Access to Douglas Rugby Club campsite
rustys Offline

Threads: 4
Access to Douglas Rugby Club campsite
Just a question to some locals, as first timers to the TT, we have booked a Campsite at Douglas Football Club at Quaterbridge. Is there anyway you can gain access to the site when the course is closed? I have Google Earthed the site and it looks like you can walk under Bradden Bridge and get access around to the inside of the course, and possibly back down to the Campsite, is that a possibility?
Russ
24-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Find Reply
JAT Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Access to Douglas Rugby Club campsite
You can get under the bridge by Quarterbridge I am unsure about Bradden. You can then view at Quarterbride, go up to the pits via the Town and if you wanted use the coast road all the way to Ramsey or stop off and have a look at the Creg or the Gooseneck. Buy an Ordnance survey map, it will be a wise investment. I've just thought though, you will be walking so forget Ramsey etc!!! Make sure you watch at Barregarrow, awesome!!! The people on this site are a mine of knowledge so if you have anymore questions just ask.
25-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
If you're driving (or on a push bike) I think you can use the access road at Quarterbridge  to get to the inside of the course (the signs say no pedestrians but don't know how/if they enforce it) but don't know if you can make it across the fields to the campsite.  Depending where you are coming from: you may be able to get across at the foot bridge at st ninnians and walk down the back road towards Bradden Oak but again I don't know if there's a back way into the site over the fields.  If you're arriving during a session you're best bet is to find a spot to watch near Quarterbridge and then walk up after roads open (and perhaps after a beer or two...)
(This post was last modified: 26-04-2016, 08:43 AM by Raynetjr.)
26-04-2016, 08:43 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
In/on a vehicle - no on closed roads you can't access the campsite. You can get under Quarterbridge on foot with with some careful adventure(be prepared to get wet feet) . Going under Braddan Bridge on the Access Road either on foot or vehicle will get you to the inside of the course and I think from Braddan Road where the roads closed rope goes across you can jump up behind the wall and then trek through the trees to the campsite - this might not be the case now as I haven't been through there for a few years. I used to muck around down there as a kid it might be worth a look to see if there's a legal route at the top end of the campsite leading on foot to the Tromode Road which in turn will get you to the bottom of Bray Hill, probably worth an open roads recce on arrival .. have a good time.
26-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Find Reply
rustys Offline

Thanks to all that replied, you have been very helpful, and gives me a bit of an idea of what to expect, as we don't have transport. To have a Web-site for the TT is a great asset for people that have not been before, as you can ask questions and get good prompt replies, thanks again people.
26-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Find Reply
Stroller Offline

Threads: 14
(26-04-2016, 08:43 AM)Raynetjr Wrote: If you're driving (or on a push bike) I think you can use the access road at Quarterbridge  to get to the inside of the course (the signs say no pedestrians but don't know how/if they enforce it)
If on foot - just stand on the roadside a bit before the access road entrances ( there are laybys nearby ) and stick you thumb out..... I've picked up pedestrians on several occasions and seen others do it as well
27-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
devfrman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I have used Douglas rufc camp site for the last few years and am booked in there again this year. Getting out of the site when roads are closed isn't really that practical. The main entrance goes onto the circuit. Some people go under the road bridge at the quarter bridge end but very often get wet feet and last year the river was high . There are viewing places on the camp site from quarter bridge up to Bradden Bridge.
09-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Find Reply
devfrman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
P.S. Just remembered that this is a crossing point from quarterberidge on to union mills. access is possible at nominated opening times for crossing points
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2016, 11:53 PM by Malcolm.)
09-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
if youre willing to walk you can go across the bank to braddon then join the road and make your way to st ninians for the foor bridge but not sure how long a walk it is
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
10-05-2016, 09:33 AM
Find Reply
oil-cooled Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Hi, I have camped at the Rugby club since its first time great place. As others have said you can get under the road at Quarterbridge but may get wet feet. As Scaramanga said look on google earth there is a track that goes from the corner of the site behind the clubhouse through some lovely houses then turn right and follow to the dip of Bray Hill, great viewing from there you can walk through the houses up the hill to the crossing point at st ninians maybe 30 mins walk.
11-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Find Reply
rustys Offline

Yes I did see that track on G Earth, wondered if it went somewhere, should be a good spot to watch at St Ninians. Cheers Oil-cooled.
12-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Find Reply