Rem Fowlers 1907 TT Winning Norton
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Rem Fowlers 1907 TT Winning Norton
Visited TT Grandstand today, overall there were some amazing machines up there, highlight being the AJS Porcupine. Had a good look in the classic Norton tent, some beautiful bits of kit from the past, however, I was a bit surprised at the machine that was touted as the machine that won the first TT, I think that this was the machine that was lovingly restored for the Centenary TT but is obviously not Rem Fowlers original (unless the frame has been altered). Just saying.
31-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Rem Fowlers 1907 TT Winning Norton
Quote from Simon Grigson - http://www.vintagenorton.com

"It reminded me of a long running and rather ill humoured (on both sides!) exchange of messages I had a couple of years back with the top dog at the National Motorcycle Museum (NMM), Simon Hartland. These related to the machine which has been touted by the museum and many others as the actual bike on which Rem Fowler won the multi cylinder class of the inaugural 1907 TT. Despite my perhaps pompous suggestion that they owed it to their visitors to label their exhibits accurately, the NMM people refused to accept written evidence provided to them which shows clearly that the machine was nothing but a fake. It was assembled in the early fifties from parts garnered from the south of England, by an enterprising back street dealer in Maidstone called Percy Webb. I am aware that the machine was another casualty of the NMM fire and has been skilfully rebuilt by Dr J C (George) Cohen who also subscribes to the view that it is original - seemingly on the basis that Titch Allen once stated that it might be!"
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM by Mr B.)
01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Rem Fowlers 1907 TT Winning Norton
Interesting read, confirms my suspicions.
01-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Find Reply