New Isle of Man TT promoter has ambitious plans - but how will fans get here etc....
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
New Isle of Man TT promoter has ambitious plans - but how will fans get here etc....
[Image: crowdatsulby.jpg]
Crowds of bike fans wait for the start of the 2015 Senior TT at Sulby Bridge

New Isle of Man TT promoter has ambitious plans - but how will fans get here and where will they stay?

The TT has a new private partner with ambitious plans to invest £2.5m in the event and attract tens of thousands of new visitors.

But critics of the appointment of Vision Nine are asking how all these extra fans are going to get here and wondering where they will stay.

Following an hour-long debate, Tynwald supported the proposal to award Vision Nine a 10-year contract for the TT and Classic TT from 2017, by 27 votes to three.

Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly MHK said: ‘We have reached the point where we need additional expertise, networks and investment.’

He said visitor numbers for the TT and Festival of Motorcycling had increased over the past five years by 43 per cent to 57,000 while economic value and government income have both increased by 63 per cent, to £28m and £5m respectively.

But Vision Nine’s ambitious growth targets would see spectator numbers for the TT and Classic TT increase to between a minimum of 76,500 and a maximum of 125,000 by year 10 of its contract (85,000 for the TT alone).

If achieved, this would generate in excess of £69m economic benefit and government income of £12m per year.

It will take on more than £2m of the government’s annual costs to run the events and provide £2.5m of investment. In return, it will share the resulting net income in the proportion of 80/20 Vision Nine/DED.

But in Tynwald, Juan Turner MLC described the growth forecasts as ‘incredibly optimistic’. - ‘How are we going to get all these extra people here?’  he asked.

Mr Skelly said the idea was to spread capacity, increasing visitors during the non-peak period of the TT and Festival of Motorcycling.

At present the island is near current capacity over the middle weekend only, the DED said. By Senior Race Day visitor numbers are at their lowest point for the race week period - although this is not obvious as numbers are swelled as a result of the Bank Holiday on the island.

There is a great opportunity to extend the “peak” for the entire race week period, say the DED.

Mr Skelly insisted the Steam Packet had ‘plenty of capacity’ with only 10 per cent of ferry sailings during TT being full. Airlines, too, had significant extra capacity available.

The DED believe additional temporary accommodation can be created from basic camping through to temporary 4/5* hotels.

‘Of course’ targets were ambitious, he said, but they were achievable. And if the company did not hit targets for number of spectators, economic impact, media audience and rider participation, the contract could be terminated.

Mr Skelly said the aim was to attract a ‘new global and more diverse fan base’ while retaining core TT audience who could continue to walk around the paddock and watch the races for free. Peel Day and Ramsey Sprint could be expanded to give them wider appeal.

For the race organisers it will be business as usual, he stressed.

While plans for a World Series have been shelved, there was an option for Vision Nine to discuss the feasibility of future off-island TT events, said the minister. But the department would have the power of veto on this.

John Houghton (Douglas North) claimed Vision Nine had a ‘chequered history’.

Questions were also raised about the tendering process with claims that other potential bidders were put at a disadvantage by the tight deadline for applications. There were concerns, too, that Vision Nine was a client of the Sports Consultancy that was brought in to investigate the feasibility of a World Series.

Mr Skelly insisted the standard procurement process had been followed and satisfactory due diligence had taken place. Other bidders had also been clients of the Sports Consultancy, he said.

It is understood the Steam Packet is considering the implications of the Vision Nine contract, but said it has no comment to make yet.

Julian Topham, chief executive officer of Vision Nine, said: 

‘We are looking to get started on our plans for 2017. Our priority at present will be setting up an office with local staff members here in the Isle of Man.

‘We will be delivering real growth in spectator numbers and economic benefit for the Isle of Man over the next 10 years.’

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
22-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Website Find Reply
Big thumpa Offline

Threads: 5
RE: New Isle of Man TT promoter has ambitious plans - but how will fans get here etc....
They should listen to John Houghton

Sucking Rabbits outa Hedges Icon_mrgreen
22-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: New Isle of Man TT promoter has ambitious plans - but how will fans get here etc....
You really could not make this up if you tried.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
27-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Madness that costs millions this lot.
28-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I have absolutely no doubt that these guys will make more money for the IOM govt.

The event is absolutely ripe for exploitation.  Anything that needs booking a year in advance will tolerate some 'price structuring'

The unfortunate truth of our modern world is that success is only measured as 'a good day in the money shop'.

