Yamaha Factory Racing Team End Suzuka Test Confident of Third Straight Victory
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Yamaha Factory Racing Team End Suzuka Test Confident of Third Straight Victory
[Image: yamahawsbhdr.jpg]

The Yamaha Factory Racing Team of Alex Lowes, Michael van der Mark and Katsuyuki Nakasuga ended the second official Suzuka 8 Hours three-day test third on the overall timesheets, happy with the work carried out and confident of being able to fight for their third victory in a row at the legendary endurance race. The YART Yamaha Official EWC Team and GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team also wrapped up a positive test with both teams in with a chance of being crowned the 2016/2017 FIM Endurance World Champions at the final round of the season on the 28th-30th July.

Kicking off on July 11th, the final three-day test for the Suzuka 8 Hours has come to a close. The Yamaha Factory Racing Team's Katsuyuki Nakasuga, Alex Lowes and Michael van der Mark took part and were joined on track by Broc Parkes, Marvin Fritz and Kohta Nozane of the YART Yamaha Official EWC Team (YART), and David Checa, Niccolò Canepa and Mike Di Meglio of the GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team.

The Suzuka 8 Hours will be the final round of the 2017 Endurance World Championship (EWC) season. GMT94 is currently 2nd in the standings, but trail the leader by just a single point while YART is 27 points down in 3rd. However, as the last race of the season, this year's Suzuka 8 Hours will yield 150% of the normal points haul (45 instead of 30 for a win), so a come-from-behind title win is potentially in the cards for both teams.

Almost all of the teams competing full-time in the EWC were on-track at this final three-day test, save for a few. All the teams in both groups A and B had a total of 530 minutes of testing time - including the night session - so they were all able to be on track for longer than it takes to run the race (480 minutes).

The Yamaha Factory Racing Team focused on using the data collected at the private test at the end of June to find the best setup and riding position for all three riders. With the riding position in particular, Nakasuga and Lowes are similar in their physical build, but van der Mark is considerably taller and thus has longer arms and legs. For that reason, the handlebars had to be adjusted to a wider position but one that the three could be satisfied with, something of utmost importance during this test.

Michael van der Mark spoke about the issue: "Basically, the riding position had to be adjusted because of me, so I was worried whether the other two would be able to ride well or not. But they both said they had no issues with it, so I'm relieved." The team had finished making the needed adjustments on Day 1.

The plan for Day 2 was to do some race stint simulations, but just before the afternoon sessions were set to start the skies opened up, soaking the track and making for fully wet conditions. The team quickly changed tactics, opting instead to gather data to be prepared in case of a wet main event.

Day 3 was reserved for making the final overall adjustments to be ready for the race weekend. In the morning session, Nakasuga was tasked with doing a machine check and pushing for a fast time on new tires, setting the 3rd fastest time of the test at 2:07.603. The 90-minute afternoon session saw Lowes and van der Mark do race stint simulations. Their average lap times were in the low 2:09s, demonstrating that the factory YZF-R1 is in good shape.

After the test, Nakasuga was full of fighting spirit: "Let's go get that third straight win! With our team, we can definitely do it." His teammates Lowes and van der Mark shared his determination to fight for another Yamaha victory this year.

YART improved their average times from the previous official test and showed solid progress, setting a best time of 2:08.861 that placed them 13th overall for the final test. Especially for first-time Suzuka rider Marvin Fritz, he learned as much as possible from his more experienced teammates and made considerable improvement. This helped raise the team's average pace overall, a vital factor for the race.

Kohta Nozane is expected to be the team's fastest rider for his home race. He worked together with Parkes on bike setup and put in the team's fastest lap, but remains unsatisfied. Up until now, every track he has ridden in the EWC has been new to him, so he has constantly needed the support of his teammates. But here, he intends to repay his team and teammates: "...because this race is in my home country and because it's the Suzuka 8 Hours." But Nozane now understands that an endurance race is contested by everyone on the team, and a point of focus in the race will be how he balances the "individual" and the "team" to get the best result.

