Motorhome to the TT
cornishman Offline

Threads: 11
Motorhome to the TT
Hi Guys
just trying to prepare for TT 2019 as next year is already booked by bike.
A friend has a Peugeot Boxer motorhome ( 1st time TT virgin ) and i have a 7.5 ton converted truck to motorhome and bike transport.
Is there a freight company that crosses to the island or have i got to book on the Ben from Heysham and pay a stupid price .
Has anyone taken a 7.5 ton truck or motorhome over and got a rough idea on price during the TT

Cheers Ian
16-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
RE: Motorhome to the TT
Link here to published prices - A or B tariff for TT period:

https://www.steam-packet.com/assets/pdfs...84af42a80b

The document normally lists motorhome tariff, but does not for 2018, if i remember correctly a 5.5m motorhome was the same price as a car & then you would pay £15 for every extra meter.

I paid about £370 return for my motorhome for 2017 TT

I do know commercial vehicles are charged more than motorhomes, but not sure of costs. I was once queried that my VW T5 was a campervan at check in - it was!

Interestingly, if you were to book Dover -Calais ferry (22 miles) for the peak period of July/August, then the cost would be around £200 return - making the Steam Packet cheaper by the mile! Plus you wouldn't get to see the World's Greatest Road Races for free....
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2017, 09:31 AM by Nasher.)
17-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Find Reply
cornishman Offline

Thanks for that Nasher
was your crossing during the TT period and what is your motorhome as my friends is a 4 berth based on a peugeot boxer
Ian
18-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Hi Cornishmen,

All the best people have Peugeot Boxers - & that's what I have! Mine is 5.5m long (MWB) 2.5m high

I normally travel out on the Monday of practice week & return 2 weeks later.

During TT I have to travel via Heysham, as the Steam Packet puts an extra mezzanine floor in the Liverpool craft, for motorcycles, so the maximum vehicle height is, I believe, 2m.
19-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Find Reply
Jonesthebike Offline

Threads: 3
If this of any help it cost me and the Mrs £550 return for our 7m long motorhome this year from heysham
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2017, 12:06 PM by Malcolm.)
28-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
cornishman Offline

I had a word with Steam Packet about the crossing and they recon £400 to £550 depending when we sail so we might go the weekend before practice and have a couple of weeks over there .
Any campsite recommendations with hookups ? from you guys .
I have been looking at Glenlough ,Cronk Aashen and Crossags
Cheers Ian
28-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

My favourite is Peel, as it's has shopping/cafes/pubs close by.
Like most places it fills up pretty quickly.

There are a number of campsites that open just for TT Link Here

https://www.visitisleofman.com/where-to-...motorhomes

Funnily enough, when I first went to the TT in 1976, I stayed at Peel & hated it as all the nightlife was in Douglas & I was a party animal. Much has changed since, Douglas isn't the party town it once was and I'm normally asleep before midnight these days!
28-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
cornishman Offline

We had a Bungalow in Peel this year and it was ok we had a lot of meals in the Marine .
Was that on Peel football club site you stayed just up from shoprite ?
28-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
I've stayed a Glenlough and crossaghs in the past - Glenlough is quite lively and a handy shuttle bus to Douglas but I think the hook-ups get booked well in advance.  Crossaaghs was very quiet during the MGP several years ago- its run by a religious group and the vicar running it was very helpful - facilities were good mainly because it was quiet - didn't think it was still operating, they had some kind of problem a few years ago and banned alcohol from the site which probably didn't help, don't remember any hook-ups. many people I know like Peel but I don't know how many hook-ups it has. I'd get it sorted ASAP if I were you.
29-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

(28-10-2017, 10:24 PM)cornishman Wrote: We had a Bungalow in Peel this year  and it was ok  we had a lot of meals in the Marine .
Was that on Peel football club site you stayed   just up from shoprite ?

No, I was at the campsite next to the swimming pool.
29-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Find Reply
cornishman Offline

Hi Nasher
i realised after i posted it was the swimming pool one as the football club this year was under construction .
I got to think about my friends as at the moment they will be stuck with no transport although i think with a bit of jiggling around i should get 2 bikes inside my truck.
Peel has a lot going on i think ,Peel day ,beach racing ,bike show the only time we go to Douglas is for shopping etc and that was only a couple of times in 10 days each trip.
29-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Find Reply