How long before we see corporate boxes incorporated into the grandstand?

Can't help thinking of what Brands Hatch Leisure did for circuit racing 20 odd years ago. 

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
29-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
it,s bad enough as it is trying to find a spot to watch the racing with all these extra so called fans coming we will be watching the racing on each other shoulders, in the fifties and 60s there were very large numbers coming to the TT but you could watch anywhere on the circuit but not today!
29-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Find Reply
Mugen Offline

As a competitor one of the big attractions is the paddock access to one and all and i hope this does not change. We get literally hundreds (maybe thousands) past our bikes during the event, which is a great opportunity to promote our company and brand, whereas at most of our races during the rest of the year we operate in a closed paddock tucked away with only a few seconds each on-track lap to register with the fans as our car/bike flashes by.
The TT is a great (you could call it old school) event and I hope the essence of the TT heritage will always remain.
05-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Many of my concerns have already been mentioned. Having not been over for a couple of years, I'm guessing numbers have increased already.
However issues such as Steam Packet not being able to hire the extra ferry this year would scupper Vision 9's visitor numbers plan.
Apologies if this has changed but I've not seen anything to the contrary.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

11-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Other issues have been highlighted by chatting to other fans. I find the toilet queue enlightening, although you chaps probably would say the bar

Portaloos need to be emptied during the fortnight. Apparently they are currently not and increased useage would necessitate this. I've overheard people say the food and drink from some refreshment places around the course leave a lot to be desired.

How do we get the TT organisers to take all the issues raised on this thread, and others, on board and address them?
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

06-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
The politicians,want to get a hold of Andrew Banks,( I think his name is) who owns Pentland Ferrys. He managed to establish a new ferry company, making Orkney super connected .This rival to the established outfit was not made welcome by many with protectionist agendas,but now you can virtually roll up to any of the 2 company's and get over and back easy.Vision nine can then bring more stag do types etc to wander on to the closed roads etc.But any discussion on making the TT bigger is total nonsense unless proper infrastructure is there.
07-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
sculptor Offline

There was a German Ferry company wanted to do this a couple of years ago who met with unbelievable resistance to it.( I'll try and find some of their replies to me) The Steam Packet seem to have it sewn up with the IOM Government ....Remember Geoff Duke's Roll On/ Roll Off ?. To be fair any company has to make money throughout the year, not just TT fortnight but as an old cynic I can only see the same problems 5 years hence by which time there will also be very few 'free' access points which are free ! ....Toto Wolff of Mercedes Formula 1, who is in the Island this week praised the access to the pit area which allows fans to be genuinely 'involved'....praise indeed !
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2016, 08:21 AM by Malcolm.)
07-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Find Reply
Queenbee Offline

Threads: 6
I agree with the question 'How will fans get here?'. I tried to book for this year with no luck and also to pre-book for next year. Finding a ferry to the island is ok but to get back I would need to stay until the middle of the week after racing and that is not convenient.

I often find I cannot commit to the journey until nearer the departure time due to other commitments and therefore have extreme difficulty getting bookings. Much as I would like to come more often I find I cannot.

There are also no flights available (unless you wish to pay silly prices!) and the car hire charges are also extremely excessive. The island businesses know that the fans will come and spend the money so I am afraid I do not see the need to put the prices up for TT weeks, the money will come in but the businesses just have to exploit! It is like a 'Dutch Auction' - lets see who will pay the most for the privilege of getting the booking and that in itself could end up putting people off!

Get the prices down and more travel availability and the island would make more money!
07-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Did no one else think it was a bit odd that Vision Nine presence was almost none existent at the TT this year?
You would have thought that a promoter would have a strong presence at an Event that A, they are promoting the following year, and B, engaging with the majority of there customers who were all in one place at the same time.
Bonkers!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2016, 04:09 PM by c iom tt.)
22-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
I tried to book yesterday for TT 2017, and unless I want to stay for nearly three weeks, everything on the Ferry is sold out.  We are told only 10% of sailings are fully booked, and there is plenty of room for more passengers, but this is clearly not the case.  Looks like I will have to give it a miss next year.
22-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
(22-06-2016, 04:08 PM)c iom tt Wrote: Did no one else think it was a bit odd that Vision Nine presence was almost none existent at the TT this year?
You would have thought that a promoter would have a strong presence at an Event that A, they are promoting the following year, and B, engaging with the majority of there customers who were all in one place at the same time.
Bonkers!

