North West 200: Ian Hutchinson hopeful of racing as he continues recovery
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
North West 200: Ian Hutchinson hopeful of racing as he continues recovery
[Image: hutchyupdate1.jpg]

Ian Hutchinson says he is "hopeful" of racing at the North West 200 in May as he continues his recovery from injuries suffered at last year's Isle of Man TT.

The 38-year-old Yorkshireman had to have his ankle removed and also broke his femur after crashing at the 27th milestone during the Senior TT.

"I'm doing everything that I can so that I'm ready should the frame come off my leg in time," said Hutchinson.

"All I can do is keep my fingers crossed and give it as long as I can."

"The cut-off point is probably the end of April realistically in terms of getting some time on a bike before the North West,"
added the Bingley rider.

Hutchinson had his leg reconstructed by a surgeon in Cambridge who had treated him before and has had his lower leg lengthened by 40mm to compensate for having the ankle removed.

He had to endure more than 30 operations on his left leg after an accident in 2010 and after a five-year absence returned to win eight TT races in the last three years.

'It's difficult with the frame on, it's painful'

"The actual parts that were broken have healed but unfortunately I had to have my leg lengthened again because of my ankle being removed so that's the bit that is taking longer than I would have hoped.

"It's the second time that I've had my leg lengthened from the same point of bone so it's a bit slow.

"I'm doing all sorts of strength work, all the things I did last time, techniques to train with the frame on, but it's difficult with the frame on, it's painful.

"I'm willing to do it however so that if the frame comes off I am fit enough and strong enough to race and be able to do myself justice."

The 16-times TT winner and three-time North West victor signed for Honda Racing during the winter as team-mate to Northern Ireland's Lee Johnston.

"It's a shame I can't be testing the bike but I went with the team to Monteblanco and Lee is really happy with the bike and they have got a direction to go at.

"They are going to do a few more tests so I'm looking forward to being able to ride it.

"You don't know where you're going to be but I've come back twice before.

"I totally out-did what I thought I could do the last time so I just need to be fit and safe to race with everybody and do what I can on the day."

[Image: bbcsportni.jpg]
17-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Website Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
RE: North West 200: Ian Hutchinson hopeful of racing as he continues recovery
Have I read that correctly? Ian Hutchinson has had his 'ankle removed? I can't believe it!!!
17-03-2018, 03:24 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
It's not just(well I seriously hope not) removal of the ankle bones, I think after having a quick pic on the net what happens is the mechanical/moving bone joints of the ankle are removed then replaced with artificial plastic / metal parts. It looks like a fairly common procedure with arthritis and arthritis from injury patients.
17-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Alfie, I think your assumption may well be correct as a couple of years ago I underwent consultation at Wrightington for my damaged ankle and a couple of options were explained to me as potential fixes for my issue.

Fusion of the joint (to relieve the kind of pain associated with arthritis normally), however this can eliminate flexibility/ motion within the ankle joint.  (Not an option for me).

Bone Graft and Pinning of the joint which has sustained damage of some kind, usually restricting (at least), some flexibility of the joint. (What I had carried out).

Removal of the pertinent Ankle/Leg joint bones necessary to effect the repair required, with prosthetic replacements. which would entail extensive surgical procedures and lengthy recovery.

See Wrightington Link - HERE

From reading the report, I would assume that it is option 3 that Hutchy has had carried out on his ankle/leg joint.

As indicated, I had option 2, but still suffer pain (to a much lesser degree thankfully), and I have lost a  lot of flexibility/motion in the joint itself.

Malcolm
17-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Website Find Reply