Jodie Kidd and Matt Roberts lead new presenter line up for Isle of Man TT Races
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 21
RE: Jodie Kidd and Matt Roberts lead new presenter line up for Isle of Man TT Races
I don't think the TV coverage was anywhere near what it has been in the past, and I hope Green Light make improvements before next year. I tuned in every night to watch that day's racing, only to hear "Let's see what happened last year",   err no, I want to see what happened today, not last year or yesterday.  As for the amount of times we had to be told the way round that graphic model of the Island, I lost count.  Jodie Kidd, whom I am sure is a very nice lady, to me seemed totally superfluous to requirements.  There also seemed to be a lot less helicopter shots and a lot more on board bike filming, but this may be to keep the cost down ?   All in all, I must say I was disappointed with this year's coverage.
10-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Jodie Kidd and Matt Roberts lead new presenter line up for Isle of Man TT Races
I think we have to accept that there will always be a lead-in and a re-cap, along with circuit map etc, because as the popularity of the event grows this means at the start of each episode, someone, somewhere will be watching their first ever TT coverage, so they are setting the scene for the new viewers to get their heads around the plot so to speak.
10-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
I guess it's always tricky to strike that balance between seasoned fans and TV newcomers. The former will get a feeling that it's been dumbed down and the latter that there is a bit of jargon, and this is the same no matter what the sport is. I take Warrior's point about someone somewhere watching their first TT coverage, but that said they don't explain the offside rule in every football highlights programme, nor the LBW rule in each cricket broadcast.

Matt Roberts is a decent motorcycle racing presenter, but he doesn't do the grid walks in his 'day job' and I felt this was the one area where he could improve - he came across as less comfortable doing it than Whitham has done. This may be because of unfamiliarity with the role and/or the riders, but I think he will improve.

The commentary issue is tricky because it must be very difficult to commentate on something as if you were doing it live, but knowing what is coming - I'm not sure anyone will ever crack this. What does annoy me though is the referring to "yesterday's" race when it was that morning. Just because you aren't broadcasting it until the next day there is no need to make out the race happened the day before!

As for Jodie Kidd I don't know quite what to think. When I saw that she was involved I started to follow her on Twitter. On there she comes across as someone who absolutely loved her first TT and I honestly think she'll be back to watch even if she isn't involved in the TV programme (maybe not every year but she seems to have the 'bug'). That said she did come across as a little wooden, particularly in the earlier broadcasts, but that could well be because it's all scripted and she had a lack of first hand knowledge from which to draw upon. I think as her knowledge level increases so will her TT presenting skills as she will be more comfortable with what she's saying. For all their faults, the previous presenting team always came across as a few blokes chatting in the pub or the hedge about the racing, but this comes with depth of knowledge. If Jodie Kidd is as enthusiastic about the TT as she seems to be then maybe over the next year she will watch a few of the review DVDs and the knowledge that that gives her (about the course and the riders) will make her a better presenter IMO.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
11-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Find Reply
charlieb Offline

Threads: 7
Got to say that the Senior race on Friday was without doubt the most exciting TT I have ever watched (and yes, I was at the '92 Senior). I was lucky enough to be at Rhencullen where Hicky pulled off the most amazing overtake of a train of slower riders in order to continue his pursuit of Harrison. The atmosphere was electric around the whole course, yet somehow that evenings broadcast of the race failed to fully capture the excitement. Moreover, there was no footage of Hicky's overtake at Rhencullen, despite the fact that there was a TV crew there (some coverage from Rhencullen was included) and every single person on the bank was looking towards Kirk Michael awaiting Hicky's arrival, so the camera crew should of been well prepared to record what ensued. Maybe the film company could be better suited to recording some of the action away from the circuit, such as the basking sharks at Port Erin............ Confused
11-06-2018, 12:44 PM
Find Reply
BrianW Offline

Threads: 1
I have nothing to add other than I am pleased it is on who ever presents it.
11-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Find Reply
Paveway Offline

Threads: 3
Likewise. Given that the sum total of BBC coverage seemed to consist of a bit of practice week film of some visiting motorcyclists helping some ducks off the road, we should be eternally grateful to ITV4 (and Sky, who show ITV4 HD) for their splendid offerings.

We must let the BBC off though, because the cricket and tennis they show endlessly is so much more exciting than the TT. Anyone remember them cutting off Barry Sheene overtaking Kenny Roberts live at the British GP c1982 to go back to the cricket ("... and Botham walks slowly back.")

If some of the film taken at the time doesn't appear in that evening's show, hopefully we might see it used by Mr Duke in a few month's time in the video, er, DVD, er, Blu-Ray!
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2018, 08:24 PM by Paveway.)
12-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Find Reply