Jimmie Guthrie to be Guest of Honour at 2017 Manx Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Jimmie Guthrie to be Guest of Honour at 2017 Manx Grand Prix
[Image: mgplogo2015.jpg]

Former Manx grand prix winner from way back in 1967, Jimmie Guthrie has been flown in to take part in this year’s Manx Grand Prix race meeting fifty years after winning the Senior Manx Grand Prix. Guthrie, now 80 years old, was a former works rider for Francis Beart.

He is seen here with the Manx Norton he rode with great success in the South African TT Sunshine Series. On his last outing before hanging up his leathers, Jimmie won all six legs of the Pretoria and Cape Town races to claim the 500cc Classic Series, overall winner.

Guthrie, now retired, lives in Durban, Kwazulu Natal, away from the track, but has a full line up of official reception duties, which include tea and biscuits with the Governor Sir Richard Gozney.

On Monday the 28th August Guthrie will start the Manx Grand Prix Newcomers Race and will also award the garlands to the winners. Along with this he will also preside at the Newcomers presentation night.

Jimmie Guthrie was upbeat about being awarded his honourable status over 50 years ago.

“I won on the Manx Norton and they are still racing competitively. Who would of ever thought that possible? These whole two weeks will be like being able to relive a dream from the distant past,” he said. 

[Image: jimmyguthrie1.jpg]

[Image: jimmyguthrie2.jpg]
Jimmie Guthrie shows his faultless style on the Team Incomplete Manx Norton. He won all six of the SA Classic TT races before retiring at 80.

Jimmie Gurthrie will officiate as the Guest of Honour for this year’s Manx Grand Prix. He is seen here with the Team Incomplete Beart Manx.
28-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Website Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Jimmie Guthrie to be Guest of Honour at 2017 Manx Grand Prix
Well I fell for it.  My next door neighbor is from Hawick and went to the unveiling of the Guthrie Memorial in the park in Hawick and he was telling me about it only yesterday - bizarre coincidence.

When I saw the headline the first thing it brought to mind was that Monty python sketch about Marylin Monroe appearing in a film.

Enjoying the Manx from afar - thanks to Malcolm for coverage and updates.

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
29-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Find Reply