Major update for iconic Hillberry Grandstand
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Major update for iconic Hillberry Grandstand
[Image: pressreleasehdr.jpg]

Local motorsport company Duke Marketing has stepped in to preserve one of the most iconic viewing spots at the TT Races and Festival of Motorcycling.

A grandstand has been in place at Hillberry since the early post-War years but the continuation of the facility was threatened this year as the aging structure was found to have become unsafe. The landowner, in conjunction with Duke, was keen to continue to provide viewing facilities for the hundreds of spectators who flock to the site to watch the races at the thrilling location each year.

Peter Duke, MD, Duke Marketing, commented:

“We are pleased to be able to maintain a spectator area at one of the most iconic and accessible locations on the TT course and are planning an enhanced visitor experience which will include a covered grandstand with proper seats, advance booking of reserved space, as well as improved toilet facilities, on-site comprehensive catering, free WiFi and parking.”

As part of the upgrade the old grandstand, which would have had to be completely rebuilt to achieve a safety certificate, has been removed and the mobile grandstand owned by the Southern 100 club will be installed from the Tuesday of practice week throughout race week.

[Image: hillberrygstandnew.jpg]
Above: The temporary grandstand that will replace the current structure.

The grandstand will give an uninterrupted view all the way from the left hand corner at Brandish, through the 140 mph right-hander at Hillberry. Most fans will also be able to see competitors taking Kate’s Cottage over a mile away on the Mountain.

For those who prefer to be a little closer to road level there will also be seating available alongside the grandstand on specially levelled and tiered ground giving a great view of the action.

The grandstand now becomes the fourth official temporary grandstand along with the two at Noble’s Park and at the Creg-Ny-Baa.

Tickets, which are available here, are priced from £3 (qualifying) to £30 (Superbike and Senior race-days.)
25-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Website Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Major update for iconic Hillberry Grandstand
So does anyone know if there is any free spectating areas actually left at Hillberry now !
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
25-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I watched for free from Hillberry in practice week last year from behind the wall on the left as they approach the bend. There was an existing scaffold and plank grandstand in place then for which the landowner made a charge. Behind the wall remained free. Obviously I can't comment on if this will change for 2017.

We arrived before roads closed and walked along the road past the grandstand then jumped over the wall and found our spot. If you arrive after roads close you would probably have to go through the landowners entrance behind the grandstand and may have to pay a charge.

A handful of people watched from behind the wall on the other side of the road - they arrived during the session but I'm not sure where they had walked from.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
27-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Find Reply
Huuschtert Offline

Threads: 5
Good question veefour, are there still free areas to watch for free?
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2017, 09:00 AM by Malcolm.)
28-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Find Reply
Fizzy Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
(25-03-2017, 07:23 PM)veefour Wrote: So does anyone know if there is any free spectating areas actually left at Hillberry now !

There's still space on the hedges around there. There's been a grandstand at this sport since just after the war so it's not a new rip off opportunity. First place I watched the TT from was on the wall at Cronk-Ny-Mona.
08-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
At the side of the grandstand looking up to the creg there a small stream this marks the boundary so it's free from there on up. Watched from there a few times think I paid £10 last year to watch the senor. Wich I thought was responsible. I won't be paying the new prices tho.
08-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

(08-05-2017, 10:15 AM)Fizzy Wrote: There's still space on the hedges around there. There's been a grandstand at this sport since just after the war so it's not a new rip off opportunity. First place I watched the TT from was on the wall at Cronk-Ny-Mona.

Yes I am aware of this having been in the old stand myself. Having been to the TT, Manx, ( & Southern 100 ) many times ( since 1967 actually ), I know of many areas to watch from although many of my favourites are getting scarcer unfortunately. I cannot help wondering though if this will become another Fanzone like the ones at Ballacrye & Rhencullen etc. & still think the powers that be are trying to attract the more corporate type visitors though rather than us grass root hedgerow spectators.
08-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

£30.00!!
I have just come back from holiday yesterday. Whist waiting to board the plane at Malaga, a guy asked me if 'I was going this year'
I quickly remembered that I was wearing a TT Tshirt, and answered that I was going Thursday practice week, and back Saturday after the Senior.
When I returned the question to him, I got, ' Friday for the race. To be honest, I dont like bikes, but Its a good pi*s up, watching from the Creg'
He seemed like a nice enough bloke, but I fear that this is the new breed of visitor that the DED are so keen to attract and are happy to pay £30.00 to sit in these grandstands.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
10-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

It wouldn't surprise me if they put a roof on the start line grandstand soon & hired Cliff Richard to lead the sing song on rainy days smilie.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM by Malcolm.)
10-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
Is that chap from Hill berry still allowing people to sit in front of his fence for donations to a local charity? That was an excellent place last year.
I know 1 of the marshalls said organisers were trying to stop it which would be a great shame. You can't sanitise and make everything 100% safe. Life is a risk.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

14-05-2017, 07:41 AM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
*Hillberry* wretched autocorrect 😕
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

14-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Online
Administrator

Threads: 13
My Dad knows him very well and I usually meet him also in garden on Bray Hill, he is a big race/bike fan and is more than happy for people to use the garden at Hillberry and leave a donation, please don't use the little area of his garden that he has fenced off for his own viewing use as he was left quite badly disabled after an accident that was no fault of his.
(This post was last modified: 14-05-2017, 09:51 AM by Malcolm.)
14-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Find Reply