Riders do laps of the 37.73-mile course for Manx GP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Riders do laps of the 37.73-mile course for Manx GP
[Image: mgplogo.jpg]

Fog, driving rain and air operator CityWing going into liquidation made for a memorable visit for the first batch of this year’s aspiring Manx Grand Prix newcomers.

Race organisers the Manx Motor Cycle Club welcomed a total of 21 newcomers to the weekend session which saw them paired up with experienced competitors to do laps in the minibus and gain valuable insight into competing over the 37.73-mile course.

Former TT winner and now MGP supertwins competitor Nick Jefferies was among the tutors, along with Ireland’s Davy Morgan and island-based John Batty.

With eight of the contingent hailing from Spain, Holland and Italy, it reflected the increasingly international flavour of the event and the Newcomers’ familiarisation session is now a stipulated requirement of all new riders.

Club chairman, Harvey Garton, welcomed the visitors.

’We are sorry about the weather, but at least it gives you an impression of what the course is like when the conditions are less than perfect,’ he said.

’The key is to make haste slowly, particularly in the first two sessions because those statistically are the ones where you are most at risk. Take a relaxed approach and your times will come.’

The visitors were also welcomed by clerk of the course Gary Thompson and, on behalf of the Hailwood Foundation, which supports the newcomers’ visits, Adrian Earnshaw.

Senior scrutineer Peter Maddox also offered the visitors some hints on machine preparation.

From the Czech republic, 32-year-old Veronika Hancoyova intends to race her 650 Supertwin and a 600. It’s not her first visit and she’s well placed to get some extra tips from her fiance, regular TT competitor Michal Dokoupil.

’I’ve been here seven times before as a mechanic, so I know about it from the other side,’ she said.

She has already had some success in Ireland coming 10th in the Ulster Grand Prix Supertwins race.

’Now I want to take a further step up so I’m really looking forward to that first time down Bray Hill.’

Maurizio Bottalico is a 35-year-old motorcycle instructor from Naples. He hopes to ride an R6 Yamaha.

’The course is fantastic and I’m very happy to come and see it,’ he said.

IT consultant Daryl Doerlich is 28 and on his first visit to the Isle of Man from southern Germany.

’It’s been a great trip, despite the fog. I hope to come back in good weather,’ he said.

[Image: iomtoday2017.jpg]
John Turner
(This post was last modified: 17-03-2017, 11:25 AM by Malcolm.)
17-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Website Find Reply