TT 2019 bookings open on Monday
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: TT 2019 bookings open on Monday
[Image: manxtelecombig.jpg]

Phone problem affects Island

Landlines down

There is currently a major problem affecting incoming and outgoing landline calls on the Island.

This includes Noble's Hospital and all the Island’s GP surgeries.

The Cabinet Office has issued a release to say members of the public may be unable to reach goverment phone numbers.

Manx Telecom engineers are working to resolve the issue, which they say occurred at about 8.35am and was caused by failed ISDN circuits.

They immediately invoked their 999 divert plan.

The 999 service is currently (10am) only operating on the mobile network, which is unaffected.

Tweetbeat reports that at this time the network problem is with MT mobile numbers and landlines. The Sure network is OK, and 999 calls are getting through from MT and Sure.

Manx Gas say anyone needing to report a suspected gas leak should call the mobile number 07624 206487

[Image: manxradiologo.jpg]
21-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Manx Telecom reported that "ISDN circuits" went down at 8:35am and it's caused all sorts of chaos, family tried to ring GP this morning and that linked phone service was all down too.
21-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Threads: 3
Cheers for that I'll tell the girl to leave it for a bit.
21-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
Tell her to keep trying, I got through at 11am.... So, the phone lines are up

=======================================================================
See you on the island
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2018, 11:44 AM by Malcolm.)
21-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
When do normal people give up?

Three and a half hours. Three times chose sailings online but crashed before payment can be made!

Still trying.....

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
21-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

Wahey! We got through, Friday of practice week until the Sunday following the Senior Big Grin
21-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Booked at last on the phone line. Thursday practice week to the last Sunday of race week. Same as this year. It all seems worth it now
21-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

I was so close to giving up. After about 4 and a half hours I finally completed my booking online. Sadly didn't get the exact sailings (they were still available the first three times I started to book online) but happy with what we did get.

Relieved we're going, but really starting to question if I ever want to go through this morning's experience again. It's never taken me more than about an hour in the past.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
21-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
Last year, I tried to book using 2 mobile phones, and a land line on constant redial for 3 hrs without getting through. This as well as trying to log on to the website during that time without success.
By 11.30am I finally gave up and spat my dummy telling the wife ' thats it, I am not going'
30 second later, I decided to ride over to the Pier Head in Liverpool to see if I could book there. Thirty minutes later, I was booked on the sailings I wanted.
This year, I decided to go straight to the Pier Head at 8.30am and not bother with the phones or website. When I got there, there were about 80 people in the queue. One guy had been there since 4.30am! All booked and paid for within the hour.
Far less stressful than previous years. I dont know what they achieved this year by opening the bookings a week earlier, there is still the same demand all at the same time?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
22-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Find Reply
chris4652009 Offline

Threads: 5
Did everyone get the crossings they wanted? I did mine on the website early yesterday morning without issue (just got lucky I guess). felt bad for this that tried doing it on the phone all day though
22-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

I can only speculate on why it was brought forward and I guess it is so that people can book before they travel (for those who go to practice week). I felt that with yesterday being a working day rather than a bank holiday the website would take more traffic and the phones would not be as busy as previously.

My experience was that the opposite was true, although I have no idea what impact the on island phone problems had yesterday.

22-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Find Reply
Nasher Offline

Threads: 30
I was more than happy booking online yesterday morning & getting the sailings I wanted.

Last year, I got off the ferry at 06:00 and joined the queue in Douglas, it was 11:30 before I got a booking and that booking meant staying on the IOM until the Tuesday after race week. (Fortunately, by regularly checking the website, I managed to get a more suitable return sailing.)

Not sure what the SP can do, it's a hugely popular event and once a year they have this massive booking problem, not helped this year by a telephone issue.

Still, I'll be arriving on Saturday for 2 weeks of heaven - yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
22-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

(22-05-2018, 01:20 PM)Nasher Wrote: Not sure what the SP can do, it's a hugely popular event and once a year they have this massive booking problem, not helped this year by a telephone issue.

I'm not sure what they can do either as it's not my field of expertise. However, although the SP are generally in a different marketplace, perhaps they should take a look at how other major sporting events or concert ticket sellers operate as they rarely seem to suffer the same problems despite often having a bigger demand for tickets.

23-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Find Reply
Timmy594 Offline

Threads: 4
I eventually got sorted online at 13:15 after trying from 8am. Having to come back Friday night on the half 10 boat which I hate but beggers cant be choosers. Definately thinking about riding from Castleford to Liverpool next year to book at the office.
(This post was last modified: 24-05-2018, 01:06 PM by Timmy594.)
24-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I suppose it depends on what sailings you want?
Personally, I want to be there for the whole of race week, so that means being there on the Friday, and coming back after the Senior the following Friday. Years ago, I always booked the sailing for the Sunday after the Senior, as it wasnt uncommon for the race to be on the Saturday due to bad weather.
The sailing I want now is out on the Friday 3,30 am boat, and back on the Late boat the following Friday, both from Liverpool.
One way to avoid some of the strain on the system is to offer an automatic renewal for the following year. I seems obvious, but what do I know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
25-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Find Reply
AntG Offline

I've booked the Friday 3:30 boat from Liverpool too though I am coming back the following Sunday just in case the Senior is put back although it hasn't happened since 2012 when it didn't run at all in the end. I try and get at least 3 race days in if I can, like this year I arrive on Mad Sunday and go the following Sunday, I'd love to do the whole fortnight but I'd have to stay in a proper bed and I can't afford that. It was weird this year booking for next, it's like another poster said you forget the stress of trying to get through once you've booked it!
25-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Find Reply
H2pots Offline

Threads: 11
The first race of the 2019 tt is the race for a bloody crossing 😀

I'm tempted to drive to Liverpool next year, it's an hour and half from me and sounds a lot less painful than the phone/internet debacle.

=======================================================================
See you on the island
26-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Find Reply