oulton park
Anonymous
Unregistered

oulton park
JR is in pole for tomorrows Superbikes at Oulton.
02-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: oulton park
Wasnt that good tele?

I enjoyed the racing from Oulton Park.

Whie I was watching, I said to my other half that its been a while since I went there.

Then I realised........ 1962 the Bob Mac memorial meeting!!

Gulp.....where has the time gone...?

ike
04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike i might be biased but i reckon Oulton Park is brilliant and yes i was at the Bob Mac memorial meeting, how long ago? it seems like only yesterday.
04-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I havent done many trips to Oulton (Nr Tarporley! See!) cos of the distance from the western edges of London and the relative proximity of Brands and Crystal Palace (Now WHO remembers that! Works Triumph/BSAs with Ray Pickrell et al racing between the railway sleepers.) It was even a fairly sort trip to Mallory and Thruxton.
No, that trip in 1962 was more of a pilgrimage. Me n my mate were huge fans of Robert MacGregor McIntyre (if he didnt win, he usually broke the bike trying!) and were, like many, saddened by his death. We decided that a trip to the memorial meeting was appropriate. So, we set off with me riding pillion on an elderly AJS jam pot twin.
It was along way up on the back of that! Then we borke down in Tamworth on the way back. But thats another story!!
Memories....
Mike

05-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: oulton park - Shakey
By the way, what news of Shakey Byrne after his crash?

Mike
05-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Remember Crystal Palace well rode there in the early 60s the sweep under the railway bridge was really scary.Wonder if it would get a track license now
05-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

First went to the Palace in 1956, yes that long ago my most memorable sight was Bob Robinson on a big Vincent outfit a kneeler and i believe the first, later i believe ridden by Ted Young as a ETY Vincent, the first true drift i remember.
05-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

My word. Yes, I remember ETY Vincent!

Here we go, memory lane!!

Mike

06-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about Stan Nightingale he was at the Festival of Sidecars 2 years ago and he used to be a regular at Rhydymwyn.
06-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rhydymwyn
Rhydymwyn; that has been likened to racing in a car park! Eric Cheers told me the best way to ride that circuit was to get the bike off the line first, then stick the elbows out and keep everyone back, I think he was a bit of an ace round there.
06-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rhydymwyn
Ah, yes, how well I remember riding round there with my plimsolls firmly planked, so noone could pass me. They don't make circuits like that any more.
06-05-2004, 07:02 PM