Take your helmet off in Ramsey petrol station
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Take your helmet off in Ramsey petrol station
Although it happens on the big bit of land, I never thought you would have to take your helmet of on the Island, and even less so during the TT.
http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/ne...ff-demand/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Find Reply
Yamanx Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Take your helmet off in Ramsey petrol station
Vote with your feet Smile

"By all means think yourself big, but never think others small........."  R.F. Scott
04-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
That is a surprise. Just a one-off I expect. Do we know which of the two petrol stations it was? If they persist with this line then know doubt the other petrol station will be rubbing their hands with glee.

From the article it sounds like the guy was asked to remove his lid when trying to pay. On the odd occasion that has happened to me, I pointed out that they have already served me - the remaining question is only whether they are going to accept or decline my offer of payment. Invariably they accept it Smile
04-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
LOL Andy - if you don't want me to pay, come and take the fuel out of my tank!!

I'd like to know which one it was - so I can boycott it!!
04-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

I done just that in a Tesco by me about 12 months ago. The stations that have a 'thing' about helmets normally wont turn the pump on until you remove your helmet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
to be fair i have never been asked to remove mine, suppose if i was i just would, is it really a big deal?
05-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(05-06-2015, 09:32 AM)rubyhorse Wrote: to be fair i have never been asked to remove mine, suppose if i was i just would, is it really a big deal?

It depends how strong your principals are.
They would NEVER ask someone to remove there religious headgear to pay for petrol. I am no better or worse a person, so dont ask me.

05-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Find Reply
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
For me it's not a question of principal, it's just an incovenience. Especially if your earplugs get pulled out and you have to refit them, or if it's winter and you have to spend time tucking your neck tube in round the bottom of your lid to keep the wind out. And if they ask you to remove your lid before fuelling (which is the only time it makes any sense, see my post above re the pointlessness of asking you to remove it before paying), then where do you put it down safely, given how filthy petrol stations are?

It's enough of a hassle that I'm quite happy to bear the minor inconvenience of continuing to another petrol station if asked to do it. Every time someone votes with their wallet in that way, it adds a little bit of pressure to prevent it becoming a universal practice.
05-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
rubyhorse Offline

Threads: 5
Its a good point c iom tt, obviously the reasoning is to see your face in case you do a runner, so your correct that the rules should apply to everyone.

Unfortunately the world we live in dictates that people are treated differently. Its perhaps an argument i would now put forward if i ever got asked.
05-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
I think I've always been quite lucky with the helmets I've worn as it's never seemed like much hassle to take a few seconds to remove it before going in to somebody's shop and show them a little respect while I pay for my fuel.

Seriously, there are bigger problems facing us out there than having to take your helmet off.

Vote with your wallet if you don't like it.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 11:47 PM by Malcolm.)
05-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Find Reply