Guy Martin last fling ?
sculptor Offline

Threads: 4
Guy Martin last fling ?
Due to Ryan Farquhar's unfortunate accident in Ireland (I'm sure everyone wishes him a full recovery ), is there a chance that we'll see Guy Martin on the Tyco Superbike for one last crack at a TT win ? He knows the bike and gets on well with the team and I'm sure that elusive win is still at the back of his mind ....What a TT that would make !
14-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Find Reply
Blademan Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Guy Martin last fling ?
Not going to happen........Guy will be in America doing a long distance, multi-day Mountain Bike event.
14-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
After thinking of Ryan that will be the one of the following thoughts on many racers minds - a spare slot on a top bike is now available. I think most of the more well known names are already contracted, it will be interesting to see if they pull in another rider and who.
14-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
maybe a very lucky privertier might get a call
but at this short notice they might not replace him
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
14-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

There'll be somebody knocking on the door, it's a top bike and it needs racing.
14-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
maybolezx12r Offline

Threads: 28
Hopefully not.......Sick of all the "we need Guy to make the TT" talk. Just back from the North West and I really enjoyed not having to listen to Guy moaning about the chicanes or anything else that wasn't suiting him.
For me there is many riders ready for the step to the Tyco bikes but I think they will just runs with Hutchy who is on top form going into the TT from his performance on the North coast at the weekend.

P

Mountain Marshal from 2013 Icon_biggrin
16-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Well said, totally agree.

He should stick to push bikes, he might actually win that race.
16-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

just finishing that mountain bike race is beyond most if not all on this forum
guy may not have won a tt race but he has won enough other races to prove himself
also won a few times around a little place called castletown that a lot of tt superstars wont race
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

(This post was last modified: 17-05-2016, 10:06 PM by scaramanga.)
17-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Good for him, like I say he might be better sticking to push bikes.
You missed mentioning that he also hasn't won at NW200. Begs the question of what exactly he has won.....
Also interested in knowing who you refer to as "superstars that won't race at the S100" any names??
17-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Find Reply
Trident Offline

Threads: 0
Quote:'DBD 34' 
Begs the question of what exactly he has won.....?

Guy Martin :-

11 Ulster Grand Prix wins.

13 wins and outright lap record holder at the Southern 100.

The second fastest TT rider ever at 132.398mph (2015 senior)

16 TT podiums. That's more than Agostini, Robert Dunlop, Michael Rutter, David Jefferies, Phil Read, Cameron Donald and Carl Fogarty. He's had more podiums than Geoff Duke and John Surtees combined. (a right pair of no-hopers )

Good enough for you?
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2016, 10:41 AM by Malcolm.)
18-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Jeez, That Guy Martin chip gets bigger every year by the look of it, without riders committing all they have to the cause we wouldn't have any racing at all regardless of their demeanour. If you have the gumption and pure commitment to get yourself and your machine onto Glencrutchery Rd that's good enough for me, as for the winning thing for lots of the riders it's the personal challenge and excitement return on what you have committed. You can see what he gets from the sport and sometimes his words and actions could be better advised or not at all but without individual personalities this life malarkey thing quickly becomes very boring and staid with beige socks n sandals on yer feet.
18-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

We all know he is good at the Ulster GP and he has an impressive record both there and at the Southern 100 however, no disrespect but the S100 isn't really one of the big road races on the calendar.

Also, I think you will find that MD is the second quickest TT rider ever. I am not saying that GM isn't good, he obviously is, I am saying that I find it annoying that he gets so much attention when he hasn't won a TT or NW.

Amusing how your list of podium riders all have one thing in common, they all won at the TT, are you saying that GM is better than them because he has more podium finishes?
18-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
i have been going to the TT nearly every year since 1962 i have seen the best there is riders and bikes, to this day they still take my breath away i can,t think of anyone that should,nt have been there i know Guy has,nt won a TT but he still is great TT Competitor anyone who can ride a bike to the limits they do deserve my admiration he,s a character an oddball call him what you want but he can still ride a bike fast but unfortunatley so can a few others its what makes the TT great!
18-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Find Reply
Dingocooke Offline

Threads: 1
Why would anyone knock any TT racer? GM's record at the TT is pretty good, and he's not done bad at places like Scarborough either.
I don't get all the anti GM sniping that goes on, it's the nearest road racing has ever got to blooming football

To answer the OP, he's entered in the Tour Divide, so he's stated that he's not going to be at the TT

http://www.tourdivide.org

2,7145 miles from Canada to Mexico, off road, one stage all self supported; quite an event to even finish.

As John McGuiness says, 'don't write him off, I'm sure Guy will be back'
18-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
Regardless of how annoying you find him there is no denying that GM is a stunningly quick TT rider. Not many (if any) riders have been up among the top men for so long and not bagged a win. His podium haul is testimony to that.

I can see why people wouldn't like him but I struggle with why you would say he's not achieved much.

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
19-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Find Reply
Trident Offline

(18-05-2016, 11:37 AM)DBD 34 Wrote: Amusing how your list of podium riders all have one thing in common, they all won at the TT, are you saying that GM is better than them because he has more podium finishes?

No, I'm not saying that at all, his results are there for all to see and people will have to decide for themselves where he fits in amongst the 'TT Greats'. You either like Guy Martin as a 'personality' or you don't, that's fair enough. But seriously, nobody can knock him as a rider or as a TT 'Ambassador', just because he hasn't actually won a TT. Ask any member of the public to name a TT rider and I'd bet a pound to a pinch of sh1t the answer would be 'Guy Martin'.
19-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Yeah, but ask any true TT fan to name a TT rider and I'll bet most would not answer GM
19-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
So I am not a true TT fan if I name Guy Martin as a TT rider. Think you are not a true TT fan if you diss his performances. There are other well liked riders who have never won.
(This post was last modified: 19-05-2016, 11:54 PM by Malcolm.)
19-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

(17-05-2016, 10:44 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: Good for him, like I say he might be better sticking to push bikes.
You missed mentioning that he also hasn't won at NW200. Begs the question of what exactly he has won.....
Also interested in knowing who you refer to as "superstars that won't race at the S100" any names??

jm130
 hutchy
to name 2 but i dont knock them for it
its there choice at the end of the day
alister sealy is all time nw 200 winner but he hasnt even entered a tt never mind stood on the podium
some times a better rider is 1 that has more consistent success rather than the od win
there are many very good tt riders who have not stood on the podium that often
jason griffiths was very very good tt rider but never won but he had 20 podium finishes
won the manx 3 times and another 2 podiums 

(This post was last modified: 19-05-2016, 10:02 PM by scaramanga.)
19-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
Trident Offline

(18-05-2016, 11:37 AM)DBD 34 Wrote: ...... I am saying that I find it annoying that he gets so much attention when he hasn't won a TT or NW.......

That's just the way of the world. Guy's a 'character', a 'personality'. The media recognised him as such and homed in on him, fair play to him for making a good living from being Guy Martin. (and no, I don't buy into the 'I'm just a truck mechanic who races motorbikes for fun' nonsense) Irrespective of that he's still one of the best road-racers of all time. If he won 5 races in a week and set new lap records in every class you still wouldn't like him.
19-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Find Reply