Michael Dunlop joins Tyco BMW for 2018 Isle of Man TT Races
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Dunlop joins Tyco BMW for 2018 Isle of Man TT Races
[Image: 2018presshdr.jpg]

Tyco BMW have today confirmed a new partnership with fifteen-time Isle of Man TT winner Michael Dunlop for the 2018 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy and the other International Road Races.

The 28 year old Northern Ireland rider will campaign the TAS Racing-prepared Tyco BMW S1000RR in the RST Superbike and PokerStars Senior Races at the Isle of Man TT and further International road racing events including the North West 200 and Ulster GP.

With multiple race wins and lap records under his belt since his TT debut in 2007, Michael's skill and determination is without doubt and he remains the first and only rider to lap the 37.73mile Mountain Course in less than 17 minutes. His passion for road racing is mirrored by that of father and son pairing - Hector and Philip Neill - team owner and manager of TAS Racing. The Northern Ireland-based team have to date secured 27 International North West 200 victories and 18 race wins at the iconic Isle of Man TT.

The team's official full road race schedule will be announced in the coming weeks.

Philip Neill – Team Manager:

It has taken some time for this to come together and I’m very happy to confirm Michael Dunlop and TAS Racing/Tyco BMW will finally work together in 2018. Michael and I have discussed options to work together on various occasions and I honestly believe this is a partnership that simply had to happen at some point. My father and I, together with all the guys at TAS Racing, are excited and looking forward to the challenge. We would not be in this position without the support of our partners Tyco and BMW Motorrad and both are extremely happy to reach agreement with Michael for the 2018 season

Michael Dunlop:

Tyco BMW and I have spoken many times but nothing ever came of it, but this year everything fell into place. I think it’s a good time for us both to work together and I think both of us can bring something to the table. I’m looking forward to seeing the outcome”

[Image: mickydontyco1.jpg]
27-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Michael Dunlop joins Tyco BMW for 2018 Isle of Man TT Races
[Image: mickdwithtyco2.jpg]

Tyco BMW deal can drive me to further glory, says Dunlop

Michael Dunlop says the time was right to finally join Northern Ireland's Tyco BMW team to challenge for honours at the international road races in 2018.

The Ballymoney man's deal to ride the S1000-RR Superbike at the North West 200, Isle of Man TT and Ulster Grand Prix was confirmed yesterday, bringing an end to weeks of constant speculation over his plans.

He won the Senior TT in 2017 on the Bennetts Suzuki for Stuart and Steve Hicken's Hawk Racing outfit, but Dunlop passed up the chance to continue on the GSX-R1000 for a second year after testing the machine in Spain at the beginning of this month.

The 28-year-old, whose Supersport and Senior double last year increased his win tally at the TT to 15 victories, has held tentative talks with Philip and Hector Neill of TAS Racing in the past.

However, Dunlop said the deal finally fell into place for 2018 following some last-minute discussions over the past few days.

"Tyco and I have spoken many times but nothing ever came of it, this year everything fell into place," he said.

"I think it's a good time for us both to have a go at a partnership.

"I think both can bring something to the table and I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.

"I'm confident that my own team can do their bit as well with the 600 and Superstock bike, which we are building ourselves, and we have put a lot of effort into having the best bikes below us and the right people around us," Dunlop added.

"I feel good this year and I have ironed out a few small problems I have had with injuries in the past.

"Hopefully we can just go fast now and, if the package is right, I know I'll go fast and that's for sure."

Dunlop is the fastest rider ever to lap the TT course, setting a new outright record on the Hawk Racing BMW in 2016 at almost 134mph. He also made history during the same year, lapping the 37.73-mile Mountain Course in less than 17 minutes for the very first time as he won the Superbike and Senior races.

In 2014, he wrote his name into the history books by winning the Senior TT for BMW Motorrad, clinching the German manufacturer's first victory in the famous race since Georg Meier's triumph in 1939.

It was the icing on the cake of a dominant treble on BMW machinery, with Dunlop also scaling the top step in the Superbike and Superstock races and winning the second Supersport race on his own Honda to wrap up a four-timer.

Dunlop joins Manxman Dan Kneen in the team plus fellow Northern Ireland rider Alastair Seeley, who will race for Tyco BMW at the North West 200 in May. He is set to ride the bike for the first time during a number of upcoming private tests.

Tyco BMW team principal, Philip Neill, admitted the deal with Dunlop had taken considerable time to come to fruition.

"It has taken some time for this to come together and I'm very happy to confirm Michael Dunlop and TAS Racing/Tyco BMW will finally work together in 2018.

"Michael and I have discussed options to work together on various occasions and I honestly believe this is a partnership that simply had to happen at some point.

"Hector and I, together with all the guys at TAS Racing, are excited and looking forward to the challenge," he added.

"We would not be in this position without the support of our partners Tyco and BMW Motorrad and both are extremely happy to reach agreement with Michael for the 2018 season."

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
John Hutchinson
28-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Website Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
Who is going to finish second at the 2018 TT?

29-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Should be a foregone conclusion, however though I am a firm believer in the old motto "to finish first first you have to finish"

At least thankfully it won't be GM finishing second though.
29-03-2018, 12:18 PM
Find Reply
Azman Offline

Threads: 5
Sorry ....but its seems all about MD, MD, MD to me?

"Its turned out quite nice ....." Beer2
Riggsy
02-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Find Reply