TT practice week with kids
Neddyw Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
TT practice week with kids
Sorry if this is on the wrong board. I have finally got the chance to bring the boys to the TT's next year. I've seen the Southern 100's loads of times but never the TT. We're bringing the car so transport not a problem. Can anyone please tell me what's on during the day during practice week and where would be best to sit and watch the racing with the boys (they will be 11 and 13)? We need somewhere with toilets and an escape route incase they get really bored (kids have no staying power these days!)
Many thanks!
17-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: TT practice week with kids
In the day time you could take the up to Onchan stadium there a boat lake crazy golf not sure if the still have go carts. Evening practice. Grandstand goose neck always good. Park the car at laxy and get the tram up the mountain. Sulby bridge is good. Crock a voddie. You can get out of all these places . And they offer the luxury of a thunder box. Lots of other places. And the horse home good for a visit.
17-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Find Reply
Neddyw Offline
Just Getting Started

Thanks. I know there's loads to do on the island, just wondered if there was anything specially for the races during the day. Thanks again
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2017, 01:21 PM by Malcolm.)
17-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Not much in the day to do with the races . Just round the paddock area realy
17-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
pre tt classic on the Monday?  Otherwise its days on the beach and lots of ice cream, remember theres the 2 bike museums and the new transport one.
For evening practice - Gooseneck good but take the Hibernia backroad so you can escape, Bungalow via the sulby backroad so you can retreat to the Ginger both these allow you to hide in a warm car.   Railway at Union Mills and Braddan Church are good if weather iffy, but the best is probably Harolds wall at Gorselea- all have access during racing. Get some 100% DEET midge repelant! Unless its very bright I would avoid Glen Helen.
18-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
Union Mills Church is a good place to watch (nice big wall to hide behind) and it has toilets and food (my girls used to watch here while my wife and I marshalled there during the Manx). You can escape on the inside to watch from different places or take the access road out of the course. There were shows all over the place (came across one in Castletown). There is also a pretty well equipped play area in Nobles Park (down by the cafe) for them to mess around if the Paddock becomes too 'boring'.
18-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Find Reply
Lesq Offline

Ramsey would be good as there is Mooragh Park if the kids get bored, if you can bring push bikes too big prom to ride on and a bmx track

19-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Lesq beat me too it, we went to Ramsey when mine were young, shops, toilets etc all available, plus swimming and the park for golf, boating etc. watch from the square ( take some small steps to get e better view) or walk up to the hairpin - assuming they re open it for TT18
19-06-2017, 10:28 AM
Find Reply
Spadaman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Not sure that Union Mills is any good these days. I used to watch there in the 1980's and 90's and it was great as the ladies from the church made sandwiches, cakes, drinks etc and hired out chairs for the races. However, last year at the Classic TT I checked it out with a friend and found they placed 5 ft crash barriers against the wall so you had to stand up to see the bikes and you would need to be about 5ft 8in at least to see anything. So not very good for young kids - unless they are built like Connor Cummins!

If the weather is good the Bungalow is great as you can move about and watch at different places and the tram ride would add interest.

Nothing to do with the racing but a ride on a real steam train from Douglas to Castletown would (should) get you some brownie points.
19-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
My lad was 12 when I first took him in practice week. We spent the days doing the whole tourist thing - Laxey Wheel, Castle Rushen, Point of Ayre, Calf of Man, Port Erin, Horse Tram, Electric Railway to Bungalow, Manx Museum and transport museum at Jurby. We also spent some time on the beach when the weather was fine. Most days we visited the paddock.

Bungalow was a good place - space to move about for (a) a different view and (b) if they get bored they can wander up the mountain a bit. Only way out is on the electric railway though as the road goes across to Sulby.

Kirk Michael whitehouse park is good. £2 per chair in practice week (or bring your own for free) and plenty of refreshments and toilets. Field out the back again if they are bored to kick/throw a ball about or something. You are trapped though.

Conker Trees also had plenty of space to wander off if they get itchy feet but toilets and refreshments were not operating in practice week when we went there. Again no escape via a vehicle.

As mentioned above, if it's open next year inside Ramsey Hairpin is a good place although no toilets or refreshments. You can park up quite close and get away during the session if you need to. Gooseneck is similar although there are toilets there.

Avoid Ballaugh Bridge - plenty of refreshments and toilets but it's very crowded and when the roads close its a bit of a free for all so can be difficult for kids to get a decent view (even if you're there very early). Maybe from the Raven side of the road it's better.

Cronk-y-Voddy offers parking, refreshments and toilets and area to run about when not watching the racing. You can get out onto the Kirk Michael to Peel coast road during the session too.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
21-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
Forgot Ramsey! As well as Mooragh Park there's one at May Hill with stuff to play on and toilets so you can watch races and the kids can run around like mad. You can use the foot bridge (at least you can during the Manx) to move and watch from inside and outside the course. Sorry if my Union Mills info was duff we were there in 2015 - just shows how quickly things change ...
23-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
Conker Trees had loos open during practise last year. No catering though but we'd taken a picnic.
Ridiculous that some loos aren't open during practise week. Spectators have same toilet needs as race week.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

25-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Find Reply
TTNeb Offline

Threads: 4
Brandywell is good with space, loos and catering. Can walk to Bungalow plus access to inner road linking to Barregarrow, Cronk-y-Voddy, Ballaugh (The Raven side) or access road via Injebreck - an experience in itself.
Everything will be alright in the end. And if it's not alright, it's not yet the end.

25-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Find Reply