Replying to Posts
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Replying to Posts
I have spent some time recently sending PM's to people who have not been using the Post Reply functions in the manner in which they were intended. Therefore to save me having to send numerous PM's in future, I would appreciate everyone reading and understanding the following.

I would like to provide you with a wee bit of advice on using the Reply and New Reply functions on the Forums.

The Black "New Reply" button at the Top & Bottom right hand side of the post listing in any thread, is for the purpose of adding a new post immediately beneath the last post that appears in the list of posts within the Thread.

Using this function, your post will be located immediately beneath that last post and it will contain ONLY your comments.

This is the preferred method of answering prior posts.

The Red Reply Text within any post, is for you to reply to any post that appears anywhere further up in the thread listing, and placing your new post at the very end of the complete Listing with "Quote" type white panel included, containing the text of the post that you are replying to.

What I am seeing is that people are using the Red Text Reply facility incorrectly and that there are White Panel Quotes being included un-necessarily in replies to an immediately above post.

Using the Red Text Reply facility instead of the Black NEW POST button, only makes the posts and the site look untidy, and I ask of you to use the Black NEW POST button in future, when replying to immediately above posts, in order to assist in keeping the Threads tidy and more easily readable.

By the inclusion of all the White "Quote" panels in postings, the Threads become longer than is necessary and this makes scrolling of the Thread story confusing at times, for others.

In addition, the inclusion of white panel quotes from previous posts only serves to take up more space and memory on the server.

Many Thanks

Malcolm.
01-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Website Find
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
RE: Replying to Posts
Have to hold my hands up and say I always just bang away in the Quick reply box , oh well give me three choices and I am always going to pick the wrong one , and according to our lass I am the most untidy person she has ever met , it's a hard life being an old Luddite, lol
01-07-2015, 12:30 PM
Find
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Using the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the listing is perfectly acceptable Eddy.

If replying to the last post in a thread this method simply adds your post to the bottom of that list, making yours the last in the list.

My post refers to people who are using the Red Text Reply function as mentioned in my original post.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 01:17 PM by Malcolm.)
01-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Website Find
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Thanks for explaining that Malcolm. Very informative.
01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Find

I think sometimes part of the problem Malcolm can be when people are using different devices , like if I try and answer a post using the red reply button on my phone  the text just goes in to the box that the person I am replying to posted , it does not as it does on my laptop show the white box with the quote in it with space under that white box to put your answer in , so that when you click the post tab when it is put up it just looks like the quote with nothing after it , , don't think I am explaining my self very well here but I know what I mean even if I didn't say what I meant ,

your's confused Old Luddite from Yorkshire lol

Eddie, Your phone is phone and not a Laptop or a PC and don't expect it to perform like either of those devices as so many people expect them to.

The software that is used in mobile devices (In particular Apple phones and Tablets), are not fully compatible with the general software used for full blown websites, hence why there are Mobile versions of websites around.

Mobile versions of websites do not have all of the functions that a full blown website has and basically they are stripped down basic versions of the full blown website.

I have no end of trouble with people who try to sign up to this website who in the main are using Apple iPhones and/or Tablets etc and they cannot complete the process because their software is not fully compatible with the software used on this website (and most others).

Again, iPhones are phones and not Laptops or PC's so don't expect them to function like one.

I sometimes use a Samsung Tablet and a Blackberry Z10 smartphone and both of them generally work ok, but not fully with the website.

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 04:04 PM by Malcolm.)
01-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Find
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
Malcolm, is a partial quote of the post directly above acceptable if I'm replying to a specific point within it?
01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Find

But you can only put a partial quote by copy and past cant you , and that should be ok I would have thought as long as you show where it came from , or am I wrong again Malcolm ?
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2015, 04:13 PM by Malcolm.)
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Find
AndyL Offline

Threads: 2
(01-07-2015, 02:09 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote: But you can only put a partial quote by copy and past cant you

No you can edit the quote in the reply page!

(Quote included for the purposes of demonstration Smile )
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Find
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Thank you AndyL

Malcolm
01-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Website Find