Why do they make plans on the strength of a weather forecast?
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Why do they make plans on the strength of a weather forecast?
Another day that turned out nice after they decided to cancel races. So annoying, must be 100 x worse for the competitors.

Just think that there are too many knee jerkers calling the shots these days.

Yes safety is a major priority but surely the paying punters should be included in the same equation.
02-09-2015, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
simonk Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Why do they make plans on the strength of a weather forecast?
it's a tough call, but proddy races on treaded tyres should run in the wet IMHO, as long as air-med can get about safely. The throttle works both ways as they say. Still think of Joey blitzing the field in heavy rain on 2 strokes with a wicked narrow power-band, looking as smooth as ever. Tough conditions bring out class and intelligent riding combined with course knowledge.
03-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I heartily agree with these comments. Obviously rider safety is of paramount importance, but I DO think that the races should go ahead so long as Air-Med can operate. 
Now the programme is being squeezed, and the Lightweight/ Supertwins riders have been very inconvenienced, when we were all sat around yesterday in perfect conditions. 
From a rider's point of view, it WAS very frustrating. 
03-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Can fully undertand the riders get frustrated but as we all know conditions can be perfect at the Grandstand and be very diffrent on the mountain section.Riding into that fog is not fun or safe.

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
03-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
The CoC has to make a call at some point using the information available at the time.
Nothing upsets some locals more than having roads closed for racing than having roads closed with nothing happening.
You also have to consider the marshals - I'm sure they don't like sitting around all day doing nothing.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM by Moderator2.)
03-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Its the old scenario though isn`t it you cancel racing because the forecast and everyones up in arms as the rian wasn`t as bad as forecasted or you go ahead with the racing disregarding the forecast and there is a rider killed due to the conditions.The CoC has a massive desision to make and there decision if final,thats it.

As a marshal myself it can be frustrating sitting up on the mountain and there being very little action but the odd Subaru going by but what can you do???Not a lot...........

As Michael Dunlop says "It is what it is ,nothing more ,nothing less"

P

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
03-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
Riding in the wet never bothered me, I'd rather have it properly wet so you know where you are with it, but if you get some info before you leave the line that also helped. At The Manx of older days you knew before you got on the boat there was a chance of starting a wet race and at times it was p'ing down when we started and one year we had hailstones, rain and and howling wind .. it was biblical weather, early 1990's.
03-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Unfortunately the current organizers think that they are reinventing the wheel and tend to forget that you can actually ride a bike in the rain, some of the best races have been in the wet, Nigel Davies whupping everyone in heavy rain until Steve Hislop and Honda spat the dummy and had the race stopped.

Just need to ride to the conditions, yes it doesn't look as good for the cameras but it gets the job done.
03-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
I Can imagine it's very frustrating for the competitors. I don't seem to recall anymore incidents happening due to running in the wet if visibility is good up the top, but I might be wrong on this one. I remember that great race featuring fellow Welshman Nigel "cap" Davies would have been amazing if he'd have won.
04-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Find Reply