MARIA'S BEST YEAR YET
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MARIA'S BEST YEAR YET
[Image: mariaxmaspost.jpg]

Maria Costello has reflected on 2016 as her best year yet, and gave a big thank-you to her loyal fans, sponsors and supporters.

The Northamptonshire racer recorded a string of successes during a sensational year that culminated in her sharing the podium at the Isle of Man with motorcycle legend John McGuinness.

Costello started the year with podium finishes at the Barry Sheene Festival of Speed in Australia on the Beugger Racing Paton.

The shakedown event for her and her Supertwin race bike resulted in an excellent 11th place finish at the Cookstown 100.

Another 11th and a 13th place finish followed on her Supertwin at the Northwest 200, where she became the fastest woman to lap the course on her BMW S 1000 RR Sport. Making Maria the only woman to have held the female lap record at all three International Road Races.

She claimed her best finish at the Isle of Man TT when she rode to a stunning 12thplace in the Lightweight TT, that felt even more rewarding as it was on her home-built Kawasaki ER6 Supertwin.

The year continued to sparkle as Costello clawed back over twelve places to claim ninth in the International Ulster Grand Prix Supertwins race and then came the crowning glory at the Isle of Man Classic TT.

Her short circuit racing in Australia earlier in the year paid off as her first lap on the Beugger Racing Paton was a personal best. Moved up from number 17 to start sixth in the race, Costello claimed a podium place alongside McGuinness and then went on to win the Classic 250 class. 

She wrapped up her year by fulfilling a longtime ambition by making her sidecar racing debut on a DDM F2 at Cadwell Park and now has her sights set on competing on three wheels.

Aside from the racing Maria also did two sell out 'woman only' trackdays with BMW Motorrad UK, mentored at the European Junior Cup, supporting the D2BD Susie Wolff initiative and became an RAC Club Torrens Trophy committee member.

Costello said: 

“2016 has been my best year yet and I want to thank everybody for their support in helping me achieve some of the greatest highlights of my racing career. Getting to stand on the podium alongside John McGuinness at the Isle of Man was the highlight of my career so far and, although my win in the Classic 250 wasn't recognised with a podium, I’m sure the story where I stalled the bike and lost four minutes at the start but still won the race on Bob Jackson Racing Suzuki T20 will have stuck in people's minds. I know I will never forget how great it was to finally finish that race as a winner!”

“I can’t thank all at BMW Group Classic and Richard Wyldes enough for allowing me to take his BMW R 51 around the TT course on the lap or honour. And for all the other amazing BMW motorcycles I have ridden at the Festival of Speed, the Goodwood Revival, Glemseck 101 and in Austria in Schwanenstadt.”

Costello is already looking forward to the new year, and said of her Kawasaki ER6: “The addition of the Nova gearbox played a part in my TT achievement and I’m already working on new modifications with SB Tuning and Jap4Performance to aim even higher in 2017.

“2016 has been an amazing year for me, and some exciting new plans and challenges are being discussed to make 2017 even better. Now I’d like to send out my most heart felt thanks to those who made this season possible and so special and to wish everybody a merry Christmas and a happy new year.”

To watch the recent footage of Maria testing an F1 sidecar, check out the Bike World TV coverage here.

All updates can be found here.

Buy a signed Maria Costello MBE 2017 Calendar, here.

Information about the Susie Wolff Dare to be Different initiative can be found here.

29-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Website Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
RE: MARIA'S BEST YEAR YET
Not much mention of her crash at Cadwell Park on her first sidecar outing
30-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Find Reply