yamsel
Anonymous
Unregistered

yamsel
anybody got any info on yamsel motorcycles?

were they supported officially in any way or were they just a standard modification of putting a yamaha engine and other parts onto a seeley frame?
09-12-2003, 12:26 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: yamsel
yep , as far as i can remember , it was a yamaha engine mounted in a seeley frame , it certainly was a very successful almaganation , many top riders scored sucess with these , i think John Cooper was one of the 1st ( if not , the 1st ) to score a major win on one of these machines , at the nw200!, Ray McCullough also had a lot of sucess as well on his silver livried machine.remember the ugp, ;leading Read , Sarrinen, Peter Williams etc.
09-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was it John 'Mooneyes' Cooper who was one of the first to successfully race a Yamsel? Not sure how much input the Seeley company had with this bike. Joey also rode a Rea Yamsel in his first TT.
09-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

as far as i can remember , Cooper might have won at mallory park , but have been thinking, he may not have won at the nw200 , but finished 2nd , can anyone else remember?
09-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I don't know much about the yamsel myself being 17 but i have one in my garage that my Dad used to race.....and will shortly be up for sale if you know anybody looking for one

sorry to thread jack
11-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

thread jack? can you think of a better place to try and sell an old bike than a site visited by people interested in old bikes? ;-)
13-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not a problem, sam, but you might try eBay too?
13-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi sorry if your not meant to advertise bikes on this message board i did not know, we are in no hurry to sell the bike i just thought with the thread having the title ''yamsel'' i thought maybe it would be of interest to somebody who has a interest in them.

Strict in here is'nt it?! Tongue
13-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sam, its not a problem, don't worry about it...lots of people mention their bikes for sale on here. There is also a free advertising section elsewhere on the site if you'd like to use it. Good luck selling her...I'd buy if I had the dosh!
14-12-2003, 09:35 AM
bony36 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: yamsel
Anonymous Wrote:Hi, I don't know much about the yamsel myself being 17 but i have one in my garage that my Dad used to race.....and will shortly be up for sale if you know anybody looking for one

sorry to thread jack
Hello, I am looking for a yamsel! If you want to sell it contact me on 07970_601382
or TZ1234@orange.fr
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
My brother (Tony Jefferies, father of DJ) won the 1971 Junior TT on a Yamsel if that's any interest to anyone while we're on this thread. It was the first Yamsel success at the TT, and I'm thinking it was the only one, but surely Joey 1st TT win was a Seeley framed TZ750, the Rea Yamaha?
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

cargo Wrote:Hi Nick............you keeping well ?

Here is the full list of Yamsel results as seen on the "official site"

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Events/...ach_id=462

The eagle eyed of you will have read this post before I edited it cos I made an error

BTW and completely off topic I ran a 10k race yesterday and knock over 2 minutes of my personal best.............could do with 2 minutes off my proper lap times now Bonk
06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: yamsel + photo exhibition
Coincidentally, I had prepared this picture for our second annual TT Photo Exhibition.

[Image: 1971J1x.jpg]

The exhibition will again be held at the Laxey Woollen Mills, Glen Road, Laxey from May 23 to June 13, Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. We will also be open on Mad Sunday. Free admission but a contribution to the MGP Helicopter Fund will be most welcome.

We hope to have the Senior TT trophy on display on May 23rd, and also hope to run an autojumble in the car park that day - more details later
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM by Bill Snelling.)
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Website Find Reply
stealth Offline

Threads: 0
I think Nigel Rollason won the Senior MGP on a Yamsel, probably the only Yamsel MGP win?

I would be interested to know the history of the Yamsel in 'Anonymous' garage, as there wasnt a huge amount of them about.

I remember John Newbold riding one in the early 70's which I think was ex John Cooper, Ken Redfern had one which he always went really well on, Martin Sharpe was another good performer on a Yamsel and I think Alan Barnett also had one for a while.

I think Roger Nott did the MGP on one, I understand Roger has recently passed away.
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
I remember Tonys win as if yesterday!

I watched from a field just after the Highlander on the right

What a cheer went up when Ago stopped and Tony won
MV
08-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Nice one MV. It doesn't seem 38 years ago to me either. I watched from the grandstand, with my right leg in plaster! My Dad was pretty chuffed, I can tell you. On the start line the fuel tank developed a slight weep. My Dad dashed to the ladies toilet, knicked a bar of soap, and promptly rubbed the soap into the weep. Job done! Race won!! The times I've used that trick in the: Scottish Six Days, the ISDT, the MGP, and the TT. 'Cos as you know petrol is impervious to soap.
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Find Reply
renzo Offline

Threads: 4
stealth Wrote:I think Nigel Rollason won the Senior MGP on a Yamsel, probably the only Yamsel MGP win?

I would be interested to know the history of the Yamsel in 'Anonymous' garage, as there wasnt a huge amount of them about.

I remember John Newbold riding one in the early 70's which I think was ex John Cooper, Ken Redfern had one which he always went really well on, Martin Sharpe was another good performer on a Yamsel and I think Alan Barnett also had one for a while.

I think Roger Nott did the MGP on one, I understand Roger has recently passed away.

sad but true i'm afraid.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM by renzo.)
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
NickJ Wrote:Nice one MV. It doesn't seem 38 years ago to me either. I watched from the grandstand, with my right leg in plaster! My Dad was pretty chuffed, I can tell you. On the start line the fuel tank developed a slight weep. My Dad dashed to the ladies toilet, knicked a bar of soap, and promptly rubbed the soap into the weep. Job done! Race won!! The times I've used that trick in the: Scottish Six Days, the ISDT, the MGP, and the TT. 'Cos as you know petrol is impervious to soap.

I didn't know that trick, Nick.

However, I was once advised that you could use porridge oats in leaky car radiators.
I tried the theory out in my 1931 Austin 7 but over did it. The resulting porridge blocked up the thermo syphon principle, spewed out from the overflow vent and set like concrete. It was several days clean-up before I could re-solder the header tank as I should have done in the first place.smilie smilie Bonk
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
12-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Find Reply
Tel Offline

Threads: 6
Good article in march/april classic racer on Seely framed bikes.Cool
"Long live Two Strokes"
12-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Find Reply