Colin Appleyard MBE
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Colin Appleyard MBE
Colin Appleyard, the well known motor cycle dealer from Keighley has died today at the age of 79.
Colin spent 20 years at my father's shop, (Allan Jefferies Motorcycles), before embarking on running his own shop in 1971. Colin put a huge effort into racing, from being a competitor on solos and sidecars in the 50s and 60s, to sponsoring his son Robin at British and World Championship level, and subsequently sponsoring countless trials, moto x, and road race competitors in every level of the sport. He was also incredibly successful in business, with a number of car outlets in addition to his motorcycle shop.
He has been a friend for the whole of my life, and I honestly believe that Colin's presence will be sorely missed throughout the motor cycle industry, and the sport. Some years ago he was awarded the MBE for his services to motorcycling.
He leaves behind his widow Peggy whom he married 55 years ago, and his two children Robin, and Judith.

R.I.P. Colin, you were one of the best.
30-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Find Reply
harveymushman Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Colin Appleyard MBE
Very sorry to hear that - many good memories of talking off road to Colin - Condolences to friends,Colin's family and widow Peggy
01-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
A good man the biking world is a sadder place
.     RIP Colin  
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 07:23 AM by Malcolm.)
01-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I read about this on Twitter last night.
Truly sad, and a great ambassador for our sport.
r.i.p Colin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
01-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
Colin you are one of the names that stands out from the crowd in one of the greatest eras of motorcycle racing.

May you RIP . 
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
01-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: colinappleyard.jpg]

Colin Appleyard MBE, who passed away this afternoon, was a typical Yorkshireman - hard headed in business, a great lover and supporter of his sporting passion of motorcycle racing, and a gentle giant who was in many ways 'The father of the British Superbike paddock' with his humour, sense of direction and viewpoint.

He established his car and motorcycle dealerships in 1971, but still maintained a family business feel to them as they grew in towns across his home county with four wheel franchises for Suzuki (the longest established in the UK), Nissan and Subaru. On two wheels Colin Appleyard Motorcycles has twice been awarded the coveted MCN Dealer of the Year Award.

Colin established his motorcycle racing team over two decades ago, supporting his son Robin who became a dominant force in the 125GP class, winning the British title in the colours of his father's team and graced the World stage on seven occasions in 250cc Grand Prix action.

When Robin retired from competition Colin maintained the family's link within the racing paddock and he continued to run his team with the aim of giving opportunities to young British talent to bring forward the stars of tomorrow, which he has continued to the present day. That is the case at present with the team, now fully titled Appleyard/Macadam and Doodson, continuing under the guidance of Robin to run Danny Webb in the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship.

Colin's services to motorcycle sport were widely recognised and he received an MBE in the New Year honours at the end of 2012.

Colin was a man who always had time for everyone, he enjoyed discussing his sport and he was one of the most respected of team principals in the British Championship paddock - he was a gentleman who will be sorely missed.

To the end, Colin was taking a keen interest in both his quarterly reports on his thriving business empire but also questioning if Harry Hartley would be fit to ride his team's second bike at Knockhill.

Colin died this afternoon with his wife Peggy at his bedside, along with Robin and his sister Judith, who had been able to spend some quality time with him and chat over family memories.

RIP Colin, and the thoughts and sympathies of everyone in the MCE BSB paddock are with his family and friends at this time of loss.

Stuart Higgs, MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship Series Director

As reported on the BSB Website
01-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Website Find Reply
mdvineng Offline

Threads: 0
Great bloke, helped me many times, even when in competion against Robin. great humour too! sadly missed.
01-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Find Reply