Hop Tu Naa
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hop Tu Naa
For the annoyance of all those users of this site who didn't know what a Mhelliah was recently, I would like to wish all Manx residents a very happy Hop-Tu-Naa !
31-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hop Tu Naa
This is starting to resemble the Blackadder sketch with Dr Samuel Johnson & his new dictionary..

"Samuel Johnson: This book, sir, contains every word in our English
language.

Blackadder: Every single one, sir?

Samuel Johnson: Every single one, sir.

Blackadder: Oh. Well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the doctor my most enthusiastic... contrafibulations ! "

31-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just watch out for Auntie Witch celebrating it by overflying the IOM on her new turbo charged broom...Look out for the silhouette across the moon, surrounded by fiery Northern Lights...
31-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

But what happens if there's more than one of you ? How will we know which witch is which ?
31-10-2003, 05:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can assure you that she is sitting comfortably on top of my computer monitor shelf so I can keep at least one eye on her tonight!!!!!!
31-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Elizabeth and Harry
On behalf of Elizabeth and Harry...have a bewitching Halloween!
Their computer is not working, but I spoke to Elizabeth on the telephone tonight (Harry was exploring a particularly exciting entertainment centre, so didn't take part)
They are well, almost finished moving house, and hop (heehee) to have the computer working soon.
Their tame witch.
31-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Elizabeth and Harry
Thank goodness for that, I thought she wasn't talking to me!
David does go off at times but at least I can understand him, it is his girlfriend's accent that throws me.
By the way did anyone know that MANX is not a manx word?
01-11-2003, 01:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Manx word!
I'm sure Don you'll be telling us about it....
01-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since you asked Gail, it is not possible to spell Manx in the Manks language as both the letters x and z are wanting in the Manks phonology.
To really bore you to death here is an extract from Cregeen's Dictionary of 1835.

THE alphabet consists of seventeen single and three double consonants, and seven vowels - a, e, i o, u, w, y. Of the consonants, fifteen are mutable - b, c, ch, d, f, g, j, k, m, p, q, s, sh, sl, t. The immutables are - l, n, r, which always retain their sound; and alter not, except when preceded by s in the beginning of a word to show the degrees of comparison. gh and ph begin no radical, or at least ought to begin none, as the language now stands.
10-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you don't get Manx Minxes then...so how do we describe the ever mischievous Gwen Crellin?
10-11-2003, 03:57 PM