In demand Lee Johnston keeping his options open for 2016
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
In demand Lee Johnston keeping his options open for 2016
[Image: leejohnsonatthett.jpg]
Lee Johnston on the East Coast Racing/Burdens BMW at the Isle of Man TT.

Fermanagh’s Lee Johnston is keeping an open mind over his plans for 2016 after a dream season at the major international road races has marked him out as one of the sport’s hottest properties.

Johnston was an ever-present on the podium at the North West 200, Isle of Man TT and Ulster Grand Prix, regularly outperforming his rivals in the bigger factory-supported teams on his stable of East Coast Racing/Burdens-backed BMW S1000RR and Triumph 675 machinery.

The 26-year-old’s career has been on an upward trajectory in the past few seasons and Johnston has quickly soared through the ranks since he made his roads bow at the North West 200 in 2008.

His double in the Supertwins class at the ‘Triangle’ venue last year was a taste of what was to come and Johnston raised his game to a new level to win a thrilling Superstock race in May, halting Alastair Seeley’s dominance to clinch his first international big bike success to the delight of his East Coast team boss and good friend Phil Reed.

Johnston, who also finished on the rostrum in both Supersport races at the North West, produced a stunning performance weeks later at the Isle of Man TT to finish third in the Superstock race behind Ian Hutchinson and Michael Dunlop, three years on from his Mountain Course debut.

However, his best was still to come as the ‘General’ swept to a headline-grabbing treble at the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod in August, where Johnston won both Supersport races and maintained his red-hot form on his BMW Superstock machine with another prestigious triumph at the world’s fastest road race.

It’s no wonder then, that a number of top teams have been chasing his signature for 2016 and although Johnston has stated his desire to deliver a TT victory for his East Coast Racing team before considering other options, he did not rule out the possibility of moving to pastures new next year.

“I’d like to win a TT for my boys and it annoys me because all my mechanics have won TTs with other people but I haven’t yet, so I need to try and set that right and have a good go next year,” Johnston told the News Letter.

“I don’t know what’s happening yet and nothing is finalised for next year.

“Obviously Tyco BMW would be a good team to ride for and it wouldn’t bother me being in a team alongside a big name because the pressure would be more on them and you’d just have to try and beat your team-mate, wouldn’t you?”
added Johnston, whose happy-go-lucky charm has made him a popular figure with fans and his fellow racers alike.

“There’s a lot of its, buts and maybes when it comes to thinking about whether or not you’d be better off in one of these bigger teams and if I was on a Tyco bike maybe I would do nothing with it, or maybe I’d win a TT – it’s just hard to know.

“It’s not just a matter of making a decision and away you go, there is so much else that comes into it.

“Anyone watching from the outside thinks it’s just pretty much a case of a rider doing this or that and then everything is sorted, but there is more to it than that,”
he said.

“For someone like me who hasn’t really made their name yet, if I went to a big team and had one bad year it’d be bad for my career and everything I did this year would be forgotten about.”

Johnston – who won the Joey Dunlop Superbike race at Frohburg

in September – is among the entries this weekend at the Stars of Darley meeting at Darley Moor in Derbyshire along with John McGuinness, Michael Rutter, Peter Hickman and Richard Cooper.

He will also make his fourth appearance at the Suncity Group 49th Macau Grand Prix in November on the ECR/Burdens BMW Superbike.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]
Kyle White
09-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Website Find Reply
bambam Offline

Threads: 6
RE: In demand Lee Johnston keeping his options open for 2016
Looks like hes staying where he is..savage results all round this year.
21-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

Lee Johnston has confirmed he will remain with East Coast Racing for the international road races in 2016.

Johnston had been hot property after a fantastic year, during which the Fermanagh man won the Superstock races at the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix and finished on the rostrum behind Ian Hutchinson and Michael Dunlop in the class at the Isle of Man TT on the ECR/Burdens BMW S1000RR.

Despite admitting he had received a number of ‘flattering’ offers, the 26-year-old has remained loyal to team boss Phil Reed and will ride BMW and Triumph machinery in the Superbike, Superstock and Supersport classes again next season.

Johnston, who is among the favourites for victory at the 49th Suncity Group Macau Grand Prix in November, said: “Phil will not mind me saying that I had a few very flattering offers for next season. When I sat down and looked at it all, I had to ask myself would anyone be able to offer more than we have here at East Coast Racing.

“We have a great bunch of guys with a lot of experience and with the support of BMW Motorrad and the development we have done with the 675 Triumph, I know we can do a top job next year.

“I’m not one for making rash predictions as that just sets you up for a fall, but I do believe we can build on this year’s results and hopefully add some more silverware to the collection.”

Team owner Reed said the key objective as always is to challenge for a coveted TT win next June and is delighted to have retained Johnston for another season.

“Lee has become part of the family here at East Coast Racing and we are really pleased that we can now build on the success we achieved this season,”

he said.

“We go racing primarily for the enjoyment of it all, but success breeds success, and with wins at the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix this year – our goal is to hopefully crack the code to a TT top step next June.”

Kyle White
21-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: eastcoastracinghdr.jpg]

ECR RETAIN JOHNSTON FOR 2016 SEASON

After a successful season that included a debut TT podium, three wins at the Ulster Grand Prix and a further victory at the North West 200, East Coast Racing will continue its involvement with Lee Johnston into 2016.

East Coast Construction began its association with the Ulsterman back in 2011, but a fully focused three-year plan was put in place in 2014, and team owner Phil Reed is delighted that his East Coast Racing team can continue with the 26-year-old next term.

Phil Reed said:

“Lee has become part of the family here at East Coast Racing and we are really pleased that we can now build on the success we achieved this season. We go racing primarily for the enjoyment of it all, but success breeds success, and with wins at the North West 200 and Ulster Grand Prix this year – our goal is to hopefully crack the code to a TT top step next June.”

With a personal best lap of 130.851mph at this year’s TT, en-route to his debut podium in the Superstock race, the diminutive Ulsterman will have plenty of goals for 2016 as he explained.

[Image: leejohnsonheadshot.jpg]

Lee Johnston:

“Phil will not mind me saying that I had a few very flattering offers for next season. When I sat down and looked at it all, I had to ask myself would anyone be able to offer more than we have here at East Coast Racing. We have a great bunch of guys with a lot of experience and with the support of BMW Motorrad and the development we have done with the 675 Triumph, I know we can do a top job next year. I’m not one for making rash predictions, as that just sets you up for a fall, but I do believe we can build on this year’s results and hopefully add some more silverware to the collection."

Jamie Ferguson – Team Manager:

"We are obviously delighted to be working with Lee again in 2016 as we feel that consistency is important to move forward in this game. We are more than pleased with the success rate in 2015 and on top of that, we have also learned where we need to improve both technically and on track. Everyone in the team is highly motivated for next season and as usual we fully intend enjoying the racing season with results a derivative of that approach."
23-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Website Find Reply