Team ILR link up with Team Sandown
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Team ILR link up with Team Sandown
[Image: lougherplainlogo.jpg]

Team ILR will renew their working relationship with Team Sandown in the 2017 Pirelli National Superstock 600 Championship paddock, a partnership that came close to taking the title last year.

Team Sandown will run Dundrod's Robert Kennedy in the series on a new Kawasaki ZX-6R, with Team ILR owner/manager Ian Lougher once again on hand to set up suspension, mentor and advise Kennedy, as well as assisting in pit-lane and on the grid.

In addition to this he will again make the Team ILR awning available as a base for the ambitious Northern Ireland team.

A front runner in the Irish 600 Supersport Championship for the past couple of seasons, Kennedy will take in a full season in what is a new and exciting challenge for him. 

A mechanic by trade, Robert started off in schoolboy motocross, where he progressed to a high level before turning his attention to short circuit racing in 2009.

In 2015 he competed at the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod, and on what is essentially his home circuit, he scored two brilliant Top 10 places in the Supersport class on his RK Racing Yamaha R6 with an average speed of 125mph. 

It's this type of promise that has drawn him to the attention of Team Sandown who believe that Robert has shown his racing pedigree and is ready to challenge in the ultra-competitive Superstock 600 series, a support class of the British Superbike Championship.

Robert took in a couple of British Championship meetings last year, just to test the water, and he sees the high standard of racing as something that can only serve to make him a better rider, and he cannot wait for the season to start.

Team ILR owner/manager Ian Lougher:

"I am really looking forward to working with Robert Kennedy (RK) this season and continuing Team ILR's collaboration with Team Sandown.
Robert had a few BSB outings in the Supersport category last year where I helped him with his machine set-up, and he showed me he had the ability and determination to produce some decent results.

Joining the Superstock 600 class I believe he could be a dark horse once he learns the circuits."

[Image: robertkennedywithILR.jpg]
Pictures by Baylon McCaughey

Robert Kennedy: 

"I am so thankful for this opportunity to prove to myself that I can race with the top riders in the UK. And whilst I am under no illusions as to the challenge and big learning curve ahead, nevertheless I cannot wait to get the season underway.

I am also very much looking forward to working with and learning from Ian Lougher, to say I am excited is an understatement.

This wouldn’t be possible without Team Sandown and my sponsors, without whom I would not be able to realise a dream."

Team Sandown: 

"We're really looking forward to getting the season underway, and once again working with Ian and his team. We enjoyed our time together last year and we're sure this season will be no different.

A big thanks to all the team sponsors that made this
happen."

[Image: teamsandown.jpg]

28-02-2017, 11:24 AM
Website Find Reply