Guy talks about his new book: ‘When You Dead, You Dead.’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy talks about his new book: ‘When You Dead, You Dead.’
[Image: guywithtruck.jpg]

“My new book comes out tomorrow and you might be wondering, Why do another book? I don’t know, is the honest answer. I’ve never approached anyone to do a book, they’ve always come to me. The money’s alright, but it wasn’t about the money. I enjoyed the process of writing the first one. It brought back a lot of memories. This one was different, because everything was a lot fresher in the memory. The book company were dead keen, and they gave me the freedom to come up with an idea. I knew I had an interesting year coming up so I wrote it as I went a long. That means I was writing a chapter not long after it had happened, so people get to read what I was thinking there and then, almost as soon as something happened, but it isn’t a diary.

“The name of the book is where the first one, the Autobiography, finishes. It’s what my granddad Kidals used to say. I wanted to call the first book When You Dead, You Dead, but they wouldn’t let me, because they wanted the cover to be as obvious and clear as possible so people might pick it up. And plenty did, so they let me have more of a free hand this time.

“The book includes a chapter on the best race of my life, Pikes Peak; the greatest poo of my life; the biggest crash; new missus; new dog; mountain bike racing; India; New Zealand…

And there are things I talk about that that haven’t changed, like my boss, Mick Moody; my friends, the Maws; my dad… They’re all like GMT, Greenwich Mean Time, they never change, you know where you are with them.

[Image: guymakingabrew.jpg]

The publishers wanted a photo of me on the cover of the book, but I also got chance to have a special cover made too. It’s just something a bit different. It’s like the calendars we do. It looks good, but if you know what it means it’s even better. I think it’s a good cover, but people can interpret it however they want. The regular book will be available from books shops, supermarkets and all that, but the special cover is only available from the Proper webshop.

“Ryan Quickfall is the artist who did the book cover, and he’s done other stuff for us too, including some of the calendar artwork from previous years, the whole of the 2016 calendar, that’s coming out soon, and the tea mug too. He’s a real nice, polite lad, from Newcastle. He comes to Dirt Quake with his missus and is a cool-looking lad, but if there was a line-up of ten folk and I had to pick the person who could put my thoughts into pictures, I wouldn’t pick him, but he can. He’s on the same wavelength. I can’t believe how well he can do it.

“The select few who have read this book: my sister Sally, my girlfriend, Sharon, my mum and dad, are brutally honest and they reckon it’s better than the first one, but it’s hard for me to say.

“This book isn’t even out yet, and I haven’t got any plans to do another one, but never say never. I can see this year being even busier than last year. It looks like I’m off to Latvia and China, building a bike for the Wall of Death, and then I’ve got the biggest race of my life…..”

22-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Guy talks about his new book: ‘When You Dead, You Dead.’
Guy Martin is on the one show tonight folks.
22-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Funny isn't it that he says he hates all the media fuss ,yet here he is on prime time tv, what a joke. Thankfully there's something worth watching on BT Sport......
22-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
He accepts that he has to do a bit of promotional work to fulfil his obligations to those who invest in him, but he doesn't have to like doing it does he? In some peoples eyes he seems to be damned whatever he does or doesn't do...
(This post was last modified: 22-10-2015, 10:20 PM by Malcolm.)
22-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Find Reply
imort Offline

Threads: 3
(22-10-2015, 09:23 PM)Sussex Ninja Gal Wrote: He accepts that he has to do a bit of promotional work to fulfil his obligations to those who invest in him, but he doesn't have to like doing it does he? In some peoples eyes he seems to be damned whatever he does or doesn't do...

Well said
23-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Find Reply
Sussex Ninja Gal' Offline

Threads: 11
I've just finished reading the new book - and it was thoroughly absorbing. Being a long-standing admirer of Guy I was always going to find his latest take on life fascinating, but I'd recommend the book to anybody remotely interested in roadracing or Mr M: regardless of whether they actually like him or not.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but (!) I certainly won't be remotely surprised if we don't see Guy competing on the roads in future. Perhaps the lure of the incomparable 'buzz' that racing on roads brings will be too strong for him to resist in the coming months and years, but that's for Guy to discover and us to wonder. Whatever happens I wish him well; & trust that by following his own path in life he'll gain the happiness and personal fulfilment he richly deserves.
(This post was last modified: 30-10-2015, 11:57 AM by Sussex Ninja Gal'.)
30-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Find Reply
Owl Man Offline

Threads: 1
I got Guy's book for Christmas and couldn't put it down until I had finished it. A very interesting read even if as it seems he is trying to put the records straight on some of his actions. Hopefully some will understand him better after reading it. IMHO
01-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
I'm a Guy Martin fan and enjoyed his biography very much so I'm looking forward to the new book. If he chooses to pack in road racing then so be it he's already achieved far more than most. He may not have won a TT but that doesn't diminish his achievements one bit and his TT and more recent Ulster GP crashes will have no doubt focussed his mind. I say good luck to the man!
04-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Find Reply