Guy Martin’s honest answers: I’m done with the TT,
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin’s honest answers: I’m done with the TT,
[Image: guyretires.jpg]

Guy Martin’s honest answers: 

I’m done with the TT, I’m doing the Burt Munro Challenge and I’m going for the motorbike record at the Nürburgring!

The up and down story of Guy Martin at the TT is now over and he isn’t going back – that’s according to the man himself.

Speaking out in a two-part interview held for Facebook, Guy has been answering questions put to him by fans and in the final answer he gave away his thoughts on whether or not he will ever make a return to racing on the roads at the Isle of Man and what’s coming up in his immediate future.

When asked by fan Wilson Smith about doing the same race again (one assumes this was aimed towards the TT although it was not explicitly said), Guy partly replied with the following:

“I’m still getting big TT teams, the biggest TT teams, offering me right deals to race, and it was tempting, but I’ve been there and I’ve done it. The only reason I thought about the offers for as long as I did was because I don’t want to regret not doing it.

“When I was lying on sofa with a broken back I knew I’d had enough. It’s all the same poo going on from year to year. I’ve done as well as I could as a hobby racer, to go faster I’d need to dedicate my whole life to it and I’m not willing to do that.”

Morebikes has already brought you news of Guy racing in New Zealand in the Burt Munro invitational hill climb challenge (you can read about that from when we reported it a month ago HERE) and now Guy has confirmed our story from August in which we told the world about the Lincolnshire man’s plans to break the outright lap record at the Nürburgring. You can read our story from back then HERE. Our story showed Guy out on a Triumph Daytona 675R in what was presumably a first foray at how close he would be to taking on a charge at the record.

Here’s what Guy said to confirm both of those articles:

“I have walked away and I’m racing on my own terms. My Martek is on its way to New Zealand and I’m racing it in a hill climb out there. I’m going to have a go at breaking the motorcycle lap record at the Nürburgring, then I might build a car to race at Pikes Peak and then do something else. I’ll do more flat tracking next year than I’ve done this year.”

[Image: morebikeslogo.jpg]
By MOREBIKES - 21/11/2016
22-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Website Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Guy Martin’s honest answers: I’m done with the TT,
Or maybe not.............
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
veefour Online

Well, Guy has always been known to change his mind & with respect who's to say he shouldn't. As this article was written last November obviously the offer from Honda did the trick. Personally I think he doesn't have anything to prove going back, but wish him well & with his determination who knows what he will achieve.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
18-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

I dont mind Guy at all, I certainly dont hero worship him like some, but I dont understand the haters either.
He brings a fresh and interesting perspective to the TT, and the fact that he wont toe the corporate line and tells the DED where to shove it,is a bonus.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
18-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

Threads: 28
I think Honda are just following the football teams precedent...bring in a big name to sell more shirts and merchandise and the team make a profit.
18-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

The road racing set up is no football team.
Even if Honda received every penny of profit all T Shirt etc that was sold ( they dont) it would not cover a fraction of the costs to put this team together

18-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
(18-01-2017, 04:30 PM)SeaCol Wrote: I think Honda are just following the football teams precedent...bring in a big name to sell more shirts and merchandise and the team make a profit.

Yes he`s a big name and will probably sell more merchandise for Honda but he`s no also ran . He is a top rate TT rider and with a bit more lady luck could get that elusive win.
I like Guy Martin and he`s good for the TT because he`s a character  and the crowd love/hate him.

Personally I would prefer it if he didn`t race.
18-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

Would prefer if Honda supported a young up and coming talented rider, need to look forward to the 2020's.
18-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
Personally, I would rather he did not race, and concentrated on his other projects.  If he has made his mind up, then good luck to him and I hope he does well.
18-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
ive got to say i like c iom tt's posts
honest with no attittude
more often you gat the guy haters or the full on hero worship defence mode

any rider that decides to ride or not ride the roads deserves respect for making there own mind up
riders who dont feel happy racing round thye roads shouldnt do it
theres a rider who lives not far from me who i fully expected to go on and be a tt great wasnt happy with the bike he had late 90's and was advised by a tt legend set off get you start money and park it down the road
as he was starting to make a name for himself he wouldnt do that ( so im told)
he came of around a third way round the coarse and suffered injuries that basicly ended his racing
he did make a return to the tt but found he didnt have the strength in his injured limbs to ride hard enough
real shame as he was a rider for the future
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
18-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Find Reply
veefour Online

(18-01-2017, 05:50 PM)SeaCol Wrote: Would prefer if Honda supported a young up and coming talented rider, need to look forward to the 2020's.

