COSTELLO ULTIMATELY HITS THE MARK AT MCE ULSTER GRAND PRIX
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
COSTELLO ULTIMATELY HITS THE MARK AT MCE ULSTER GRAND PRIX
[Image: mariacostelloracinghdr2013.jpg]

Maria Costello MBE overcame adversity to claim a stunning ninth-place finish at the MCE Ulster Grand Prix.

The Northamptonshire racer suffered several setbacks in the build-up to her appearance at the home of the world’s fastest road race, including her race truck breaking down, her ferry having a similar problem and arriving at Dundrod 30 hours later than planned, only to suffer a broken steering damper on her BMW Motorrad UK S 1000 RR in Superstock qualifying.

After missing out on qualifying, the steering damper issues and a lack of dry track time, Costello was hoping for more luck in the Supertwin class, competing on her NGK Spark Plugs Kawasaki ER6 ‘Pizza Race Bike’.

A wet track again caused average lap speeds to be significantly reduced and in a field of over 40 Supertwin racers Maria qualified in 22nd place.

Saturday brought dry conditions and despite the fact that she'd only had limited bike time on the BMW, she enjoyed the Superstock race, practically matching her PB lap time in the process.

[Image: mariacatugp1.jpg]
Maria on her way to 9th place in the MCE Ulster Grand Prix Supertwins race.
By Tommy Vennard Photography

It was in the Supertwins race where she hoped to achieve more and Maria put in a blistering start from the second row of the second wave of riders in the five-lap Maxwell Freight Services Supertwin race.

After a stunning opening lap of 107.105mph, Costello found herself 11th in the overall standings. Upping the pace on the second lap, she extended the gap over those in her wake before setting her fastest on the third lap – a sub four-minute lap averaging 111.439 mph as she rose to ninth in the overall standings.

Costello completed the remaining two laps at a similar pace to secure ninth, one off from her best ever finish at the Ulster Grand Prix.

A delighted Costello said: 

“I’m thrilled with ninth, and to complete two laps under my previous PB lap time on this bike is super rewarding as I was riding alone for most of it. It’s a decent reward for what has felt like a tough UGP. I won’t deny that I need more time on the BMW, but I’m confident that with a new plan in place for 2017 I can and will go faster. Now it’s time to regroup and come back stronger next year.”

“It’s been a fantastic Ulster Grand Prix for women racers. Seeing more of them compete here is a big plus for the sport & the event. Congratulations to them all on their brilliant performances, especially Veronika Hankocyová who impressed with her 10th place in the Supertwins, Patricia Fernandez on setting a new female lap record, Melissa Kennedy on her well deserved top-six finish, Yvonne Montgomery on her 18th place & Sarah Boyes on her debut here. I’m proud to be riding with such amazing women racers.”

“There are many people that I need to thank for making this event possible, my incredible sponsors, some of whom have been with me since I started 20 years ago, to all of my team led by my right hand man Kev Corbally & special thanks to Tim & Jane, David, Eddie, Christine, Sally, Noel & his team, GoPro, Motorcycle Valet NI, Kurt at BMW Motorrad & to Liam Beckett & Glenn Irwin Racing for some craic in the BBC radio commentary box!”

Maria is now on the Isle of Man to participate in the Classic TT. Once again riding the beautiful Paton for Beugger Racing from Switzerland and the Bob Jackson Racing Suzuki T20. She is understandably excited about competing again around the TT course: 

“Classic motorcycle racing has been a huge part of my career in these latter years and this event has to be the pinnacle, as nothing compares to racing a motorcycle around the TT course.”

[Image: mariacatugp2.jpg]
Image by Adrian Craig

For more details on Maria’s racing and other activities, including upcoming events, her women only track days and opportunities to support her racing efforts, please visit her website here.

If you're female and want to be part of Maria's 'Woman on a Motorcycle' Facebook group you can join here.

2016 Sponsors: The European Shoe Machinery Company Ltd, NGK Spark Plugs, BMW Motorrad UK, Kawasaki UK Ltd, Wollaston BMW, Nova Racing, Rock Oil, Metzeler Tyres, Arai, Knox, Hel Performance, Wilbers, Vmtek Suspension, Jap4Performance, CPL Print Ltd, Premier Bodyworks, Hol-Taj, Radicool, EBC Brakes, Signs2Wraps, GBRacing, Racebikebitz - Samco hoses, Pro-Bolt, Daytona Boots, Pipercross, Isle of Man TT Breaks, Wet Paint Ltd, Christian Baker, DnG, Trilogy Gyms, Bespoke Injury Management, Progrips, Promach, Skidmarx, The Joseph’s Experience, Towergate Insurance, http://www.hellomarket.co.uk, Complog Performance, IM1 Car Centre, Raceprint Artwork & Design, Ymark Paintwork, Sparkes Management Support, Motorcycle Valet NI, CHI Fire Solutions Ltd, Wiz, Stomp Grip & SKINS.
20-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Website Find Reply