Ramsey couple banned from watching TT in front garden
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ramsey couple banned from watching TT in front garden
[Image: albert-terraceban.jpg]
Rachel and Rob Gilbert from 1 Albert Terrace Ramsey who have been told
they cannot watch the T.T.races from their front garden.

A Ramsey couple claim they have been banned from their front garden during TT.

Rob and Rachel Gilbert have received a letter from the Department of Infrastructure saying that, after an assessment by the Auto Cycle Union (ACU), their front garden at 1 Albert Terrace is on a prohibited list for both the TT and Festival of Motorcycling, as it is too dangerous for spectators.

In previous years the occupiers of the property, which is owned by Ramsey Commissioners, have been able to refuse permission for their garden to be prohibited by making an objection. But new legislation brought in last year means that the commissioners must also now make an objection, which they have refused to do.

Mrs Gilbert told the Examiner: 

’It’s just petty. We can’t even open the front door to watch the races.

’The people next door can watch from their garden and it’s only a step over the fence. Everyone else on the terrace can watch.

’Last year and the year before, if we objected to it we were allowed to watch, but this year we have been told unless Ramsey Commissioners object to it as well, there is nothing we can do, and they haven’t objected.

’We even took out our own public liability insurance to insure people standing in the garden and got people to sign a disclaimer saying they were watching from the garden at their own risk.’

At the latest Ramsey Commissioners’ meeting commissioner Wilf Young said it was unfair to the tenants. Fellow commissioner Pat Ayres went further, suggesting that they receive compensation. But this was not supported by the rest of the board who agreed that the prohibition order should be implemented.

Clerk of the Course Gary Thompson from ACU Events Limited told the Examiner: 

’It has been deemed a prohibited area, as with other locations. We have deemed it too dangerous for spectators or marshals to stand in that area.

’In terms of insurance cover, their property is still covered but if they stand there watching and anyone became injured then they may find it hard to make any personal injury claim against the ACU’s insurers.’

The ACU carries out a risk assessment of the course and identifies areas which should be classed as prohibited areas on safety grounds.

A DoI spokesman said the department could not go against the advice of the ACU.

He said:

’The Department of Infrastructure is acting on the instructions of the event organiser, ACU Events Ltd.

’As part of its risk assessment of the mountain course, ACU Events has proposed that the frontage to 1 Albert Terrace in Ramsey become a prohibited area in the interests of public safety.

’Under the provisions of the Road Races Act 2016, the landowner and occupier both have to notify the Department of an objection in order to prevent the creation of a prohibited area.

’In this case, the occupiers of the property have objected to the proposal, but the landowner - Ramsey Town Commissioners - has not.

’In the absence of an objection from the landowner, the Department will seek to act on the instructions of the event organiser to make the frontage of 1 Albert Terrace a prohibited area.’

A spokesman for Ramsey Town Commissioners said: 

’We have written to advise the occupiers that they may be able to reach agreement with the ACU as to an appropriate level of protection to remove the need to make the area prohibited and allow it to be accessed during road closures associated with the TT and MGP events, should they wish to do so.’

But Mrs Gilbert said: 

’It’s something we’ve been fighting since 2013 when we moved in.

We’re right next door to Ray Motors and 20 years ago a sidecar hit the wall and some of it ended up in what is now our garden but some of it went into next door’s as well.

’We’ve been told an assessment has been done but we haven’t had anyone come round.

’I’m not a fan of the racing myself but my husband is and the kids like watching it.

’We have friends and family who come round. We used to get strangers coming in to watch.

’It’s not going to be the same watching from the front window. It’s not worth bothering.’

[Image: iomtoday2017.jpg]
By Alan Vincent and Sue Woolley
29-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Website Find Reply
ericcane Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 7
RE: Ramsey couple banned from watching TT in front garden
I suppose if the worst comes to the worst,they could always go to the new grandstand at Hillberry and pay 30 quid each for the privilege. Confused
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2017, 07:21 PM by ericcane.)
29-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
I would be asking for a rebate on my rent as I am not able to enjoy my front garden for 4 weeks of the year. i wonder what the commissioners would have to say about that at the next meeting.
30-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
I'd just be standing in the garden regardless .. do what you like to me but i'm watchin' the bikes. So there
30-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Find Reply
Nev14 Offline

Threads: 1
If someone is standing in a prohibited area and refuses to move it could result in arrest or even Hal.ting the races.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2017, 07:32 PM by Malcolm.)
30-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
Then so be it If it was me I would be arrested or the races would be halted. it will be because of incidents like this that will help to kill the races, when you lose the support of the locals and these people are local you are on the slippery slope. it might help if the organisers gave them some grandstand tickets as compensation.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2017, 07:33 PM by Malcolm.)
30-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Find Reply