The GMT94 team finished 33rd overall with a 2:10.882 lap time. For the final day of the test, they continued working on adapting to the circuit, selecting which tire to use in the race and improving their average lap time. Though their time does not stand out as exceptionally fast and they have not made explosive progress, they have done what they needed to do and at their own pace in order to close in on securing this season's EWC championship title.

The Suzuka 8 Hours testing schedule is now complete and now all Yamaha teams will prepare for the race, the final round of the 2016/2017 FIM Endurance World Championship, on the 28th-30th July. You can stay up to date with all the latest news via the special Yamaha Suzuka 8 Hours website.

[Image: yamahasuzukawin1.jpg]

Katsuyuki Nakasuga - Yamaha Factory Racing Team

"Today Alex and Michael did some long run tests while I worked on matching the track temperature to our tire selection, and also the suspension settings for the race. It rained during yesterday's afternoon sessions, but overall the heat and humidity were pretty close to what It'll be like in the race, so it was a great three days of testing. But looking at our rivals, they've got new bike models this year and they've also gotten faster, so I think the whole team will have to really focus on getting the job done. For our riding position, we've found a good compromise that lets all three of us ride how we want to. The next time we'll be back here is for the actual race. Let's go get that third straight win! With our team, we can definitely do it. Fans, we're counting on you to cheer us on!"

Alex Lowes - Yamaha Factory Racing Team

"Overall it was really positive. Our feeling with the bike is quite good. The first day was a bit difficult because we came straight from America, but it's been a good test. We finished with a race stint simulation and it felt quite good. Our lap times were really consistent. I think my last lap was in the 2:08s and our average time was around 2:09.1. Of course, Michael and Nakasuga-san both did good jobs. Looking toward the race, the atmosphere in the team is good; generally, everything is good. I'll go home for one week, rest, relax and focus on the Suzuka 8 Hour."

Michael van der Mark - Yamaha Factory Racing Team

"I'm really happy with the test. To be honest we didn't change a lot with the bike, which is good. And especially today we did a long run, and it's good to confirm that the bike works for the three of us. We were really fast and consistent. Of course, the race is different but it's good that we all have a good feeling with the bike and there were no big problems. I'm happy to finish the test and looking forward to the race. For the 8 Hours, it's not only the bike setup but also teamwork that's really important, and we already have a good atmosphere in the team. It's nice; everybody is relaxed. Of course, the race weekend there is a little bit more pressure, but I'm really looking forward to the race. Now I'm heading back home to the Netherlands. What's the first thing I'm going to do when I get home? Get lots of sleep! That's important for the 8 Hours too."

[Image: yamahasuzukawin2.jpg]

Wataru Yoshikawa - Yamaha Factory Racing Team Manager

"This has been an excellent three days of testing. There are a few things we want to work on with the bike's settings, but all three riders are in agreement about what we should do, so we know which direction to go and that's a big positive. We also wanted to do some long runs to check the fuel consumption and we were able to do that during the last session on Day 3. Alex and Michael were in charge of that work, and their average lap times were low 2:09s. Alex kept getting faster and was on track to get into the 2:07s, but I had to ask him to slow down! All-in-all the team is in good shape. I hope everyone is looking forward to the race!"

Broc Parkes - YART Yamaha Official EWC Team

"We had a very good three days of testing. From the first test to today we improved the package and made the bike really comfortable, so we feel really positive. We did a race run and the lap times were very consistent, and actually quite good on average I think compared to the other teams. That's because of Kohta and my experience here, which was also good because we could help Marvin since it's his first time here. I think now we can be happy and pretty much come to the race with confidence."

