MANX GRAND PRIX 2ND BEST
Skids Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
MANX GRAND PRIX 2ND BEST
I really don't like the way the Manx  Grand Prix is getting pushed out. As an ex MGP rider I have very special memories of the best 2 weeks of the year . We rolled up in an old bone shaker of a van, just like the majority of  other riders, and for that next 2 weeks we were  one big happy family, we all mucked in and helped each other, the  way it's gone now is so different it's like a mini T T
24-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
RE: MANX GRAND PRIX 2ND BEST
Totally agree, I have posted similarly in past but unfortunately we seem to be in the minority.
25-08-2016, 07:59 AM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
Me too, I also have complained here and to the IOM Gov ( and much good it did me), but the MGP and the clubmen/women are being pushed out of what I always felt was the best club event of the year. Big bucks are spent on expensive replicas and presumably expensive TT stars to race them. There seems to be barely a nod to heritage, and while replica MVs sound marvellous, do we really want a re-run of the hollow victories of the Ago years? Is just winning all the TT stars want from MGP time?

I've said it on here before, so forgive me for repeating myself, IOMG want the MGP to wither on the vine, so they can cram the island over Bank Holiday and trouser a lot of money, in the shortest possible time, then bid the fickle so-called fans among the enthusiasts farewell until TT time next year, when they will again be invited to empty their wallets.
Fortunately, the club racers still apply, in large numbers, to race, so taking away from IOMG one possible excuse for killing the MGP outright.
26-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
times change the bikes in the old manx were getting thin on the ground
yes id love to see a full field of old classic bikes but the manx takes it out of them
the classic tt is generating interest
yes somew are upset and some dont like change but the classic tt is proving popular so there fore its off more general interest
you cant please everyone
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
26-08-2016, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
True, true.  I'm afraid I've taken the thread sideways a bit, as the topic is MGP being sidelined - personally , I blame the gubmint IOMG that is
(This post was last modified: 26-08-2016, 07:44 PM by Malcolm.)
26-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Think Scaramanga is missing the point on this with the quote "bikes in the old Manx were getting thin on the ground" as the weapon of choice in the MGP are modern 600 Supersport bikes (including 675 Triumphs)
27-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Fancy that....

The 2nd best part of the FOM just produced the best race of the meeting so far. Looks like another highly promising crop of new riders coming through. Especially pleasing to see riders from overseas doing so well.
29-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Website Find Reply
civ Offline

Threads: 3
The radio coverage all through practice week always included the MGP when they mentioned the event as a whole. e.g "The Isle of Man Festival of Motorcycling, Classic TT & Manx Grand Prix". If "the powers that be" wanted rid of the event, they could do it much quicker than ignoring it until it went away.

The Classic TT brings in the big names, which gets visitors on to the island, which may ultimately be the thing that keeps the MGP going, not the other way around.
29-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
Nobody wants to see the Manx play second fiddle to anyone but as I understud that it was costing the iom government £330,000 to run it  and when they decided to stop this cash it was in trouble so somebody had to come up with a solution to help hence the classic festival was born,does it matter who or where the money comes from as long as there is racing on the TT course so come on lads lets all pull together and enjoy what we have got after all we are all  TT and Manx Gp enthusiasts .
30-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(27-08-2016, 12:57 PM)DBD 34 Wrote: Think Scaramanga is missing the point on this with the quote "bikes in the old Manx were getting thin on the ground" as the weapon of choice in the MGP are modern 600 Supersport bikes (including 675 Triumphs)

yes i agree in that part i was comenting more on the older bikes and 2 strokes
i fully understand the importance off the newcomers race wich a friend off mine won a few years ago
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
30-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Find Reply
Trident Offline

Threads: 0
(29-08-2016, 11:41 PM)civ Wrote: The Classic TT brings in the big names, which gets visitors on to the island, which may ultimately be the thing that keeps the MGP going, not the other way around.

Exactly.
30-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Find Reply