MGP plays second fiddle to Classic TT
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
MGP plays second fiddle to Classic TT
Well that's it then for another year. I posted a couple of weeks back saying that I didn't agree with the new set up. This is now even more the case having seen all of the hype that the Classic got and then it was like a light switch going off, feel so sorry for the lads and lasses in the MGP proper. They didn't even get a mention on the TV programme. Surely if they are getting the TV crew over they should cover the whole event. It is more obvious now that the organizers don't want the MGP, we have newcomers saying that they had never even heard of the MGP until someone mentioned it to them at a club meeting, shocking really.
04-09-2015, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
RE: MGP plays second fiddle to Classic TT
It does seem strange that the IOM Gov don't make use of the Classic Race TV coverage to give the MGP Races a 'plug'.
The old mix of modern, and classic bikes racing on the same day seemed perfect to me, but I am slowly coming round to the view that the Newcomer/modern bikes are not wanted.
05-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Got to agree I'm afraid. A lot has changed since i last competed in 2011. This year I felt at times as if I should be grateful for being allowed to get out on course when the Classics weren't using it.
05-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
The DED's view is that the MGP does not bring a big enough revenue into IOM PLC for the effort and disruption the racing causes.
Therefore it is not in there interest to promote the MGP
The FOM however Is another matter. It is organised and promoted by the DED who belive that it is the way to bring in revenue during this period
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
05-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

I spoke with someone within the organisers who said that PP reckons the Classic TT will be as big as the TT in five years
05-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

It could well be but only the organizers have the powers to make that happen, like say they decide to halve the promotion of the TT and double up on classic promotion. They have proved how they can strangle the life out of the MGP, who is to say they won't do the same with the TT? They are certainly trying to do away with the MGP, and by not promoting it gives them a stronger stance when they work out the losses.
I can't understand why they don't encompass the whole "festival" and include the MGP in the hype.
05-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(05-09-2015, 02:17 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: It could well be but only the organizers have the powers to make that happen, like say they decide to halve the promotion of the TT and double up on classic promotion.
I can't understand why they don't encompass the whole "festival" and include the MGP in the hype.

1 After they have sold of the TT to an independent promotor, they wont have to lay out any money on the TT, which will leave them to concentrate on the FOM.
2 Because they do not want the disruption that closing the road brings during the second week when they have no identifiable revenue from the MGP like they do at the TT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
05-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(05-09-2015, 01:29 PM)curlydog Wrote: I spoke with someone within the organisers who said that PP reckons the Classic TT will be as big as the TT in five years
By big, they mean the amount of money it will bring in from the various travel packages/dinners/VIP events etc. The reality is that it does have that potential, but unlike the circus act who keeps all the plates spining on his own, the DED will be relying on the new TT promoter to keep there plates spining whilist the DED keep the FOM plates on the go.
Lets hope they dont keep bumping into one another as they fight for space to get to there plates.

05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

I really think that a private company running the TT in theory sounds good but it would need to have leaders who are true bike fanatics and are pationate more about the TT ran the bottom line of a balance sheet, which is what we have running it at present. Yes it might be more profitable now than it was 10 -15 years ago but it is turning into a corporate circus.
05-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
Circus is right,  IOMG won't be happy until the August/September meeting i.e.  MGP to me, has become a charade like F1. I wrote to Harvey Garton when the first "Classic TT" had finished, protesting about the treatment of the MGP at the hands of the likes of Manx Radio, and his reply was very encouraging, but I fear the  IOMG would like to see the MGP wither on the vine;  this has at least been postponed with the increasing entry for the races, and the advent of sponsorship by IMGold, let's hope other deep pocketed businesses can come on board. Beer2

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015, 09:19 PM by Malcolm.)
05-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

(05-09-2015, 12:26 PM)curlydog Wrote: Got to agree I'm afraid. A lot has changed since i last competed in 2011. This year I felt at times as if I should be grateful for being allowed to get out on course when the Classics weren't using it.

I have previously posted my disappointment at the new look event curlydog and it's sad you felt the way you have described. Are the Manx GP competitors intimidated by the Classic TT group? Are they feeling somewhat pushed aside by the organisers to accommodate this group?
I have always urged people in Australia to get to any event in the Isle of Man and I will continue to do so but I have no desire to return to this new look Classic TT/Manx GP. Hopefully people aren't as negative about its future as I am. It used to be the greatest event.
06-09-2015, 02:42 AM
Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

(06-09-2015, 02:42 AM)Jan Grainger Wrote: I have previously posted my disappointment at the new look event curlydog and it's sad you felt the way you have described. Are the Manx GP competitors intimidated by the Classic TT group? Are they feeling somewhat pushed aside by the organisers to accommodate this group?
I have always urged people in Australia to get to any event in the Isle of Man and I will continue to do so but I have no desire to return to this new look Classic TT/Manx GP. Hopefully people aren't as negative about its future as I am. It used to be the greatest event.

As it was four years since last competed at the MGP I was awarded a low starting number and really felt that those down the order do get a bum deal.

The practises as split into two sessions, and then each session is split into three groups. The groups are determined by your class and number in the class. If your number is 60 or above your are in the last group.

