Best place to watch near douglas
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
Best place to watch near douglas
i've managed to convince 4 mates to pop over on the thursday till saturday of race week and want to make it the best experience i can for them (none bikers)

plan for thursday is douglas and drinking Smile
friday is watch the racing, in the past we have watched from bray hill, signpost corner, etc
Can anyone name any 'spectacular' places to watch within walking distance from Douglas, want somewhere that will blow their minds.
Friday night is the closing party
Saturday..any suggestions? they dont leave till 7:30pm

public transport only options.
02-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Best place to watch near douglas
Little bit further than Signpost and you might think too far to walk but how about Hilberry? Nice and fast, riders in view for a while and only a wall between you and them.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
02-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
thats perfect! the house we stay at is near signpost corner so the walk up to hillberry is fine.

Cheers for that
02-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
Evilkinevil-15 Offline

Threads: 4
I would second Hilberry. Top tip would be to take a packed lunch as the burger van is pretty expensive up there.

For Saturday, public transport only and weather dependent, possibly non-bikers might be biked out.

Suggestions

Steam Train to Port Erin and chips/ice cream/pints in the Bay.
Manx Museum is worth a visit and its free
Camera Obscura is on Douglas head
Electric railway to Laxey and up Snaefell or onto Ramsey
You'll be able to get the bus to Peel to the House of Mannanan, Peel castle, plus the pubs are good, kipper house and I believe there is a small transport museum there.
Bus to Castletown, there is the Castle there but not much else. If you ask the bus driver to drop you at the Aviation Museum, its interesting too (depends what you like though)

or you could just go to the pub
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Find Reply