Technical Infringements
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Technical Infringements
Exactly,the organizers need to learn the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it"
04-09-2015, 08:34 AM
Find Reply
V Twin Mechanic Offline

Threads: 4
(04-09-2015, 02:42 AM)Superbike Wrote: It's harsh on the riders incurring such a high penalty would 5 seconds not be enough or a warning the first time?. It will be a shame to see the old board go as part of the attraction for me and many others is the history and the 'old skool' ways and feel of the Iom and everyone pulling together to create the worlds best race just like the scouts getting involved folk opening up there garden or fields for spectators. The led's and all the flash F1 style boards will never be the same, I know we all have to make use of new technologies but some things should be left as is traditional and to keep the character of the yesteryear alive.

If the scoreboard is removed and is replaced by a digital thingy, I sugest that it is not destroyed but part of the scoreboard should be erected behind the Grandstand, perhaps to the side of the TTRA building. I did speak to a MHK whilst I was in the IOM last week and he did tell me that NO decision had yet been made, however he did say that some of the wooden construction has rotted. I have also read somewhere on this site that somebody commented that their riders light did not come on, I remember riders lights not coming on and also the indicator fingers showing where the rider is on the course not being moved on and this was during world championship F1 and F2 races in the 1980's, but we coped !
04-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Sat there waiting for your rider's clock hand to clunk around in those days was exciting, the odd time it would move late, two places at once to catch up or not at all then then just as your thinking he's retired somewhere or worse the bloomin' light comes on or he's signed at Bungalow and then no light or a combination of all of the above, one pit person up on the metal steps looking up towards Governors with a stopwatch was the best bet.
04-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
(04-09-2015, 08:26 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: And what happens when it breaks down mid race ?

That's not one they have thought through either . I sell these screens, and just like anything else, they do fail from time to time. They are made up in panels aprox 500mm square with some upto 1mtr square.  When they go faulty it is mainly the front panel. It has to be removed from the front which depending on where they locate it, they won't be able to do when the roads are shut. There are some solutions to this, but they tend to be in hi grade/hi cost product. My guess is they will end up buying a cheap one as there just happens to be a company on the island who have such product.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Find Reply
V Twin Mechanic Offline

Threads: 4
(04-09-2015, 06:54 PM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: Sat there waiting for your rider's clock hand to clunk around in those days was exciting, the odd time it would move late, two places at once to catch up or not at all then then just as your thinking he's retired somewhere or worse the bloomin' light comes on or he's signed at Bungalow and then no light or a combination of all of the above, one pit person up on the metal steps looking up towards Governors with a stopwatch was the best bet.

That was all part of the excitment and tradition of the TT then Alfie. Do you remember when some teams used to comadere the red telephone boxes that were behind the grandstand for the whole of a race, a pocket full of coins and you could get information on your rider from a friend who had comadered a phone box in Ramsey, and perhaps elswhere. Messages were then shouted across to the riders pit.
04-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

I'd like to know how they are going to simulate a full distance race timing/speed/position "broadcast" to make sure it works properly if that's the way the scoreboard is going, if it's anything like racing all sorts of rubbish goes wrong in the race that doesn't seem to happen in practice. With the amount of space available surely they could incorporate some new flash tech in with the historical tech. The money would be better spent improving the cramped pit area/facilities.
04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Yes all of that VTM, I can remember looking once for our rider one session in the 80's, we knew he was safe/retired in practice somewhere past Ramsey but couldn't get a definite position from anybody, we eventually found him at Hillberry after driving all the way to Ramsey. They somehow managed to "retire" me 1991 Senior at the Bungalow on lap 6, I finished and there was nobody from my crew at all there to meet me, I hadn't even stopped at the Bungalow, looked up at the scoreboard and lap 6 and had a bloomin' "R".
04-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
The regulation regarding electronic items being intrinsically safe, is purely one of reducing risks,and according to the MMCC/COTC and one designed to keep outside agencies happy.

The bike is of course the most significant heat and open spark sources likely to be un the vicinity of the pits, but of course has to be there. Other items do not, and hence are unnecessary risks.

It was repeated to competitors over and over again that banning electronic items was purely in order to satisfy the issuers of the pit lane petroleum licence. If it gets revoked, there is no fuel in pit lane and hence racing (of any consequence) on the island ceases.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015, 09:55 PM by curlydog.)
04-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
Does this mean that during TT zero races/practice, all the fuel/combustible substances are removed from the pit area?
05-09-2015, 01:09 AM
Website Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Do the hairdryers use the pits?
05-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Find Reply