For practice sessions, you are always the last group to get scrutineered, if there is an issue you have the least amount of time to rectify it. It also means your last in the holding area. If you can get one of the few remaining power points you will need an extra long extension lead to reach it. Strangely enough, on race day and it's an early start to scrutineering the last group is called first! Go figure.

When you do get out on the track, again you are always last. This means that you opportunities to get two laps in are very limited, because the session is flagged before you can complete your first lap. On friday night I got out within the first ten of my group, posted a lap at 105mph and the flag still came out a minute or two before I crossed the line.

It means you get to qualify one lap at a time, not having the benefit of a flying lap or finding out how your machine will cope with two laps. I didn't find out until the middle saturday that my bike wouldn't do two laps on one tank. By this time my chances of finding a solution in time for the Junior on the wednesday were limited.

Being in the last group also limits your opportunities to improve. My pace was a bit quicker than the general pace of the last group. I was constantly hampered trying to pass slower riders both from my group and the group in front. In the very last practice session I snook out with the low numbers in the Junior. My pace immediately jumped from 108 to 111.4mph as I was able to hang onto the tail of some quicker riders for parts of the course.

I realise that things were really disrupted this year and the organisers had a lot of conflicting pressures, but I did get the feeling that unless your a TT star, or a MGP front runner, you constantly seem to get the sh1tty end of the stick.

I did make representations to the organisers, but there was no interest and I was disimssed.

As I write this I'm laying in Nobles having come off in my race, perhaps trying a little too hard to make up for lost time. I'm certainly not blaming anyone else for my crash, but the lack of laps certainly didn't help after a four year break. Even including the race I only managed seven laps this year.

I don't want to be all critical of the organisers, Wyn from the riders welfare has been wonderful in helping organise accommodation and travel for my wife who's remained with me whilst I'm in hospital. I just feel that more consideration should be given to those lower down the order to help them improve both performance and safety. Simply by occasionally changing the order of the groups would have given the lower riders a chance to get a flying lap in, and perhaps get pulled along a bit by a faster rider coming through. I suggested this but it wasn't entertained.

Whilst the Classic TT is where all the effort is being placed, my gut feeling is that the MGP will be left to wither and die. Such a shame for those who will be denied the wonderful opportunity of racing this magical course.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 09:17 AM by curlydog.)
06-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Thank you for this explanation. I can see exactly where you are coming from and I bet you're not the only one who feels this way. I watched the practice sessions from the grandstand last year and it looked far too busy. Good luck in your recovery and your future participation in the sport of motorcycling which we love so much.
Jan
06-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
A rider I was helping was riding in both the manx and  classic TT, all week he was taking his helmet up to whoever was looking after Arai helmets to have tear off's fitted, this was a free service ontill the classic TT was over then they wanted a £1 each, whats that all about then.
06-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Curlydog, I can assure you that I am aware of the order of practice anomaly, and I will do all I can to have it changed for next year. Many have mentioned it to me, but I do have a fair solution up my sleeve, which I think will work.
06-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
It would be a very good time for those at the DED who pull the racing strings to wake up and see the need for the MGP. Most of us can reel off a whole bunch of names who came to the TT via the MGP and became legends.

This week we've seen some serious potential for the future. Malachi Mitchell-Thomas (19 I believe), Billy Redmayne and Joe Newbould (both in their 20s) - all three in their second year on the TT course. Two of them over 120mph and Joe just shy of 119mph. They have the talent and time to become top runners at the TT.

One day (who knows when) the BSB paddock will fall out of love with the TT and where will the new talent come from if the boats have been burnt elsewhere.
06-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Website Find Reply
curlydog Offline
Just Getting Started

(06-09-2015, 11:35 AM)Splashdown Wrote: Curlydog, I can assure you that I am aware of the order of practice anomaly, and I will do all I can to have it changed for next year. Many have mentioned it to me, but I do have a fair solution up my sleeve, which I think will work.
Thanks Nick. I feel it does need looking at. I spoke with the ladies in race office a couple of times and tried to speak to Phil, but was told he wasn't available. I was told others had spoken to him and his response was there were hour long sessions on the mon and tues (of race week) and everyone would have a chance to complete two laps then. One of my major concerns was the bike not doing two laps on one tank of fuel, and not finding out until a day, or at the most two, before the race would have left me with no time to find a solution.

Congratulation on your podium. Nice to see someone flying the flag for us old folk.

Jason (Brewster)
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM by curlydog.)
06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
The whole practice "thing" needs looking at with the opportunity of points of view being put strongly across by the riders. I didn't know about the current set up until you guys just mentioned it - that is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in some time. Basically it looks like if you are lower down the grid you have a much reduced chance of getting in the "rhythm" and sorting gearing/fueling etc that only consecutive laps can give you - how is any body meant to get the hang of the St Ninians / Bray Hill section if only doing one lap at a time more often than two laps at a time.
06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
(06-09-2015, 11:35 AM)Splashdown Wrote: Curlydog, I can assure you that I am aware of the order of practice anomaly, and I will do all I can to have it changed for next year. Many have mentioned it to me, but I do have a fair solution up my sleeve, which I think will work.

Good luck with that Nick, let's hope the powers that be will listen to someone with your experience.
07-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Find Reply