Todd's revved up for TT after landing top newcomer award
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Todd's revved up for TT after landing top newcomer award
[Image: daveytodd1.jpg]

Young gun Davey Todd has a spring in his step heading into practice at the Isle of Man TT after claiming the top newcomer award at Saturday’s Vauxhall International North West 200.

The 22-year-old chalked up four top-15 finishes on the Burrows Engineering Racing Suzuki in an impressive debut at the event, including 12th place in Thursday’s first Superstock race and the opening Superbike race on Saturday.

Todd followed up with two strong rides on the GSX-R1000, taking 13th in the second Superstock race and Saturday’s big Superbike finale. It was an encouraging display by the North Yorkshire rider, who is now preparing to make his TT debut for Burrows.

Todd said:

“The guys worked really hard to get the bikes sorted and the Suzuki GSX-R1000 was awesome. I’ve never gone that fast in my life and it was crazy getting used to that.

“It was really weird that the hardest part of the circuit for me was going down that main back straight and getting used to the sheer speed. I really enjoyed the rest of the course and I loved the circuit — it honestly felt nuts because it was just so fast.

“After putting in so much work to do the North West 200 for the first time, it has definitely left me really eager to get on the bikes again at the TT.”

Todd did not have much luck on his Honda Super Sport machine after sliding off unscathed in the opening race on Thursday and then retiring in Saturday’s second encounter.

However, he more than made amends in the 1000cc class for the Dungannon-based team and his results were all the more impressive considering he has very limited experience on the biggest capacity machinery.

He added: “I’m really happy with how it went. It was a tough weekend to start off with but it was just all about learning the track and getting used to it.

“We’re in the process of getting set up and it’s beginning to sink in now that we’re here and the TT is next.

“I’m really excited to have the chance to ride the best circuit in the world and I’ve put in a lot of work to learn the circuit and be as prepared as I can be.

“I can’t wait to get going and I know it will take a lot more learning and more years to really know the circuit, so now I just want to get out there and enjoy it.”

The team’s senior rider, Derek Sheils, did not compete at the North West and was in action at Horice in the Czech Republic instead, where he was riding the Penz BMW he is set to race at the TT.

The Dublin man will continue riding for John Burrows’ team at the Irish National road races following the conclusion of the TT next month.

[Image: belfast-telegraphlogo.gif]
Peter Simpson
21-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Website Find Reply