HICKMAN STORMS TO DEBUT TT PODIUM
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
HICKMAN STORMS TO DEBUT TT PODIUM
[Image: hickysuperbikepodium.jpg]

Smiths Racing BMW got their 2017 Isle of Man TT Races campaign off to a great start with Peter Hickman claiming a brilliant second place in the six-lap RST Superbike TT race.

Competing in his fourth TT, the Louth-based rider had closed to within 1.6s of race leader Ian Hutchinson on the final lap and although Hutchinson called upon all his experience to edge away, eventually winning by 5.1s, Hickman took his maiden TT podium.   Conditions during practice week had seen a number of sessions around the 37.73-mile Mountain Course cancelled and all riders came into the six-lap race with limited track time. The Superbike TT race was subsequently put back 24 hours to allow everyone extra practice time yesterday and so eventually got underway at 2pm today.   A solid opening lap of 130.304mph on the Smiths BMW S1000RR put Peter into fifth place but race leader Michael Dunlop retired on the second lap and with Hicky overhauling Hutchinson, he was up to third at the end of lap two, which saw the first of the pit stops.

Holding onto third place at half race distance, a lap of 129.903mph fourth time around saw the 30 year old move up to second and he was only 4.1s adrift of new race leader Hutchinson.   Going into the final lap, the gap had increased to eight seconds but for the first two thirds of the lap, Peter ate into Hutchinson’s lead. As they swept through Ramsey for the sixth and final time, the difference between the two riders was just 1.6s and although he lapped at 131.103mph, Peter had to settle for second place after a scintillating race.

It was his best ever result at the TT, improving upon his fourth place in last year’s corresponding race, and having been well to the fore on the practice leaderboard in each class, the whole team are now looking forward to the rest of race week.

Peter Hickman: 

“I’m delighted with my first ever TT podium especially as I thought I should have had it in last year’s Senior race. I had no such problems this year and although I was a bit steady at the beginning of the race, I gradually got into it. The lack of practice has affected us all and we’re not lapping as quick as what we were doing last year and although I got to within two seconds of Hutchy, I knew how strong he’d be over the Mountain.  I got a little bit excited when I saw my pitboard saying how close it was and although I lost a bit of time at the pits, the last thing I want to do is get a penalty, and the boys did a mega job. The bike never missed a beat, the Dunlop tyres were great and the Ohlins suspension guys did a fantastic job so it’s a great start to the week.”

Rebecca Smith, Team Manager: 

“We’re over the moon with the result and it was a fantastic race to be part of. We’ve completely changed the bike since the North West 200 and a lot of work’s gone in to getting Pete where he is today so full credit to everyone involved. He rode a fantastic race and whilst we lost a bit of time at the pit stops to Hutchy, the boys did a great job at both pit stops to get him in and out as quickly as possible and we’re really looking forward to the rest of the week.”

[Image: smithsracinglogo.jpg]
08-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Website Find Reply