Burrows Engineering Riders dominate 2016 KDM Hire Cookstown 100
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Burrows Engineering Riders dominate 2016 KDM Hire Cookstown 100
[Image: cookstown2016.jpg]

Cookstown/ Burrows Engineering team enjoyed a Dream result in the 2016 KDM Hire Cookstown 100 road races. Dubliner Derek Sheils dominated both superbike races, including blitzing the opposition in the Feature race of the day, the KDM Hire Cookstown 100.

Shrugging off the effects of an earlier spill, circuit newcomer Malachi Mitchell Thomas took second spot added with a win in the Supertwins and a third in the first open race.

Early rain showers threatened to spoil the party, but Thankfully the track dried out and The 18 race programme went ahead on schedule.

Held over from last night, the Invitation 600 race saw Derek McGee the early leader with William Dunlop, Malachi Mitchell Thomas, Dan Kneen and Paul Jordan breathing down his neck. At half distance, Dunlop made his move , but drama on the final lap, when Malachi Mitchell Thomas went down at Craigmount, resulting in the race being red flagged, this Dunlop taking the win by almost three seconds from Dan Kneen, McGee and Jordan. MMT had got caught out on a damp part of the track, was up on his feet, and returned to the paddock,.  Lee Johnston was a guest of honour at the KDM Hire Cookstown 100 today, and was on hand to interview and commentate on the 600 race. Lee, still recovering from the effects of his recent crash at Scarborough, is fighting to be fit in time for the North West 200, but s confident , continued with physiotherapy , he will be fit to run up front!

The open race saw Sheils lead from start to finish, with five seconds in hand from McGee and Malachi Mitchell Thomas in third. Kneen on the Superstock Yamaha was 4th ahead of the lone Honda of Brian McCormack, with William Dunlop a rather disappointing 6th.

Paul Jordan put his disappointing Tandragee 125 race behind him, as he took victory by five seconds from Adam McLean who got the better of Sam Wilson and Derek McGee. Local rider Nigel Moore was 5th ahead of Paul Robinson, with a disappointed Gary Dunlop in 7th.Dunlop,making his debut at Cookstown was into second at one stage before running wide at McAdoo Bend, dropping back to7t and unable to make up the deficit again.

In another hotly contested 600 race, the Championship race again saw McGee leading the early stages before the wily Dunlop took over to continue his unbeaten run of success in the national road races since the Cookstown 100 last year!

McGee took  second this time  with Kneen in third. James Cowton was 4th ahead of pole setter Paul Jordan and Czech visitor Michael Dukopil.

The closest racing of  the day came in a hotly contested Supertwin race. Surprize leader at the end of lap one was Derek Sheils, but lap two saw his team mate Malachi Mitchell Thomas inherit the lead.  Sheils led a train of Kawasakis with Dukopil, Jordan & Cowton in hot pursuit. Lap three, MMT continued to lead, but Sheils made a slip and Cowton moved into second with Dukopil in third with Jordan in 4th. This was the way they finished with MMT taking the win by over a second, with Cowtown setting the fastest lap of the race to take second and a delighted Dukopil in third. Jordan was 4th a disappointed Sheils was 5th with Stephen McKnight , the best of the Suzukis in 6th place. The winners awards were presented by Loris Britton, son of the late Richard Britton.

Derek Sheils stamped his authority on the KDM Hire Cookstown 100 race, The main race of the day, bringing to gether the best of the superbikes and 600machines. From the flag, Dubliner Sheils was on a mission, despite not being challenged, Sheils extended his lead on every lap, crossing the line with  over ten seconds in hand. Making it a day to remember for local businessman, a former Man of the Meeting at the Cookstown100, John Burrows, was Malachi Mitchell Thomas, riding in pain from his earlier spill, Thomas showed great maturity to take his superstock machine home ahead of the Martrain Yamaha mounted Dan Kneen, himself a past winner of this race, when he made his debut for Burrows Engineering team in 2014. Kneen took the advantage of McGee going wide on the final lap, with Dunlop hesitating, Kneen nipped through to take third spot, but more importantly, for him, was getting mileage on the stock machine before the NW200 and IOM TT races.

McGee took 4th ahead of Dunlop and Brian McCormack, again on the lone Honda  in 6th place.

Other race winners to day included, James Chawke winning the Junior Support race from Scott Miller and Paul Hurley.  John Horgan  topped the senior support race beating Mick Weldon and Mike Norbury.

Seamus Elliot took the win in the 400 race from Darryl Tweed who set a new lap record on the final lap, with Michael Dukopil in third.

Barry Davison was a double winner in the 500 and 350classic races. Davison dominated the 350 class taking the win by 20 seconds from newcomer George Stinson and Sam Kinkead

In the 500 race, it was manx rider Allan Brew who took second behind Davison with Ed Manly in third. Philip Shaw continued his dominance of the 250 class with a win from Gary Hutton and Thomas Hogg.

Richard Ford took the honours in the big bike classic race from Jamie O Brein and John Scott.

Derek Sheils 

“ Really pleased with my results here today, Pleased to win the Big race for John ,and the team, they  all work hard and this win is as much for them as it is for me, and great to give John a win at his local circuit”

Malachi Mitchell Thomas; 

“Have had a brilliant day, except for the 600!! Sorry John!, Im a bit sore, was glad to get back out on the bike again, winning the twins, brilliant for the team, Big race, second was mega, best of the Stockers, Im very happy Thanks again to John and all the lads, damn hard workers they are, and Jamie for his tips The 600 will be sorted for the North West 200,Im really looking forward to it,Thanks to the club, some  good racing here to day”

Dan Kneen 

“The supersport races were a little frustrating as I felt I had good pace. I got two poor starts and just couldn’t get a clear run to the front as there aren’t that many passing places. I was trying to line Malachi up on the last lap of the first race when he went down and I was lucky I didn’t get collected by his bike. In race two Derek got me going on to the last lap and covered his lines well to the flag. We’ve had so little time on the stock bike which is why we chose to run it here. I struggled in race one so we made a few changes for race two and it was an improvement although we still aren’t quite there with it. I was running up behind William in a lot of places but just couldn’t quite get through so when Derek ran wide and William hesitated on the penultimate lap I took my chance and got through to third. All in all a productive day and it was beneficial for the North West coming up.”

Francis Everard, Clerk of the Course 

“ We had a few problems in the morning time, and a few extra races to run today, But thanks to all the riders for their co operation, everything was able to run on schedule, My Thanks also to all the Marshalls ,Medics, everyone involved, for braving the rather Baltic like weather we had over the weekend, without their continued dedication, this wouldn’t happen. The racing was good, and I hope all the spectators enjoyed the 2016 KDM Hire Cookstown 100”

Update on injured rider:

Dougie Shearer, a newcomer to the KDMHire Cookstown 100, who crashed out on the penuitmate lap of the 600 B race, suffered torn ligaments in his pelvis, No Broken bones.

[Image: johnburrows&teamcookstown.jpg]

[Image: dereksheilscookstown.jpg]
01-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Burrows Engineering Riders dominate 2016 KDM Hire Cookstown 100
[Image: cookstown2016.jpg]

All of the Results - HERE

Photographs - HERE

Cookstown Races on TV soon - HERE