Showdown start does not go to plan at Oulton Park for Shakey
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Showdown start does not go to plan at Oulton Park for Shakey
[Image: shakeyoultonpark.jpg]

With visibility issues hampering Shakey’s opening Race 1 lap times at Oulton Park, the Be Wiser Ducati rider started Race 2 during the opening Showdown round from the back of the 4th row in 12th position.

Shakey made progress throughout the race and was able to pass James Ellison (McAms Yamaha) for 6th after the rider an issue on Lap 9. On the next lap Shakey then put a move on Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) to take 5th. He then had space in front of him as went on to chase down the leading pack of Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki), Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing), Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) and Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) taking almost a second out of the group on his first lap chasing the group down. But Shakey clipped the kerb at Britten’s on Lap 15, losing of couple of places to Josh Brookes (Anvil Tag Hire Yamaha) and Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW), going on to finish his race in that 7th place position.

Glenn Irwin started just behind Shakey in 13th but lost a couple of positions at the start. By two thirds race distance he was ahead of Jakub Smrz (Lloyd Jones/PR Racing) in 12th, but only 0.171s behind Sylvain Guintoli as he chased down the Bennetts Suzuki rider. Irwin ran off track briefly but was able to hold on to his position to finish the race in 12th just ahead of Smrz.

Hopper had lined up on the front row in 3rd after posting impressive laps times during Race 1. The American was swamped as the field entered Old Hall Corner for the first time and down to 5th. He made an early move on Iddon to take 4th but ran wide at Shell Oils Corner and lost the place. Hopper was looking comfortable in 5th as he prepared to retake the position, but on Lap 4 lost the front of his bike at Britten’s chicane ending his race early.

Shakey leaves Oulton Park 3rd in the British Superbikes Championship, a single point behind Brookes and 23 points behind new leader Haslam.

Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati #67) – 7th

“I knew what I needed to do and got my head down to reel the boys in but although I was giving 120% they weren’t coming back quickly enough. And when you try hard like that, you end up making mistakes which is what I did, clipping the kerb at Britten’s for example. I’m not even going to look at the points table but all I know is that things can change quickly in bike racing and this is far from over.”

Glenn Irwin (Be Wiser Ducati #2) – 12th

“I’m struggling from the crash [at Knockhill] It’s going to take time to get back to where I was. It’s such a positive weekend with the news that I’m staying for next year but that wasn’t a cool way to back it up. It’s not a reflection of what I can do but I don’t need to say it because I’ve put it on paper what I can do. But I need to regroup for Assen.”

[Image: bewiserhagerpanel.jpg]
17-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Website Find Reply