Engine stripping
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Engine stripping
Hi, When they strip the engines at the end of the race, how far do they take them down. Is it the heads off, as if you are using the engine again say for example for the second 600 race, who rebuilds them in that short time. In the manx I think I am correct in saying they just seal them and check them after your last race. It seems unfair to the privateer lads that get spot ,to have to rebuild them in a short time  
11-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Engine stripping
It's primarily to measure the bore & stroke, so head off, but if they wish to look at something else which they feel could be relevant they can obviously ask for other parts to be stripped too.

You have the option to have the motor sealed if you are using it in a later race, but I'm guessing most of the top teams use a motor per race so will choose to strip it after the race as they are changing it anyway.

There is obviously a cost to this, but that has to be covered by the rider/team, unless the strip down is due to a protest which is subsequently found to be unfounded, in which case (I think) the cost is then down to the person who lodged the protest by means of the protest fee.
11-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
(11-06-2016, 09:56 PM)Thanks Wrote: It's primarily to measure the bore & stroke, so head off, but if they wish to look at something else which they feel could be relevant they can obviously ask for other parts to be stripped too.

You have the option to have the motor sealed if you are using it in a later race, but I'm guessing most of the top teams use a motor per race so will choose to strip it after the race as they are changing it anyway.

There is obviously a cost to this, but that has to be covered by the rider/team, unless the strip down is due to a protest which is subsequently found to be unfounded, in which case (I think) the cost is then down to the person who lodged the protest by means of the protest fee.
11-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
My experience is from The Manx with a win and podium finishes from our late rider Neil "Kenty" Kent, bore and stroke were checked - a lot easier on a lovely little 2-poke 250 and being a purpose made racing engine other than cc there was nothing else to check for, not knowing enough to comment defo on the internal spec rules on a Supersport 600 I don't know how far down they take the motor unless they are looking for specific components and what spec apart from bore/stroke the internals - rods, crank, valves, pistons. rings etc have to be, just taking the rocker cover off would be enough to see(black) coated buckets/followers whether you were looking for them or not.
11-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Find Reply
nc30 fatboy Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Having been lucky enough to have the engines of my bikes stripped twice .They measure both Bore and Stroke so its Cams out Head off it then cost you head gaskets ect out of your own pocket and less time spent in Beer tent . The fuel tank was also checked .
12-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Find Reply