I think you will find that the vast majority of the Vison Nine staff are actually the existing faces from The Motorsport Development Dept at DED, so they were in attendance as usual, but not badged up as Vison Nine yet.
22-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(22-06-2016, 04:48 PM)warrior Wrote: I think you will find that the vast majority of the Vison Nine staff are actually the existing faces from The Motorsport Development Dept at DED, so they were in attendance as usual, but not badged up as Vison Nine yet.

Yup,
I was playing 'Devils Advocate'!
No prizes for guessing who one of the directors of 'Vision Nine IOM ltd' will be.
They really do seem to be lineing all there ducks up nicely, some great forward planning on there part........

22-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Some chatter on another forum (not a bike speciific forum) is implying that all is not well with this arrangement.  I haven't seen anything definite anywhere (but then I haven't looked too hard...) so I guess we'll have to wait for a politician to say something Dodgy
30-07-2016, 06:39 PM
Website Find Reply
taxman Offline

Threads: 1
(07-06-2016, 07:54 AM)sculptor Wrote: There was a German Ferry company wanted to do this a couple of years ago who met with unbelievable resistance to it.( I'll try and find some of their replies to me) The Steam Packet seem to have it sewn up with the IOM Government ....Remember Geoff Duke's Roll On/ Roll Off ?. To be fair any company has to make money throughout the year, not just TT fortnight

There was no resistance at all to Capt Bucholz. His scheme was pie in the sky and quite rightly never got off the ground. The Port of Douglas is free access to all suitable vessels.

There are two linkspans for ro-ro traffic. The Steam Packet own one and its down to them whether they permit anyone else to use it. The Government own the other and have given exclusive use to the Steam Packet in exchange for which the Packet must operate regular year round services, some of which are poorly utilised. This trade off provides a year round "lifeline". Any vessel would therefore need to crane its cargo on and off, which takes longer and makes the whole thing unprofitable. Remember Bucholz wasn't interested for humanitarian reasons.

The boat services are only really profitable in two areas TT and Freight. Bucholz wanted to operate in both, but without the commitment of a year round service. Essentially creaming off the Packet's good bits.

Geoff Duke's Manxline very nearly bankrupted both his company and the Steam Packet. Like it or not, I don't think there is room for sustained competition on these routes. Only Condor operates the CI Ferries and only Calmac the Scottish Islands.
01-08-2016, 02:53 PM
Find Reply
STEVEVTR Offline

Threads: 5
Looks like the chatter reported by Sticky might have some substance as the contract with Vision Nine remains unsigned.
02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Vision Nine contract delayed
[Image: vision9teamwithgov.jpg]
Vision Nine awarded TT contract (from left) Gary Thompson MBE BEM, Clerk of the Course TT Events, Adam Driscoll, CEO Vision Nine, 
Laurence Skelly, MHK, Minister for the Department of Economic Development David Cretney, MLC and Julian Topham, CEO Vision Nine

Plans to outsource the promotion of the TT to a private company have been delayed.

Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly MHK confirmed that a contract with Vision Nine had yet to be signed.

Vision 9 was due to take over as the government’s private partner after this year’s Manx Grand Prix, in time for TT2017. It has ambitious plans to invest £2.5m in the event and attract tens of thousands of new visitors.

But now it may not take over until after next year’s TT at the earliest.

Mr Skelly blamed the delay on failure to reach agreement with other government agencies involved in the TT.

He said: ‘I can confirm that the contract has not been signed.

‘There are on-going negotiations with all the different government agencies responsible for delivering the TT event. We are pursuing the will of Tynwald that we outsource to our preferred bidder which is Vision Nine. We are content with the decision to select Vision Nine as our preferred bidder.’

Tynwald supported the proposal to award Vision Nine a 10-year contract for the TT and Classic TT from 2017 following an hour-long debate in April.

The London-based company’s ambitious growth targets envisage spectator numbers for the two combined events increase to between a minimum of 76,500 and a maximum of 125,000 by year 10 of its contract (85,000 for the TT alone).

But critics of the appointment of Vision Nine have queried how all these extra fans are going to get here and wondering where they will stay.

The racing itself will continue to be run by ACU Events Ltd.

[Image: iomtodaynewlogo.jpg]
Adrian Darbyshire
02-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Website Find Reply