ILR - Isle of Man Classic TT Report
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ILR - Isle of Man Classic TT Report
[Image: lougherplainlogo.jpg]

500cc Classic TT

Ian Lougher's 30 second pit-lane penalty effectively ended his challenge for victory in an eventful Isle of Man 500cc Classic TT, however as always the Welshman put in a typically professional and spirited ride on a day when he could easily have been forgiven for throwing in the towel.

Quickest through the Sulby speed trap at 146.80mph and well in contention at the end of the opening lap as he pitted the immaculately prepared Giovanni Cabassi/Flitwick Motorcycles CMM Paton for fuel, the unintentional infringement put Lougher down in 8th place and well over a minute down on race leader Dean Harrison by the time he reached Glen Helen on the second lap.

But as the riders rounded Ramsey Hairpin on the next lap, it was obvious to everyone that Ian hadn't given up on this one as he now occupied 4th place, just over 4 seconds behind third place man Lee Johnston with Michael Dunlop second and Harrison still leading, although with the Yorkshireman pitting for fuel at the end of the second lap his advantage over the charging Lougher had been reduced dramatically by almost two-thirds.

Ian moved up to second place at the end of the third lap during which he set the fastest lap of the race at 110.729mph, but Harrison’s lead was still at some 25 seconds, and with the deficit around the same at Ramsey on the final lap and with drizzle now falling on the Mountain section between the Verandah and Brandywell, Ian brought the Paton safely home to a very impressive second place finish some 26 seconds behind Harrison.

The history books will say that the time penalty had cost Ian the race, and whilst this is true not only does it take nothing away from Dean's win, but also does nothing to detract from the equally impressive performance of the Team ILR owner/manager who has only had one outing on a bike this year.

[Image: lougheronpaton11.jpg]
Ian Lougher at Ginger Hall on the Giovanni Cabassi/Flitwick Motorcycles CMM Paton
during the Isle of Man 500cc Classic TT

[Image: lougherontz250.jpg]
Ian Lougher on the Laylaw Racing TZ 250 Yamaha

Formula 2 Classic TT

Fastest in qualifying, there was a quiet confidence in the Team LayLaw Racing/Lougher camp going into Monday's Formula 2 Classic TT.

However from the early stages of the opening lap of the four-lap race it soon became evident that all was not well with the TZ 250 Yamaha, and Ian reluctantly pulled in at the end of the lap and retired from the race.

Typically, Ian's disappointment was for Eddie (Laycock) and Gerry (Lawlor) and the newly formed team who had worked so hard in what was their first Classic TT.

Ian Lougher:

"I was going so slow in the pit lane after getting a 30 second penalty last year, so I'm not sure how I was penalised again for speeding, but I was so I have to take it on the chin.

I would like to apologise to Giovanni and the Linsdell camp for this, and would like to thank them for the opportunity to ride the best turned out and most reliable Paton on the grid for a second time.

It's a shame we didn't win but we showed we were the fastest out there obtaining the fastest lap and speed trap figures, something which is hard to achieve in this class of field.

The F2 race was so disappointing not only for me but more so for Eddie, Gerry, Mick, Shane, Martin and all the guys who worked so hard all week on the TZ 250.

We think we suffered with a duff ignition, as the bike wouldn't pull at all and was trying to cut out on every gear change, it was impossible to continue so had to retire to the pit lane.

We have all promised to be back next year to make amends.

But on that note from all at Team ILR, I would like to congratulate Ryan Kneen on his great ride in the class.

Ryan is a great talent and a star of the future in my opinion."
02-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Website Find Reply