Ice cream boss baulks at hike in cost of pitch at TT Grandstand
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ice cream boss baulks at hike in cost of pitch at TT Grandstand
[Image: grandstandreararea.jpg]

A Peel businessman has hit out over rental increases for stallholders at the Grandstand during TT.

Ian Davison, who owns Davison’s Ice Cream, says that the cost of renting a stall has increased by almost 40 per cent during the past three years.

In a letter to Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly, Mr Davison said: 

‘The increases to my business have been close to 40 per cent.

‘You tell me more people come to the Grandstand area, however ever-increasing rental forces traders to continually increase prices for goods and services and increased footfall does not mean increased spend.’

He added: 

‘There may be 3,000 more people walk through the Grandstand area, but if they see the price of a small ice cream is £2.50, or a pork bap is £7, they don’t buy because they feel they are being ripped off, which is quite right.

‘However it is your department that is forcing the traders into this position with your increasing rental charges.

‘You are damaging the Manx economy, by forcing traders to charge exhorbitant prices. Spectators coming to the island for TT are already being ripped off, with high travel and accommodation costs, higher fuel and food prices. How long before these people stop coming?’

A DED spokesman said:

‘The prices are in line with other sports and outdoor events that generate similar commercial opportunities and income for caterers.

‘There has been a significant increase in footfall behind the Grandstand as a direct result of the department’s promotion and marketing of the TT, and it is therefore appropriate that trade prices reflect the rising commercial opportunity for traders.

‘The department has a responsibility to maximise income from all commercial opportunities associated with the TT to reduce the public funds required to run the event.’

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
Alan Vincent
03-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Ice cream boss baulks at hike in cost of pitch at TT Grandstand
Nice to see a Local Trader trying to stand up to the DED,
03-03-2016, 06:11 PM
Find Reply
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
He talks a lot of sense. It doesn't matter what event you go to now all the organisers want to do is to prise as much money out of the public as possible. I don't mind paying a fair price but to be honest I would rather go without than be ripped off, with 3 daughters I don't have much spare cash!!!
03-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
just hope its Ice Cream weather........

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
04-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
When the DED start making statements like 'prices are in line with other sporting events' you can guarantee whats coming next.
Stand by for the DED charging to get behind the grandstand and pits area in the coming years.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
04-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
Martini Man Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I like to visit the stalls behind the grandstand, look at the prices and laugh!....I will buy from the charity shop, but the others? No chance. It's a 5 minute ride to somewhere else that's much cheaper.....
08-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

Threads: 6
(08-03-2016, 01:49 PM)Martini Man Wrote: I like to visit the stalls behind the grandstand, look at the prices and laugh!....I will buy from the charity shop, but the others? No chance. It's a 5 minute ride to somewhere else that's much cheaper.....

Its not even that because last year as always on a budget I just walked down to St Ninians cross roads and brought anything I needed food or drink wise for a fraction of what it cost in the paddock at the garage.
I am not going this year but I am still praying that they don't introduce a charge for walking around the paddock which was the rumour going around last year.
Have a great TT everyone.
09-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Find Reply