ANOTHER TT PODIUM FOR HICKMAN AND SMITHS
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
ANOTHER TT PODIUM FOR HICKMAN AND SMITHS
[Image: smithssupersportpodium.jpg]

Smiths Racing’s Peter Hickman made it two TT podiums in as many days when he finished third in the 4-lap Monster Energy Supersport race one, also setting the fastest lap of the race on the Smiths Racing Trooper Beer 675cc Triumph at 126.848mph.

Overnight rain had left the 37.73-mile Mountain Course damp in places and the race was delayed by over two hours, eventually getting underway just after 1pm, and just like yesterday’s Superbike race, Hickman made a steadier start compared to his rivals and he was back in seventh at the end of the first lap before gradually moving his way forward during the course of the race.   A second lap speed of 124.957mph saw the Louth-based rider jump up the order to fourth and close to within four seconds of third placed William Dunlop.

Indeed, with a great pit stop and a superb third lap, he was able to overhaul his Northern Irish rival with one lap to go.   With conditions improving all the time, the 30 year old kept the pressure on and with his fastest ever lap on a Supersport machine, he was able to hold onto third and pull away from Dunlop to secure his second TT podium.   With yesterday’s race winner Ian Hutchinson finishing in fifth, Peter is now tied with the Yorkshire rider at the top of the Joey Dunlop Championship on 36 points with three races still remaining this week.

Peter Hickman: 

“The weather wasn’t great overnight and I was more cautious than normal on the first lap, but as soon as I felt comfortable with the track, I had a real good go and everything went well. I’m not a Supersport rider and only started riding one in 2015, whilst I’ve also been trying to ride it like a 1000, which doesn’t work. I was paying note to the marshals’ flags in terms of the damp patches and once I was happy with where they were I got stuck in. The Triumph was working mega and I set my fastest ever Supersport lap on the last lap so getting a podium is a habit I want to keep. I figured if I could finish in the top six I’d be happy so third is brilliant.”

Rebecca Smith, Team Manager: 

“That’ll do nicely and full credit to Peter and the entire team. We’ve struggled a bit with the Triumph but it worked really well in the race and although he did his usual steady first lap, we knew he had it in him to move up the leaderboard. We had another faultless pit stop and once he was up into third, he kept pushing and it maintains our 100% record of finishing on the podium this week so roll on tomorrow.”

The next race, the 4-lap Superstock was scheduled for Tuesday but has been suspended due to weather. Peter will be back in action on the Smiths Racing BMW as soon as the weather allows.

[Image: smithsracinglogo.jpg]
08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Website Find Reply