way different to TT MGP periods , and it is well known if you talk to the local plod that the crime rate is on the rise , just look at the recent break ins 68 un solved , in a matter of a few months , and these are just local house break in's , sorry the times they are a changin and not for the better and we wont say anything about who is coming over in vans looking for easy pickings , so lets just use sensible caution as you say , but lets not take it out of proportions

26-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
I think it was last year a push bike went missing from Danny Horne's van in the pits and a racers wheels were nicked, bad business they should be marched up on stage in the bushys tent and the crowd left to deal with them if found. I live in a rural area and as other folk on here have said, times are a changing and at quite an alarming rate.
27-05-2015, 01:18 AM
Find Reply
tiny thing Offline

Threads: 3
Parked my cbr600 in the middle of Douglas among rows of bikes came out of b&b and half my fairing had gone,if the low life's want it they will take it.

The UGP best road race in the world.
27-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Find Reply
BcakWeleher Offline
@markybiker

Threads: 3
(27-05-2015, 01:18 AM)Superbike Wrote: I think it was last year a push bike went missing from Danny Horne's van in the pits and a racers wheels were nicked, bad business they should be marched up on stage in the bushys tent and the crowd left to deal with them if found. I live in a rural area and as other folk on here have said, times are a changing and at quite an alarming rate.

The wheels were stolen from Karl Harris just before what turned out to be his final race. Now I am not saying that had anything to do with it but it is very upsetting when you get burgled and not what you want right before a big race eh?

Big man to nick them !! Hope he's proud of himself whoever he is.
  Beer2  Triumph Sprint ST.  The Empire Strikes Back!!
27-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Shame the thieves aren't chased and prosecuted in the same jumped up fortnightly manner that people doing 35mph in a 30 are
27-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Find Reply