Marvin Fritz - YART Yamaha Official EWC Team

"From the first test to here we improved the bike a lot. All three of us feel really good on the bike and make consistent lap times. I definitely still have a lot to learn and improve. Normally I'm really good at learning new tracks, but Suzuka is really difficult to learn so I couldn't see that coming. The last chicane is really good, but the first chicane after the hairpin is very tough. So, I learned a lot from Kohta and from Broc and I get better every day. My lap times are not so bad, so we're in a good position. But I still have to improve a bit, so we'll take it step by step. Suzuka is really hot and hard on the body so I'm pretty tired. But I'll take this chance to rest and get ready for the race."

Kohta Nozane - YART Yamaha Official EWC Team

"Our main goal for this test was to raise our average lap time. Of course, we were able to do that to a certain extent, but to be honest the setup is a little different to what I like [laughs]. Until now this season, every track we've been to was totally new to me so nothing felt too strange, but I know Suzuka Circuit well and I actually would have liked to give more input on the setup. That's mainly because this race is in my home country and because it's the Suzuka 8 Hours, but that's really the hard part about endurance racing. All three of us are fighting together as a team and it's our job as riders to get a good result. But even so, I did some long runs today with Broc and we were in the 2:09s and 2:10s, so I think that's good. The race is almost here. I'll do my best to gel with the machine and go for it!"

Mandy Kainz - YART Yamaha Official EWC Team Manager

"We made really good progress from the first test last week until today. So, we are really confident that we have a really high race pace and we can do a good performance, so we're just hoping for a good race weekend. We're confident, but about the other competitors we cannot say for sure. This year's competition is harder than last year. But we're stronger and all three riders are very fast. For sure Marvin improved a lot because he was never here before, but the strength of our team is that we have three fast riders with similar pace. So, I think we can have a good race pace. We're just hoping for a little bit of luck in the race."

David Checa - GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team

"For sure for me it was tough. I had a race the Sunday before the test and I started the first day here at 1:00 in the afternoon. I arrived here and made five or six laps the first day, just to get used to the bike. But I was really tired, so I didn't push. Generally, we tested a lot of things. We especially tested the Dunlop tires and found the one we want to use. For sure to fight for the victory we know is difficult, because here is a special race for all the factory teams. We worked really well, we are happy and we expect to do a good result here because we are a strong team with strong riders and we know that the bike is good. So, we will try to do a good result for Yamaha, for Dunlop, for the team and for my teammates."

Niccolò Canepa -GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team

"It's nice to ride on this beautiful circuit. It's amazing to be here with all these champions and all these fast bikes. We tried to work on the bike to find the most comfortable, easy-to-ride bike and I think we did it. At the moment, we are the fastest of our competitors in the EWC. But we know that our target is not to win the race here. Our goal is the championship title. We don't want to take too many risks to try to achieve a result that's too much for us. We did a good job. We leave Suzuka with good motivation for the race weekend, and we're ready."

Mike Di Meglio - GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team

"The test was really valuable because I haven't ridden here since 2003. I needed to make laps the first day to understand the track with a 1,000cc bike, but the feeling improved every session. We were also working a lot on the tyre to understand which way to go. And it's quite positive because every day we improved our lap time and the pace of the bike looks quite good. It was a positive test and we are excited to be back here for the race."

Christophe Guyot - GMT94 Yamaha Official EWC Team

"We are very happy because our pace has improved. For the moment, our best lap time is a 2:10.8 and we can do 2:11s as our race pace on used tyres. The very good thing is that we are consistent. And we have also now found the right tyres. Also in the wet, the tyres here from Japan are unbelievable. Yesterday during one moment we were in 1st. Sure, in case of rain, we can be at the front, but in the dry it's difficult. In each session, we were in front of our main championship opponent, which is very important for us. So now the main thing is to be totally prepared for any problems that might happen during a long eight-hour race. Our mechanics are preparing for that. So right now, I would not say we are 'confident,' but rather I would say we are very 'focused' and in a very good position."
(This post was last modified: 14-07-2017, 12:37 PM by Malcolm.)
14-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Website Find Reply