Fair enough, so in that respect would you say they should replace John McG as well !
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
18-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

No, would always go for youth plus experience. By the way I really like Guy Martin but this smacks of a publicity excercise on behalf of Honda.
(This post was last modified: 20-01-2017, 01:01 PM by Malcolm.)
18-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I got the Guy Martin book for Xmas and he was pretty emphatic in saying that he'd wasn't road racing again and it was quite a relief because he wasn't enjoying the lifestyle.  Seemed fair enough.  The book was very enjoyable btw.

He did say that if he did go back he'd need to do a full season of shorts to be on the pace, otherwise it wasn't worth doing.  So I'm wondering if he's going to have a real crack or take the route he has in recent years just doing a few low key meets plus the Internationals.  How serious is he?

From the Honda perspective - he's got the highest publicity value of anyone in the paddock so I think its a no brainer for them.  As a very broad analogy - one of the rugby league stars (Isreal Folau) over here signed for a season of Aussie rules with a bottom of the table club - he didn't play well but someone did a quick tally up of how much press coverage he got and correlated it with advertising space - he was worth about 4 times what they payed him.  Guy will be much the same I think.

Not sure about any comparisons with Mark Flynn .............. Mark was up and coming and trying to get a decent ride. Guy is well past that stage - he can get any ride he wants I'd think.

Personally I think he's been a breath of fresh air to the sport.  But I don't think he should come back.  That said - if he makes it to the TT then I hope he manages to bag a win. 

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
19-01-2017, 12:37 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

(18-01-2017, 05:50 PM)SeaCol Wrote: Would prefer if Honda supported a young up and coming talented rider, need to look forward to the 2020's.

They tried that with Connor, and it didnt work

19-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

Think that is a bit unfair. Conor had some decent results on what was an inferior bike and I seem to remember a couple of bike failures. Suspect Guy's bike will be so loaded down with cameras and recording equipment for some future documentary it will struggle to get round.
(This post was last modified: 19-01-2017, 12:16 PM by Malcolm.)
19-01-2017, 12:08 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

No
Its factual. Factory bike, poor ( not decent) results = P45
Your last comment is daft. A GoPro weighs about 150 grams. Even if he had 10 of them fitted ( not a chance) it would still be only 1.5kg. A TT bike is not about the lightest BSB/WSB weight, qiute the opposite.

(This post was last modified: 19-01-2017, 05:24 PM by Malcolm.)
19-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

Threads: 4
Love or hate the man I personally have respect for anyone who starts the TT, MGP, and Classic. Guy's on bike commitment is second to none lapping at 132+ is amazing, he might help bring more publicity to the brand but he is a proven front runner also. I'm not a fan of the whole flying a ballon bike contraption and all of that stuff but on a motorcycle on the roads he is a talent its great to see him back.
19-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Guy Martin's return is great news. He's a top class rider and has all the road racing credentials anyone could ask for. Yes, a TT win isn't one of them, yet, but I really hope he does win and even if he doesn't all credit to him for trying. I've shunned the TT virtually since it lost GP status and concentrated on the Manx but I'm thinking of going this year (to watch). I'll definitely be at the Southern 100 though. I can't wait!!
19-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
SeaCol Offline

C IOM TT..
How can 'poor results' be 'factual', surely 'poor' is a subjective view. I seem to recollect Conor was very close to John McGuinnes in some races and beat  him in Macau.

Cameras on Guy's bike .......IRONY not 'daft'.
19-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Connor results at the TT on the factory Honda have been poor by even Conors standards, thats not subjective, its a FACT.
You analogy that Guys bikes would be loaded up with cameras that much that he would 'strugle to get around' was beyond daft.
I was being polite using the word daft.

(This post was last modified: 19-01-2017, 10:14 PM by Malcolm.)
19-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Find Reply