RANSOM HACK Situation - UPDATE
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RANSOM HACK Situation - UPDATE
I would ask all of you to please refrain from placing any Hyperlinks to Outside Websites etc, within any of your posts on the forum until such time as it is clear that the RANSOM VIRUS/HACK situation is under control, and has been cleared up.

Many Thanks

Malcolm
(This post was last modified: 20-05-2017, 03:21 PM by Malcolm.)
13-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: RANSOM HACK Situation - UPDATE
So, after 1 week of vigilance and extended time spent on deleting all suspect intrusions into the Forum, I think we may be able to say that the ban on Outside Links in your posts can be lifted.

However, please don't take this as a free for all for you to load every post with links to outside web sources, as the threat of a Virus being downloaded from ANY outside link IS STILL a threat.

The general T&C's request that you do not use Outside Website / Source Links in your posts, because of the threat not only to this Forum, but also to your own equipment.

If you really do want to direct people to an Outside Source via your post, far better that you write it out in plain text or provide a description and let people do their own search for it via their chosen Search Engine.

(The Forum is still receiving lots of Forum Registration Applications from the Middle East and S.E. Asia  on a daily basis, that are all checked out with 99% of them being proven to be extremely suspect).

Cheers,

Malcolm
20-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Website Find Reply
RedlineRick Offline
Cotton Top

Threads: 1
RE: RANSOM HACK Situation - UPDATE
"lots of Forum Registration Applications"

Yea that happened the other forum in it's final days. I saw a steady flow of new members from about 6 thousand to suddenly seems like 10 thousand.  You could look at the members list and see the growth even after the forum was locked, it appears that it stopped at 60 thousand plus members.  I suspect that the forum server was infected with a self replicating bot.
"A few yrs ago they screwed up a perfectly good working website just because they want to be 'modern' and now we have a sluggish ugly problematic and feature lacking website. but hey, its modern..., old sites are always better".
24-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Find Reply